Crazy pricing - what's worst you've seen?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Full Body Hot Stone Massage for...... Wait for it....£10!!! :eek:

I don't even offer massage as i focus on nails and tanning but someone near me charges £8 for a full body! One week she will charge £10 for shellac then it will creep up to £14 and back down again...I just don't understand how people make any money after cost and tax etc? The thing is though is some people actually buy into it and would prefer cheap nails than good nails...

That is absolutely the issue- I'm not bothered about my prices being undercut because I know these cheapies will go out of business cos they can't afford to live on what they are making- the problem is how many customers do they get that have never had a treatment before- get a rubbish service and then blame the products. We've all seen the people who say that Shellac and Gel polishes ruined their nails when we know it was the rubbish therapist that caused the issue not the product. The damage is done though and that person will never get the treatment again- and nor will their friends who they've told.

Oh my god I get this all the time from clients ! " gelish /shellac has ruined my nails" I can't believe people blame the products and it's actually annoying because it really isn't the product it is the therapist not having a clue what she is doing , or the client ripping it off their nail and not soaking it off , it annoys me though because then it puts them off of coming to you and it's a real shame because we know how good gelish /shellac really is xx

I saw one that offers services for 90% off on it's anniversary. I think that's too much.

A lady near me used to have Gelish done by me and asked lots of question like what I was doing and why, I though she was just curious etc then one day I get a text saying she won't be coming to me anymore and cancelling her appointment. She then deletes me on FB and I think nothing of it until her friend who must have forgotten she had added me posted 'please like my friends new page, she offers shellac for £10!' I know this woman is not trained, insured or able to buy real shellac so god knows what she is doing to these women. A couple if months later I checked up on her page and lie and behold its been deleted as have her friends post about her nails. I was just annoyed she basically got her 'training' from watching me!

A lady near me used to have Gelish done by me and asked lots of question like what I was doing and why, I though she was just curious etc then one day I get a text saying she won't be coming to me anymore and cancelling her appointment. She then deletes me on FB and I think nothing of it until her friend who must have forgotten she had added me posted 'please like my friends new page, she offers shellac for £10!' I know this woman is not trained, insured or able to buy real shellac so god knows what she is doing to these women. A couple if months later I checked up on her page and lie and behold its been deleted as have her friends post about her nails. I was just annoyed she basically got her 'training' from watching me!

Iv had a client like this I get really annoyed that people can do this and get away with it, well think they can I went around commenting on their pages on Facebook leaving my recommendation :) it's safe to say the pages arnt up anymore lol

£2 eyebrow wax for schoolgirls .........there goes their lunch money ! :irked:

maybe you should book an appointment with her for your nails...just to see how much she has improved since your training lmao...could provide her with some feedback? haha

ooo this kind of carry on is frustrating yes but you know what people generally are intelligent and can see the difference...

there is an element of perfection and attention to detail that only comes about through years of hard work and learning from mistakes

Right ok, Im gonna get it, BUT the only reason half these therapists can do these treatments so cheap is either they are being supported by parents or the welfare state. Basically if there was no housing benefit, income support, tax credits they could not do it, in which case it is just a hobby. The goverment are to blame for this I understand that there needs to be a welfare state, but in the last 15 years I have seen this profession move into the same in the same regard as cash in hand part time cleaner. Sorry Im gonna get it but can't help my views...

Right ok, Im gonna get it, BUT the only reason half these therapists can do these treatments so cheap is either they are being supported by parents or the welfare state. Basically if there was no housing benefit, income support, tax credits they could not do it, in which case it is just a hobby. The goverment are to blame for this I understand that there needs to be a welfare state, but in the last 15 years I have seen this profession move into the same in the same regard as cash in hand part time cleaner. Sorry Im gonna get it but can't help my views...

I don't think this can be true of ALL of these places or "therapists", but I believe it does certainly play a part in some of them. I have a "friend" who is on various benefits/tax credits etc, who knows how to work the system to her advantage...and she also does massage (which she is fully qualified to offer, I should state), and eyebrow shaping and tinting...which she is not qualified to offer, for £5 a set. It drives me insane!!! Makes a complete mockery of all my training, and she just doesn't see why she shouldn't do it and charge people, because she's "as good as a professional" (She's not. Unless you count making EVERY pair of eyebrows look like Scouse Brows...no matter what the client wants...!!).

Oh, and yesterday I saw a sign in a well respected salon window near me advertising "Full set of acrylic nails for £10"...! I was shocked! I never thought this particular salon would stoop so low, but perhaps times are hard??

Starting to think this dog eat dog world is reason for low prices. I was mobile now in a salon and my prices have slightly lowered due to competitors around, I'm still making enough money but wish I could charge more on this area!
Everyone's doing what they can to make money x

Saw an offer once...'Full set acrylics £10 for new customers, £15 for existing customers.'

The (lack of) logic behind this offer just baffles me

£25 full head h/l
£14 t section
£13 full head tint
How people make a living on this I don't know it was off a mobile flyer after buying colours ect they wouldn't be left with much to live off x

Just seen eyebrow shape in Croydon for £2.99!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just seen these advertised on fb!
Gelish £8!!

Last edited by a moderator:
OR!! (puts devils advocates hat on).

Or they're not as mad/weird/propped up by welfare as you think they are.

Perhaps these low prices are "loss-leaders", maybe they're getting people in with a marquee low price with the intention of gaining a repeat customer who they can then "upsell" other services to.

I'm not an expert in nail pricing (we run an extensionists with a posh-bird clientele, price isn't a MASSIVE issue for us, quality is) - but this kind of pricing policy isn't that unusual in the service industry.

There's a difference between people naively trying to undercut people and then giving a crap service (they'll be out of business in 12 months, I see this all the time in the design industry where someone with a copy of Photoshop is suddenly a graphic designer) and people trying a clever (and proven) sales technique.

Just a thought anyway :)

Just seen this in Croydon.....

I live in croydon and thats the going rate from there to camberwell! prices from £2.50 to £4 MAX in south london

In some respects (apologises to anyone who does home visits and such, I'm not judging you or how your work, or even the quality of your work) but I think that these kind of things both hair and beauty, should be kept in a professional environment (in salon) and not in someone's living room.

In some respects (apologises to anyone who does home visits and such, I'm not judging you or how your work, or even the quality of your work) but I think that these kind of things both hair and beauty, should be kept in a professional environment (in salon) and not in someone's living room.

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back