Crazy pricing - what's worst you've seen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A girl at collage the other said she had advertised acrylic/gel nails for 15 pounds on her facebook as she is in training.

she said that she got a reply under her add from a facebook friend/ mobile therapist saying

"ill do them for 10 pounds and im actually qualified girls'

that really happened lol

How rude... I think I would actually go crazy if somebody dared do something like that to me!! Hopefully people who read that, thought the mobile therapist who replied with that was extremely unprofessional!! Xx

In Liverpool everyone is fighting for custom and some have been known to imitate salons/mobile therapists by copying the username on Facebook and adding all the other persons clients and trying to take business that way!

Price wars are common, everyone undercutting others. One of my new clients who came to me after someone messed her brows up and she was in need of getting the done on a Sunday ( she was in Uni the next day ) txt me for an appointment, gave her a date and time, then she said she was going someone where else as they offered HD Brows for £10 ( mine are £25 unless your a student with a valid NUS card then you'd pay £20 ) she did come to me though and cancelled her appointment with the other girl because she likes the way I do them but this is what I have to put up with daily! - People also lie and pretend to use certain products in treatments but dont. And charge crazy prices for nails £5, spray tans £5, facials £5 and so on

Gee whizz. That's pretty ruthless
:(
Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I have a girl on my Facebook who I added through the "What is your salon Facebook" thread...so she's a Geek...she has these daft prices you're all talking about which I just tend to laugh at. Last night made me fume though...

"I've just ordered my Shellac, ladies...these are the colours I am getting"....and she's added a photo of several bottles of Bluesky 'Shellac'. Naughty naughty I thought. Then right after that post she's actually added the CND Shellac official marketing picture (the one of the red nail).

Made me fume as she's using Bluesky but contradicting that with the CND logo!!! Talk about confusing your clients.

Shame on you, you know who you are.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

This is shocking! Thankfully CND is a well recognised brand and word will soon get out...she probably got her certificates out a goody bag lol

Just seen on gumtree someone offering a full set of acrylics, a eyebrow wax and a cut & finish for £45. x

The one I saw the other day offering Shellac for £12 and fake bake for £7 is now offering Shellac for £7 including a free pedicure and giving free tans to the first 10 people who like her page!!! OMG

Gosh.
Actually, I feel for people if they're having to practically give it away.
Times are very hard, indeed.

There is so much more to being a salon owning/self employed beauty therapist than being a good therapist. Having a scintilla of business acumen would help, for a start.

Years ago I was at a comedy club and the act was heckling an audience member. She said she was at university reading business studies. His response was both witty and accurate.
"Business studies?! WTF is there to learn about that?! You buy stuff, you sell it for more!"

Gosh.
Actually, I feel for people if they're having to practically give it away.
Times are very hard, indeed.

There is so much more to being a salon owning/self employed beauty therapist than being a good therapist. Having a scintilla of business acumen would help, for a start.

Years ago I was at a comedy club and the act was heckling an audience member. She said she was at university reading business studies. His response was both witty and accurate.
"Business studies?! WTF is there to learn about that?! You buy stuff, you sell it for more!"
LOL,wonder what he would have said if she was doing a course on self respect.....now that and BS (as in business and not the other BS) would make a dynamic combination for some of the peeps on this thread.

I think it takes balls and a little fierceness ( as well as loads of business sense) to hold your ground in times like these when others are doing the silly prices.... it just seems that once one starts doing it the rest follow.

I'm very clear and open .. I don't do offers... but I do try and be creative and put my own spin on things and give amazing one on one customer service... I've a really good loyal following..yes I would like more... yes its challenging... but rather than work for silly prices and make little profit ... I'm sticking with my strategy

Likewise as has been mentioned previously some geeks who added me through the facebook thread are offering crazy prices.... because I think when we are chatting on here its like we are talking about 'other salons no salon geeks' but obviously the reality is that many of our fellow geeks are part of the crazy pricing phenomenon

Hi
Just saw that on poor old Group0n

Microdermabrasion: One (£14), Five (£54) or Ten (£94) Sessions at ******* (Up to 72% Off)
Cant see any details wether thats Crystal MD (cream) or Diamon MD.
And with Groupon taking up to 50% of you thats under £5 a treatment (from package of 10). Products must cost more.

Should I get one for myself as an "experience" treat ;-)

Or will buy loads and resell on fleabay with few quid profit.

Last edited:
Yesterday I was over the road from my house popping to the paper shop, next door is a barbers. Now, this place has always been a bit dodgy, case in point - they used to sell fruit an veg outside and at Christmas they sell trees! Bit of an odd combo! Anyhoo, yesterday I noticed signs plastered all over the window and a free standing sign out the front. All the prices are a joke, £10 for everything, including lash extensions. £8 for "refills" (they obviously mean infills, never heard that phrase before though). They also were offering facials and microdermabrasion for £10. The website is also proper odd and in general the whole thing screams dodgy.

Edited: tried to add the price list image but it's a png file and wouldn't work. Have removed it, wasn't trying to name and shame.

I've just been reading some of this thread (not all though as it's massive)

I'm genuinely shocked :eek: at what's going on, I knew before embarking on this new mission of mine that there were a lot of "Nail Bars" about but I didn't realise that the competition was so fierce.

I hope you ladies, who charge a decent/proper price and give an excellent service stand your ground because when the dust settles after this bleeding recession I'm hoping that all of you are still here doing what you do best and the ones who do the cheapy cheapy service and have undercut soooo much have all but disappeared.

I'm hoping, when fully trained, that my artistic/creative skills will shine through (with regards to nail art whether it's gel or acrylic) and hopefully that will make me stand out a little from what's available locally.

Also speaking as a customer of a salon in the past there's no way I'd pay £7 or £10 for my gel nails I'd expect to pay more, at those prices you've got to ask what's wrong with them?

So, I just checked the public register for special treatment licenses with my council and that shop wasn't on there, as expected. So I rang the council and reported it. Bit concerned, as I had to leave my name, number and address, though he swore he wouldn't give out my details. I said it wasn't a complaint (he kept using that phrase) and that I was just giving them a heads up, as I think they are bypassing local laws; we shall see. Hope I did the right thing and this doesn't come back to bite me in the behind!

Just seen on gumtree someone offering a full set of acrylics, a eyebrow wax and a cut & finish for £45. x

I mentioned to my hairdresser the above today... She informed me that this was all happing at a Barbers. That the person who was doing this was offering acrylics & a eyebrow wax as she does her own so thought she make some extra money. I've gone onto said shop website and seen pics of nails all I can say is awful. x

I do not know how thus person is making a living - a curly blow, eyebrow shape and tint, acrylic nails and a spray tan! For 30 quid!!!!! To put it even more in perspective, my salon is about a mike away and the total cost if that would be about 100 !! So cannot imagine the quality of work or products. Also it was in a local magazine, which I know is not all that Cheap, she can't be even covering costs !@

Its everywhere!!!! Shellac is really popular where I live and I only charge £18 in a lovely salon. Its so frustrating all I see on fB is other shops/salons/homers doing it for £10.

I know they are prob cutting corners but customers dont. How can I advertise at a higher price without getting ignored on fb?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using SalonGeek

Last edited by a moderator:
Its everywhere!!!! Shellac is really popular where I live and I only charge £18 in a lovely salon. Its so frustrating all I see on fB is other shops/salons/homers doing it for £10.

I know they are prob cutting corners but customers dont. How can I advertise at a higher price without getting ignored on fb?

Sent from my GT-P5110 using SalonGeek

It is everywhere and I get most of my clients from Facebook but I constantly put pictures of actual products ( so people can see the real thing) and I have 4 nail bars in my local village all competing but I refuse to lower my prices. I'd rather have a lower intake of clients and charge than undercharge and be in undated with clients who expect the earth for their money. I'm mobile and people love the fact I go to them in their own home especially when children are sleeping and as they say "it's priceless" for them to have me time.
Don't lower your prices and stand your ground yes they will go to cheaper places first but realise if they pay cheap prices its cheap services. I've also used pictures to say Im
Insured with beauty guild etc to show its professional and new clients are shocked when I do a consultation card with them " they don't do these in the other shops I've been "
...... Says it all
HTH xx

I've just seen these prices,
Eyebrow shape and tint £6
Any three treatments £30 which can be; facials, waxing, tinting, eyelash extensions or shellac!! X

I do not know how thus person is making a living - a curly blow, eyebrow shape and tint, acrylic nails and a spray tan! For 30 quid!!!!! To put it even more in perspective, my salon is about a mike away and the total cost if that would be about 100 !! So cannot imagine the quality of work or products. Also it was in a local magazine, which I know is not all that Cheap, she can't be even covering costs !@

I've a feeling you're talking about my friend's salon, and I agree it is shocking! £5 Wednesdays too, pretty much any treatment you want for a fiver :\ nails etc included. I'd much rather charge more and provide quality!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've a feeling you're talking about my friend's salon, and I agree it is shocking! £5 Wednesdays too, pretty much any treatment you want for a fiver :\ nails etc included. I'd much rather charge more and provide quality!

Really!! The main problem is how do you recover from such low prices?? People will expect it all the time and want more and more from you! You would be working your pants off for nothing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back