Credit crunch has driven my customers away

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kymara

Reaction score
Hi. Everyone,

Just wondering if any one out there is experiencing a downturn in there business. I'm a struggling home therapist,:cry: things were just starting to pick up for me and then comes along the 'credit Crunch and it certainly crunch me. I have had no customer for 2weeks Now!. Hence, I've had to crawl back to the agencies (cap in hand, -Swore once I was qualified as beauty therapist I would never return back to Social work!! ) to beg for work.
And this is where I am now. Yes- 3am in the morning they call it waking nights it;s paying the bills. sorry for rambling on is anyone else feeling the sting or is it just me:rolleyes:

i may sound totally stupid here, but what do you mean by credi t crunch - i aint felt any diff -but im flumixed by this

Oh, I just have to reply to this one.

I'm a therapist working from home as well, and up until last month, things were ticking along quite nicely.

BUT, I was in for a rude shock when 3 weeks ago it all turned belly-up! I couldn't work it out. Things just went very quiet all of a sudden. And, then the 3rd week, I had only 1 customer by Wednesday!!

Somehow I wondered had a wished this apon myself? (I had been wishing for a break, some time off, breathing room)...and I got it! (Be careful what you wish for).

So, over the last 2 weeks, I've come up with some great deals for my customers ('packages' where they might buy something and get something for FREE), and posted this out to all my clients. I've also been doing weekly emails with hints and tips. PLUS, I've devised a special that I'm aiming towards new clients and done a letterbox drop for that. Believe me, this wasn't easy to do when I was pinching the grocery money to pay for stamps!

And, I was embarrassed, but I had to explain my situation to my suppliers and say that I would be late with my monthly payments etc etc..

BUT, thankfully, it hasn't been shortlived.

I too, was considering getting back into "steady work". In fact, I dreamed about working in my previous "dead-end, get treated like crap job", but all I could think of was the guaranteed pay packet at the end of the week.

BUT, then I thought about all the reasons why I wanted to work for myself. (I am a single Mum, so I am the sole provider). I have been able to go to my daughters cross country finals, see her dance on Saturdays, go on school trips etc etc, without having to ask anyones permission for time off.

LIST all the ways you can drum up business from your existing client base and think of ways to get in new customers.

A lot of my clients are finding the price rises hard, so they have been stretching their appointments out from 4 to 6 weeks..sometimes 8 weeks. So, I decided, well "I just need to find more clients".

Keep your chin up, and the smile on your face.

Make a plan full of all the ideas you can come up with to increase business. Then, steadily do something every day and start ticking them off. Think positive, look and talk postive. When your clients ask if you've suffered a down turn in business with the change of economy, say "no way...I've been busier than ever! Perhaps I should pencil in your next appointment in 4 weeks so you don't miss out!" Don't get into negative conversations!

GOOD LUCK!

What you often find is people initially get a bit frightened by whats happening in the news etc and tighten up a bit for a while then when they realise they can still manage and stretch to their treatments they come back.
It may be a good time for you to do a special offer definately become pro active though dont just be defeated.YOU need to find more customers if they are not going to find you.

Hi. Everyone,

Just wondering if any one out there is experiencing a downturn in there business. I'm a struggling home therapist,:cry: things were just starting to pick up for me and then comes along the 'credit Crunch and it certainly crunch me. I have had no customer for 2weeks Now!. Hence, I've had to crawl back to the agencies (cap in hand, -Swore once I was qualified as beauty therapist I would never return back to Social work!! ) to beg for work.
And this is where I am now. Yes- 3am in the morning they call it waking nights it;s paying the bills. sorry for rambling on is anyone else feeling the sting or is it just me:rolleyes:

Don't give up hope unless you've tried everything in your power to increase your business!

Reason I say this is because I did this last year, went back to my 'dead end' job part time so I could carry on with my own business as well and still be able to pay the bills...BUT...still wasn't earning enough so went crawling back to my employer for a full time position :smack:. I REALLY wish I hadn't done it and now am trying to build things up again while working full time and it's blimin hard work!

I am always unhappy because of my job but my partner is a big worrier when it comes to money so I've stayed in my full time job and it's very long hours. I come home moody every night and exhausted! :cry:

I was so happy when I was working for myself and could fit everything in (like seeing my family who live in the East of England) but needed more money for mortgage, bills etc. It is hard work but do everything in your power to make your business succeed! Like everyone says (and it's very true!) you have to put in so much to make it work but the benefits make it all worthwhile in the end!

Good Luck! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! :green: :hug:

Hi Kymara

We are from the same "neck of the woods".

I know your location well, my Mum still lives there.

I understand that you are home based. During the current climate have you considered becoming mobile for one or two days a week, perhaps going slightly further afield, maybe to the location I live in. Look for areas that you think residents may still have more free cash, but they also, at the sametime, are slightly feeling the pinch, such as cutting back on their usual salon treatments. It's just a thought but worth a try.

I have PM'd you if you would like some more support. I know the roads in my area to target and also the client's that you aim to reach.

Good luck and keep your chin up! X

Latest posts

Back