Creative short courses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
“ Originally Posted by Kimmi Rocks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Surely, if we make too much fuss about techs who have only completed short courses, then all of us who trained with Creative for example will be classed as unqualified. I know a lot of NVQ techs who laugh at how short Creative courses are yet their nails are awful. It's my experience that it doesn't matter how long the course lasted, it's all down to the integrity of the tech and experience which only comes with the more clients or models we have.

I wanted to make a reply to this post and about another comment that was made on another topic about how 'not to do nails'. Which went something like "AND she was trained/uses Creative"!!

If a dedicated nail technician completes his/her Creative training it will take approximately a YEAR.!! With hours and hours of practice and commitment in between asessments. At the end, those dedicated technicians will be Creative Master Technicians. THEN they can claim to be fully trained by Creative. Until then, one could only claim to be part trained and will not have completed the course.

Those technicians who only choose to take certain modules of the Complete Creative course and never do anything else, can in my opinion not claim to have been fully trained by Creative Nail Design.

I still believe Creative Foundation training to be the best foundation a budding nail technician can have, but is is just that ... the foundation on which to build ones skills. One must go on and complete the course.

The fact that someone has some Creative training will not mean that they have a passport to being automaticallly the best nail technician in the world. There are plenty of technicians who use Creative products and are not doing fabulous work ... they certainly will not have completed the whole course and will not be Creative Masters. To become a Creative Master Technician takes time and study and skill for which one is assessed. NOT everyone passes ... it depends again on the time and effort the technician has put in to becoming the best he/she can be.

If you added up the hours spent both in and out of the class room on a Creative course, it is in many cases , more than the time spent on an NVQ course. We are pretty proud of the standard most of our technicnas reach over a 4 week period. In many cases the work produced is better than I see coming out of salons! But the important thing to remember is that the 4 weeks represents a start not the finish

I whole heartedly agree with what you say - I was told by a fellow technician only this Friday - Why do you need more traning - surely you've done enough now

I was like - your kiddin right - I want to do level 3 NVQ, Creative L&P converstion, a Pedicure Course and airbrushing and that's just in this year alone...not even started thinking about the next year just quite yet...

But i digress, the point I am trying to make is that generally society today believes anything they want should be handed to them on a plate and that you dont have to work hard to get anywhere let alone have persoal goals and aspirations it;s the old 'i wanna get rich quick which don't come off for the majority of us without a lot of hard work and practice ....

But hell like on the other threat how cares - as long as their are dummies out their not willing to learn and be the best they can it makes be shine more...

Sorry Sam, if this is the wrong place to put this but here goes.

The fact alone that someone uses Creative Nail Design products does not unfortunately guarantee excellence - I only wish it was that straightforward LOL.

As long as we have inconsiderate people who are willing to sell "professional" products of whatever brand on the likes of E-bay there will always be this problem of untrained, unprofessional technicians using our sacred products.

In the UK people should be able to only be Creative Nail Design users if they have been trained and again only the Foundation stage is needed for this. However it is very difficult to legislate for people at the shows.

In order to tighten up on these sort of things a company could insist that after a certain period of time the technicians would need to do follow up training but this would be quite risky for a company as the general public are very fickle and we see it all of the time where people will flit from one product to the next to try out what may be a little bit cheaper - been there, done that and now I proudly wear the T-shirt LOL.

We should get our own house in order I think first of all and stop the e-baying etc of Liquid and Powder products especially - if we see things for sale on E-bay then we could be contacting the seller or bidders and explain about how proud we are of our different brands - if someone is selling a powder the bidder should be made aware that the powder is of no use without the liquid etc.

We all got up in arms about the MMA thing and signed Rachel's petition - we should be getting equally as passionate about the untrained hands. You can set an alert on E-bay (for those who didnt know LOL) so that you get an e-mail when any products of a certain description come up for sale - Creative, EZ Flow, TT etc.

We are all very good a complaining about things that upset us privately here (myself included LOL) but we need to start doing something about it. Sorry I have gone on a bit as I do when something gets me riled LOL.

hi i think it is the same with any trade, if you want to be really good at what you do you have to keep going on courses, i recently went on an intensive training course in london to do beauty and even though i am insured to do the public i personally dont feel like i am qualified enough!! so i am going on to do my nvq 2/3 in sept, now it seems like i wasted a ton of money to some people that tell me(i wouldnt bother doing anymore training,) but i want to feel like i know the ins and outs of all aspects , so it is costing me a small fortune but i know one day i will be able to earn it all back(hopefully) lol, the only problem with wanting to better yourself is it costs so much money, just my opinion! ;)

I am doing both - currently working towards my NVQ and have recently undertaken a Creative Conversion in L&P, with my Creative Rebalancing at the end of the month. Although I hope to continue on to become a Creative Master Technician (which seems a tall order for me at the moment), I also feel that I need my NVQ so that I have as many doors open to me as possible. Of course, if you are already established within the nail industry, those doors are already open to you. To date, I feel both avenues of study beneficial to me and feel that the teaching has complemented each other. A lot of personal commitment as well as cost is going into this but I am confident it is time and money well spent.

Oh! Incidentally, even although I already have half a dozen certificates, including my Creative conversion, I have not as yet taken the big wide world by storm as I don't feel as yet qualified enough. I want to be professional, ie give an excellent service with confidence and skill. I don't want to bluff my way through clients' services. And I don't know what I would have done without my faithful nail trainer.

I was astounded today, a lady booked to have her nails airbrushed, when she arrived she delighted in telling me that she did her own acrylic nails (way to long, potholes and ridges all over the place, you all know what I mean) then had the nerve to tell me she had bought creative scrubfresh, primer, and powder from ebay, and just wondered if I would sell her some retention!!!!!
Do people honestly believe we fell off the top of an xmas tree????
Needless to say I told her where to get off to and never to darken my doorstep again, these people are paradeing as Creative Trained technicians. Who are the people selling products on Ebay??? I wish we could find out and get them all banned from buying them in the first place.
Any ideas, Geek, Mrs Geek or Geeg?

It is something we have been looking into, but so far there has been little that can be done as legally, it is their product to sell.
People sell professional beauty products, haircolour, and the like. It is also very difficult to identify the people in question which makes the job that much harder.
The good thing is that it is still a rarity and most state that they will only sell it to professionals (who knows if thats the truth).

Anyway, it is something that is being looked into.

how about id cards that only creative technicians can be issued with? could it not be made complusory for anyone wishing to buy creative liquids and powders at shows to bring it along ? maybe like a swipe type card and when swiped you have to confirm you details? (that would hopefully guard against mis-use of lost cards?) i think maybe this would help alot as it wouldnt surprise me in the least if some of the ebay products where bought at shows for this purpose! we just have to hope that all Creative Nail Design Technicians are not unscrupulouse enough to buy and sell our fantastic L & P system!
i for one am passionate about being a Creative Technician and we could all do without people who spoil it for those of us who invest in our education just an thought (although rather an expensive one i fear :lol: !!! ;) ) :green: xxx

People can also go in to the likes of Sally's and Capital and purchase l/p, gel, wrap products when not qualified - they may be hairdressers or beauty therapists or just someone who has borrowed a card...it happens and it's not good, whether the product is Creative or something else, it still puts our proffessionalism into disrepute.

These wholesalers say that they will not sell certain products to 'the unqualified' but I can freely buy peroxide, tint, perms etc and the nearest thing I am to being a hairdresser is that fact that I work in a hairdressing salon and it's obvious that some of these ebay sellers do just that, buy from the wholesalers and sell on ebay.

Some people just want to make a quick buck.

These are all things we have looked at so far, but the logistics have proved a little difficult so far.
If we rely simply on basic cards, they simply get borrowed. If they are customers of a sub, DN doesnt always have their details. Its a very cost prohibitive from what we have looked at so far.

Dont fret though... DN is looking into other areas as well

Just to tough back on topic...

I wanted to just make a light note about this comment:
I know a lot of NVQ techs who laugh at how short Creative courses are yet their nails are awful

Its a very keen observation. DN accepts NVQ lvl 3 as a standard and as such has minimal to no restrictions on holders of this NVQ level. However sadly we are finding that the standard of NVQ lvl3 is getting lower and lower to the point where we may end up putting restrictions on this qualification (guess we dont have to now its changed). However this brings up a good discussion.

If the NVQ lvl 3 was the 'preliminary' for a national standard, I have to voice concern over the quality of the standards.
Yes, the NVQ for nails has changed and come into its own (thank god!) I just hope that the quality the standard produces is higher and more consistent than its previous incarnation. If not, then I think we can shelf any expectations of it becoming a national requirement (fingers crossed that isnt the case).

Thoughts?

I have done a vtct, an EZ Flow course and a Creative conversion course and in my opinion, at the end of the day, the standard of work is totally dependant on the level of commitment the individual has to creating the best nails possible without detriment to the natural nail.

I know from my vtct college course where there were 20 students in the class..although we were taught the correct procedures some of the students didn't give a s**t and just wanted to get a qualification so that they could make a fast buck and 'do' nails. That wasn'y my personal objective and still isn't.

The tutor on my course was Creative trained and exceptional in her knowledge and teaching skills but she couldn't have her eyes on everyon all the time.

I think my point here is that it is more to do with the integrity of the individual than the 'courses' that they do. Technicians who want to be the best will choose the best, whether it is EZ Flow, Creative, or other companies who provide continued professional education. Those who want to make a fast buck will continue to do so, whether NVQ, VTCT, Creative trained or whatever.

Before I set up my business I went and had my nails done by the local competition, ok they were quick but they were crap and she didn't give a shit and she was trained by one of the companies whose virtues we commend on this site. Since I have been in business and building up myclient base I have had so many nwe clients comment that the standard and wearability of my nails is so much better than this other well known branded salon.

Going on courses isn't everything.

nails@42ndstreet said:
I think my point here is that it is more to do with the integrity of the individual than the 'courses' that they do. Technicians who want to be the best will choose the best, whether it is EZ Flow, Creative, or other companies who provide continued professional education. Those who want to make a fast buck will continue to do so, whether NVQ, VTCT, Creative trained or whatever.

I think you are 100% right on this one. Good post.

I think when people have the mind set that you describe, they naturally find the 'best' ... they gravitate to it like a magnet. To be honest, I don't spend a single second worrying about the rest ... they are just not my type and I know they will not come into my sphere.
Clients will also gravitate to the best if they have the same mind. And those that don't give a **** will go to those who are of a like disposition.

My next point (during the BB ads) is that the technicians that don't give a s**t will not bother wasting their time reading the good adviced provided on this site...they're far too busy doing the industry an injustice, so rest assured, we won't reach them through this forum.

and last but not least, hopefuly through our posts and the knowledge, advice and professionalism of the contributors to this site, we may give encouragement, insight and influence to not only budding technicians but also to our peers who want to hone their skills but didn't have the support until they found this site.

dee said:
hi i think it is the same with any trade, if you want to be really good at what you do you have to keep going on courses, i recently went on an intensive training course in london to do beauty and even though i am insured to do the public i personally dont feel like i am qualified enough!! so i am going on to do my nvq 2/3 in sept, now it seems like i wasted a ton of money to some people that tell me(i wouldnt bother doing anymore training,) but i want to feel like i know the ins and outs of all aspects , so it is costing me a small fortune but i know one day i will be able to earn it all back(hopefully) lol, the only problem with wanting to better yourself is it costs so much money, just my opinion! ;)

Oh yes you will be able to recoupe all your invested money...........
invested is the keyword here..................
I have spend a fair amount on education and it is paying of big time, and I knew it would..........
I have invested money and time on Competition training................
My nails improved far beyond my expectations.........
The first people to notice where my clients.........
They where happier then ever and recomended me to all and sundries.......
I have invested money on my Masters..................
Now I am a Master my clients love me even more ........bless em...........
They are proud to call me their Technician........
They are thrilled that I spend time and money to give them the best there is .......
They know I care enough to want to be the best there is...........and then give them the best of my skills!!!!!!
My books are full and I have recouped my Course money in no time.........
I am by no means flush with money, I saved long and hard to get where I am....

I also have had loads of comments like, you are so good why bother with more courses?????
So I just reply with , not as good as I possibly could be with more education, our industry is not a stand still one, it's a fast moving and changing one.........and the only way for me to stay on top is to learn and educate myself...............
You know I have even got an education piggy bank.....all my tips go in there.....thats money ones and not the cut off's lol...........You be amazed how much is in there at the end of a month lo..............
Where there is a will there is a pay or is it way LOL
JMHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back