Credit Card processing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nail_star2003

Reaction score
Hi All,

This is now starting to do my head in!! I'm looking at getting a mobile credit card terminal but I have no idea where to get it from! Everyone that I have looked at varies so much - some with set-up fees, some without.

Now, I'm a one-man band but I want to introduce this facility as a way of potentially increasing sales. The problem is that I need to keep my costs down (don't we all!!). I've looked into Silverpay which look really good but at £35 a month rental and 5% transaction fees I think this is going to be more than I can afford as I can't see making more than that to give me a profit.

Then I've looked at CardSave through the Abbey which looks ok - no setup fees, reasonable rental per month at £15 + vat but it means the hassle of changing my business account from HSBC which I can do without just before christmas.

I've looked at a few others that have been suggested on the other threads like this and I'm still stuck!! I ideally want this asap so could ayone give me ANY help!! :confused::eek::confused:

All banks to them, my machine is the carnet one with lloyds tsb and my bank is with bank of scotland. I think if you tell Abbey you won't change to them they will still let you do the credit cards through them.

Ours is quite good rates but we use it loads and put thousands of pounds though so think it differs with the amount of transactions.

Also, if you join the federation of small businesses you get a discount on some machines i think so might be worth looking on their website.

Hope this helps
Lilac

Hi Lilac,

I contacted the FSB yesterday so I'm just waiting for their response. So, other banks will provide you with a card facility even if you don't bank with them?? Well, that puts a whole new angle on it!! :confused::eek::confused:

Thanks!

What is unique about the fully managed service is everything is under one umbrella with on line statements,the ability to view transactions, uk based help desk with technical support with the terminal provided all from one company (£27.66+VAT) and no need for you to have any dealings with the banks because they are the merchant too. It's simple to use and ideal for anyone new to the world of card acceptance. The offer of a 3 month minimum contract covers the party season and there is also a web based solution (£15+VAT or offer of upfront annual payment of £120+VAT)ideal for salons and home based business. All card transactions are authorised online and processed securly in accordance with card industry practices.This is offered free when a mobile terminal is taken giving the freedom to use the online card acceptance while the mobile terminal is out and about. There is no minimum spend and no "get out fees" and they can set you up in only a few days.
I hope this answers a few questions.
Helen x
www.silverpay.co.uk

Hiya

I use Silverpay, they are ok for me as i'm mobile. There is another one called 123, THE BROW QUEEN uses it, i'm sure she would be happy to give you more info. you ccan request mail order facility with silverpay.

Silverpay is ok, the invoices need to be a liitle more simple.

Jennyx

123 SEND is a totally mobile card machine. You don't need to plug it into a phone line. If you belong to the FSB, it's £25 set up and I think £26 a month (min 18mths).

You could also have a PAYPAL Pro account and that's £20 per month. It's odd because you can have PayPal Standard account on your site and clients can pay via that and you will only pay for the cost of each transaction. You don't pay any monthly charge for this. HOWEVER, the client has to put their details in themselves. For example, they can't give you their card detals over the phone and you enter them as this is classed as fraud. For you to be able to do this, you have to have the Pro account and pay £20 a month. HTH's xxx

Hi Jenny. The online facility is SilverService the Customer Not Present web based terminal and your correct in saying you can request it especially if you have one of their mobile terminals because it is supplied free if you want it now. If you just want SilverService on it's own that can be arranged very cost effectively (£15+VAT or offer of upfront annual payment of £120+VAT) which is ideal for salons and home based business with internet access.
Helen x

All banks to them, my machine is the carnet one with lloyds tsb and my bank is with bank of scotland. I think if you tell Abbey you won't change to them they will still let you do the credit cards through them.

Ours is quite good rates but we use it loads and put thousands of pounds though so think it differs with the amount of transactions.

Also, if you join the federation of small businesses you get a discount on some machines i think so might be worth looking on their website.

Hope this helps
Lilac

Hi I am new to Geeks. Just wanted to know is it worth joining FSB and how much does it cost?

Hiya

I use Silverpay, they are ok for me as i'm mobile. There is another one called 123, THE BROW QUEEN uses it, i'm sure she would be happy to give you more info. you ccan request mail order facility with silverpay.

Silverpay is ok, the invoices need to be a liitle more simple.

Jennyx
Happy New Year.
Hi Jenny. SilverPay have a facility which is a web based "card acceptance terminal" if you like. It is accessed through broad band on your PC and enables you to take payments online. It's ideal for smaller business and home based salons and is available at a fraction of the cost of a mobile terminal. Having said that when you hire a mobile terminal you are given this service at no extra cost enabling payment to be taken in two seperate ways at the same time. I hope this is of use to you.
Helen

Hiya

I use a terminal from streamline and because i am a business customer with abbey national i get quite a good rate. This terminal is mobile so i can take it everywhere with me! It connects to the orange network in order to authorise payments but you dont pay nay mobile charges. I pay £30 a month and for transaction fees i pay 35p for debit cards and 2% for credit cards.

I also get an internet merchant account with them for free and only pay for the transaction costs. So i can accept online payments on my online shop.

HTH
x

I'm currently with Abbey but am looking at switching to Alliance & Leicester....I think their merchant charges are a bit less than Streamline....I'll confirm when I have the info.

If you are a member of The Guild, they have a great offer with Barclays.....£12 per month rental, 22p on debit cards and 1.6% (I think) on credit cards.

Latest posts

Back