Credit card help needed

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxybasixs

Reaction score
:confused: Hope someone can help me I'm trying to get some info on accepting credit cards within my salon. I need something easy to use and set up and not too expensive. It all seems very confusing.......Any help would be grateful. Thanks. X

Talk to your bank first, see what price they can offer you, then shop around and see if you can get a better price.
This has been mentioned on here before, try a search on Credit Card Machines and see what results you get :wink2:
I'm sure other members will see your thread and recommend whichever card machine they use.

Hiya. Thanks for your reply. I had already done a search and I needed a bit more information. My bank is asking for too much and they already have enough money from me and I dont want it to cut into profits too much. I want to accept credit cards because a lot of the big companys are no longer accepting cheques and sooner or later cheques will become obsolete.

Hiya. Thanks for your reply. I had already done a search and I needed a bit more information. My bank is asking for too much and they already have enough money from me and I dont want it to cut into profits too much.
I have a credit card Machine (Barclays)
The Rental is £15.00 per month plus 1.95% per transaction I find it expensive so i have had to put my prices up to cover the cost .
It is very usefull to me when client want to buy courses of treatments such as my Genie Face lift or Body Lifting ect .I am tied in to this for 3 years even if I were to close down I would have to pay for the 3 years .

Rubs x

I looked into it, but found the initial costs too high for me at the moment! I am just starting out, so maybe in a while I will be able to afford it.

The FSB(Federation for small businesses) costs around £100 a year to join. They offer amazing business support to members for this cost such as discounts on hiring credit card terminals.

Also you may consider the cheapest option which is an online facility. No terminal , you just need a P.C and you enter theclients credit card details into the providers ie HSBC, Cardnet, Streamline etc's special site and process from there.

The downside : some people still don't 'trust' online transactions and prefer the old terminal and chip and pin scenario.

Hope this helps here is he FSB link (well worth joining any way even if you don't want a credit card terminal !
www.[B]fsb[/B].org.uk/

Mariex

I have mine through my business bank at HSBC. I paid an upfront fee of £250 to set it up and then each transation has an approx charge of 2%.

Don't you guys take the CC charges as a expensive?

Here is the logics ..if you are charged say 1.50% per ticket say of 25.00. That is .37 cents out of your pocket.
If you raise your prices 1.00 to help cover that charge. You are now charging 26.00 and being charged 1.50%..which is .39 cents charged to you. You are making .61 cents more per service but you have to claim that much more on your taxes and that would put you in a higher tax rate for your business and will eventually have to start paying your government more money. But only can take a .2cent per service more expense on your taxes.
Claim .61 more cents per service which adds up and only getting 2 more cents per service as a deduction..

Is it really worth it? Why not just take the .37 per service deduction?

Hi,
I set up my business banking with Abbey. It's completely free forever providing I stay within the transaction limits which isn't that hard to do and there are always ways round it. Even if you do go over the limits you are only charged on the amount you go over.

Anyway, the reason for saying this is that Abbey have a partnership agreement with Streamline. The set up charges are waivered if you are an Abbey customer. Rental is £15 / month. Charges are 2.5% on credit cards and 35p on debit cards. The terminal is small and tidy and I have found it really easy to use.

Many clients now pay by card and I am convinced that my retail sales have increased because of the machine. On several occasions I know that client's have bought products just because they can pay by card.

I would definately recommend getting one.

Hope this helps
Karen
:):)

I have just joined the FSB and am getting my streamline machine through them.
The offer is excellent......no set up fee,first three months rental free,if for whatever reason you don't take any credit cards in a particular month then you don't get charged the monthly rental fee.The percentages per transaction are 1.95% on credit cards and 30p for debit cards,these can be renegotiated after 6 months.
My membership to the FSB has already paid for itself and there are lots of other benefits including free banking,a legal benefits package which includes cover for the event of an employment dispute or a full tax enquiry on your business.
They have their own FSB telecom,which can save you large amounts on line rental and calls.
The list goes on.Well worth the membership fee if only for the streamline machine !!
Fliss

We got a fantastic deal best thing we'd suggest is to join national hairdressing federation and then through them you get discounts through various banks and just play them off against each other. Were now with HSBC we pay £15pm rent and the top charge is 1.650% for visa/MasterCard, and lowest is 0.1770% for solo/maestro and visa debit, plus there was no installation fee and a free terminal.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Adele.

I Have Also Joined Fsb. & Found They Offer Frre Banking For Life!! & Also Good Deals On Credit Card Machines.

Latest posts

Back