creepy crawlies...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlegrohl

Reaction score
Lice/louse/nits yep! its that time of year again in Australia.. and although its only just started i have a feeling this season is going to be extremely bad!!

Here's the thing.. I am an avid supporter of defense is the best form of attack.. every morning before school i rub a concoction of hair serum/gel/conditioning treatment through my girls hair.. then tightly plait or pony their hair.. finishing off with hair spray around the hair line... Its a ritual that goes hand in hand with brushing their teeth...
Now last night i saw the "itchy head syndrome" that accompanies nits from my youngest.. my head immediately started to itch.. (and yes i bet a few of you are scratching your heads now hmm?)
On inspection i found one live nit.. i don't pretend to think he is alone.. but no eggs as yet.. I checked my eldest, nothing there.. i can safely say she has had nits one or two times in her 10 years as opposed to hailey who gets them all the time..
HOW THE HELL DID THEY GET THROUGH MY DEFENSES?????
I keep hearing about the super nit.. perhaps Haileys nits are super.. because i swear apart from kryptonite i used everything...

I have a robi comb.. but rarely use it.. i hate chemicals.. but am not sure of another way that works..

I whipped her in the bath.. loaded her hair with conditioner then spent nearly 2 hours combing out the conditioner with a nit comb.. I have changed all the linen.. towels.. cushion covers.. thrown all dirty clothes in the wash and today i am going to treat us all with whatever the chemist gives me.. (i had nothing but tea tree oil last night)

I would have put this in the hair thread.. but the way i see it anyone who has or is around children can be a pro on nits.. ((she says while scratching madly at her head.. after repeatedly being told there is nothing there..))

:irked:Nits will get through all defenses believe me, they are resiliant little critters, and love nothing better than a challenge! lol!!

My 2 are both in Primary education, so nits are kind of an extension of our family! :irked:

My little girl has only had them once, little boy has never had them fingers crossed, touch wood, hail mary etc etc etc. The best thing I got for my little girl was a shampoo formula, wash and rinse, smelt lovely and no waiting around for 45 minutes for it to work!

You are also right my head is ithcing now aswell! I hate crawlie things! :irked:

haha.. Nits are like extended family.. the relatives you never want to visit and peeve you off the whole time they stay!!
I used to be so ashamed of nits.. when my eldest first got them i was devastated.. even with the "they only like clean hair" defense (which is bullcr!p they don't discriminate at all!)
my mum said Kero once and after about 2 weeks of battling i did it.. (never again).. some poor girls who live with their dad who are in my hailey's class turned up to school with shaved heads.. everyone was like "ahhh poor girls.." i was more like.. "bugger that.. i have been tempted!" both my girls have really long very fine hair.. NIGHTMARE STUFF!:irked:

I've heard that after you wash you childrens hair, condition, then add some vinegar to the final rinsing water. Apparently they hate it and its an extremely effective way of repelling nits. I cant tell you how effective it is because by the time I learned this my daughter had grown out of the nits stage.

I had nits earlier in the year and I haven't even got kids! :green: I think I must have caught them from a friend's little girl.

My hair's long, curly and thick. It took HOURS to comb the little gits (I mean nits) out.

Hope you've managed to curb the invasion.

I have been using Melaleuca Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and conditioner on my girls. (but you can always add the tea tree oil to any shampoo or conditioner)
Also, in the mornings, before I braid their hair, I have a water bottle that I spray their hair with. In it, is several drops of each: Melaleuca Tea Tree oil & Lavendar Essential Oil. Apprarently, two things nits hate.

To date, there have been 2 outbreaks at the elementary school IN my daughter's very class. One in my youngest's preschool (only one class, so 'in' her class too).

NEITHER of my children have had it.. (yet:Scared:)

I wash their hair VIGOROUSLY every 2-3 days.

1oz of prevention being worth 1lb of cure, and all that......

I dont know that this helps... but thought I'd share the information for future reference.

:hug:

PS: and my girls have hair as long and as thick as my own, so their hair reaches their waistlines. If they get nits, I'll just DIE! The hours? OMG it would take a century to comb their hair. but I'd do it. Just don't know who I could get to do my own, I know hubby wouldn't :-( SO THEY BETTER NOT COME HOME WITH IT lol

i use tea tree oil when my children have had nits...never heard of vinager,might give that a go....my neigbour told me her son had it so watch my sons hair as they play together....i said what have you done bout them,she said nothing as her son skin will irratate with something harsh....i told her thats not fare on me as if,my son gets it i will have to do ALL our family....she did do him....why do some people feel asthough they dont HAVE to treat there childrens hair but we can spend alot of money on these NIT killers....and they dont!!xxx

oh god dont start me about nits again lol, my daughter has waist length curly hair, so yes victoria if they ever do get them you will need some one to do the combing with you, 4 hours and a cold daughter (sitting in bath) later we were free of them, til she went to school (with hair in tight braid!!!!) and came home wiht live ones the very next day arrghhh, tried everything chemicals, bug buster comb, best comb i found was the metal one with twisted ends on it, just use it with conditioner, but its a completle nightmare to do their hair, no matter whether its fine ,short, long or curly, and the pain in the arse is, you get rid of them they go into school and get them straight back again grrrrrr

ive started using a tea tree spray now, every morning when ive braided and bunned (yes she has tight bun with bun net and all) her hair i spray with the tea tree spray , as supposdly they hate the smell, and touch wood since then, we've no had any, even though there has been outbreaks in her class, so i think it does work, and every 4th wash or so i use tea tree shampoo and conditioner, just use normal kids shampoo in between,

when she had the very bad infestation just after xmas last year,(teachers knew who had them, but couldnt say anything) im talking her head was bitten and bleeding, and every day she had huge new adults in her hair, (i eventually found out who had them and told her loudly in the playground 'not to sit by 'x' anymore or she'd get the nits again' strangely enough the nits dissappeared for a while!!! but i searched nit websites and everything!!!!:eek: and one of them advised straightening the hair, (now normally i wouldnt do this to a 5 yr old) but i was desperate , so i did and wow it made the job so much easier, i straightened her hair then combed the dead fried lice out, haha i felt great killing them like that.

i was so freaked out by how much it affected us, changing bedding and towels and always constanlty checking us all for weeks on end

anyway chels, hope you find something to keep them at bay, i do sympathise i really do

Nicky xxxxx

oh god dont start me about nits again lol, my daughter has waist length curly hair, so yes victoria if they ever do get them you will need some one to do the combing with you, 4 hours and a cold daughter (sitting in bath) later we were free of them, til she went to school (with hair in tight braid!!!!) and came home wiht live ones the very next day arrghhh, tried everything chemicals, bug buster comb, best comb i found was the metal one with twisted ends on it, just use it with conditioner, but its a completle nightmare to do their hair, no matter whether its fine ,short, long or curly, and the pain in the arse is, you get rid of them they go into school and get them straight back again grrrrrr

ive started using a tea tree spray now, every morning when ive braided and bunned (yes she has tight bun with bun net and all) her hair i spray with the tea tree spray , as supposdly they hate the smell, and touch wood since then, we've no had any, even though there has been outbreaks in her class, so i think it does work, and every 4th wash or so i use tea tree shampoo and conditioner, just use normal kids shampoo in between,

when she had the very bad infestation just after xmas last year,(teachers knew who had them, but couldnt say anything) im talking her head was bitten and bleeding, and every day she had huge new adults in her hair, (i eventually found out who had them and told her loudly in the playground 'not to sit by 'x' anymore or she'd get the nits again' strangely enough the nits dissappeared for a while!!! but i searched nit websites and everything!!!!:eek: and one of them advised straightening the hair, (now normally i wouldnt do this to a 5 yr old) but i was desperate , so i did and wow it made the job so much easier, i straightened her hair then combed the dead fried lice out, haha i felt great killing them like that.

i was so freaked out by how much it affected us, changing bedding and towels and always constanlty checking us all for weeks on end

anyway chels, hope you find something to keep them at bay, i do sympathise i really do

Nicky xxxxx
what another good idea ....straightners.....brilliant :idea::lol:xxxxxxxxxxxx

My daughter had a really hard time with them a few years back. Eventually I made up some shampoo & conditioner with essential oils. We never had a problem with them after that.

Latest posts

Back