Critique Critique gel nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone would critique these gel nails. Over lockdown I learnt how to do gel nails and this is the first time that I have done them ( I done them on myself). I feel pretty happy with them. I love the colour! I chose a classic timeless deep red. Ithink I need to work more on them. I’m happy with my smile lines on the nails. I thought I would struggle with making the smile lines the same!
Please let me know what you think! It will be much appreciated❤️

Attachments

• 6E8B49A8-75BC-42C9-BE23-AE6E03BDB137.jpeg
    6E8B49A8-75BC-42C9-BE23-AE6E03BDB137.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 226
  • DE80CD43-FAE9-493E-A515-F1F755709D1F.jpeg
    DE80CD43-FAE9-493E-A515-F1F755709D1F.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 4D895D0C-4FF3-4470-AFB7-853635A632C4.jpeg
    4D895D0C-4FF3-4470-AFB7-853635A632C4.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 204
Even zooming in I can't see clearly enough, can you crop the original photos and repost them. We don't need to see the whole hand, just the nails.

Even zooming in I can't see clearly enough, can you crop the original photos and repost them. We don't need to see the whole hand, just the nails.
I’m so sorry I thought that I uploaded the cropped ones! Here they are:

Attachments

• 25EEF83B-AC77-4E45-B8D4-7E86CDC6B15B.jpeg
    25EEF83B-AC77-4E45-B8D4-7E86CDC6B15B.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 15C76C26-0866-427F-BE0F-F2070992D827.jpeg
    15C76C26-0866-427F-BE0F-F2070992D827.jpeg
    83.6 KB · Views: 112
  • 461C3F72-555F-48BF-A4D1-859B16D6AE97.jpeg
    461C3F72-555F-48BF-A4D1-859B16D6AE97.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 103
  • 8EB52F63-041C-4828-939D-8EB229BB8B15.jpeg
    8EB52F63-041C-4828-939D-8EB229BB8B15.jpeg
    69.7 KB · Views: 101
Perhaps its my tablet, I can't zoom in close enough to see anything clearly
These might be better I’ve zoomed in more and screen shot them.

Attachments

• 01D43132-504E-4439-90FE-2735CDCC5D0A.png
    01D43132-504E-4439-90FE-2735CDCC5D0A.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 208
  • 502FED91-F835-409C-B9A4-41A7960295FA.png
    502FED91-F835-409C-B9A4-41A7960295FA.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 225
  • 332CC50A-0F56-42D1-8FC1-084006CEE145.png
    332CC50A-0F56-42D1-8FC1-084006CEE145.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 185
Still not able to get a great view but from what I can see I'm guessing they are Gel Polish not Gel nails (gel nails in tne industry are eitjer extensions or natural nail overlays) - you'll need to know/make the difference to clients.

I'm confused by your smile line comment - you can't see the smile line???

I think more cuticle work is required (I can't see clearly) but they look overgrown and still attached to the nail bed, they need to be released and cleaned. The cuticle shape is square it should curve nicely to provide a uniform, pleasing to the eye look, even if the natural cuticle shape isn't curved.

I can't see the FE clearly but I think you haven't cappedbthe ends, or there is some product shrinkage, as I think I can see the white of the free edge, this will cause lifting and separation and it will peel off.

There's some dark discolouration where the natural smile line is, I think the product is too sheer and you can see through it, you might need 3 coats of that particular colour. Not thicker necessarily, it depends on your brand.

Keep products off the skin, amd tidy your cuticle with a small brush dipped in IPA, preferably keep it off the skin in the first place, that will come with practise.

Who did you train with? And what products are you using?

Still not able to get a great view but from what I can see I'm guessing they are Gel Polish not Gel nails (gel nails in tne industry are eitjer extensions or natural nail overlays) - you'll need to know/make the difference to clients.

I'm confused by your smile line comment - you can't see the smile line???

I think more cuticle work is required (I can't see clearly) but they look overgrown and still attached to the nail bed, they need to be released and cleaned. The cuticle shape is square it should curve nicely to provide a uniform, pleasing to the eye look, even if the natural cuticle shape isn't curved.

I can't see the FE clearly but I think you haven't cappedbthe ends, or there is some product shrinkage, as I think I can see the white of the free edge, this will cause lifting and separation and it will peel off.

There's some dark discolouration where the natural smile line is, I think the product is too sheer and you can see through it, you might need 3 coats of that particular colour. Not thicker necessarily, it depends on your brand.

Keep products off the skin, amd tidy your cuticle with a small brush dipped in IPA, preferably keep it off the skin in the first place, that will come with practise.

Who did you train with? And what products are you using?
I done an online course with the centre of excellence sit was £127.00 and they gave me a list of gels and I bought Red Carpet Ready.

I done an online course with the centre of excellence sit was £127.00 and they gave me a list of gels and I bought Red Carpet Ready.

Ah, OK, that explains a few things. Its a start, but I genuinely believe you can't learn a practical skill purely on-line. There are so many things that you have to actually have corrected whilst you do it, and no on-line class can do that effectively. I think skill building can be done remotely but basics need to be in person.

I totally agree with Trinity. You definitely cannot learn these skills online. Having done some online courses myself I speak from experience. Though going back to your nails. The cuticles definitely need some work. They are overgrown and from a glance it makes the manicure look at least a week old. The colours is lush and it looks as though you have applied it evenly on the nail plate so well done for that. You have paid a lot of money for an online course in just gel polish. Maybe email them and ask when things become safer if you can attend a work shop or something (If they do them) if not I would suck it up and pay again for a practical course xxx

I've just learned more from Trinity than I ever have about cuticle care than I have this entire year.

The pics are really blurry, so I can't see them well, but the advice above is good on what we can see.

I'd say it probably isn't the best idea to practice on yourself, as you need both hands to do your best job.....one hand to keep the finger you're working on where you want it, and one hand to do your procedure. I know at the mo, in many areas we're nit allowed in other houses, etc, but I assume as part of your fees, you were given a practice hand? They are not ideal, but better than trying to work on yourself, if still perfecting your technique. (I know some nail techs who never really get the hang of working on themselves.) Any family members who live with you are usually good to practice on, once you've got your health and safety 'nailed'😄.

Lastly.....online courses are my bugbear! I'm sure some are better than others, but at the end of the day, without me going on a full rant, you need a practical course to teach you this. The sheer fact you do not know what the smile line is, proves this....and please don't take offence....why would you know the correct terminology, unless you have been taught it?.....and if you had been taught and didn't know, then they shouldn't have passed/qualified you? I believe many of these companies are talking hard earned cash and not providing a full qualified and fully prepared tech at the end.

Please get back to them and ask when you are able to complete some practical lessons with them, as you do not feel confident enough to perform a paid service.

In the meantime, keep practicing on your practise hand and keep posting. Goid luck. X

I think these are lovely. The photos aren't the best so can't get a closer look. But from what I can see, there definitely aren't any problems. Would you like to go through your application process?

As above users have already said you can’t really see properly, you need to follow the nail shape and leave a tiny margin around the sidewalls and eponychium. Maybe talk us through your application starting at prep might help us give you some more positive feedback and clearer pictures showing the free edge also.

Ah, OK, that explains a few things. Its a start, but I genuinely believe you can't learn a practical skill purely on-line. There are so many things that you have to actually have corrected whilst you do it, and no on-line class can do that effectively. I think skill building can be done remotely but basics need to be in person.

Fully agree and sorry it's impossible to get a proper start in these lockdown times. Practice and a good teacher mean a lot, and not to discourage you but taking online courses is just not enough. And to be honest, even having a teacher for a couple of sessions next to you won't get you 100% there. A lot of practice will have to follow. From neurological science perspective, when you practice this is when your brain truly acquires those skills and truly learns. Seeing someone doing it is a bit like learning how to drive by watching drivers :)

it is a bit like learning how to drive by watching drivers :)

I always say I've watched 15 seasons of Greys Anatomy, it doesn't make me a surgeon 🤣

Your gel polish course should have taught you the proper nail preparation, along with a basic manicure and how to detect problems such as fungal nail issues, infections and proper removal techniques.
In order to get your gel polish to stick and not lift, you need to make sure your nail is prepped - free from excess cuticle and any other product - just like when you do a manicure.
I remember when I started out, I did a pedicure on my brother using a beautiful deep sparkly blue nail polish. His friend, a makeup artist and beautician, said it was lovely except that the line at the cuticle must be clean/straight and have no feathering so when it grows out, it looks neat. Just one piece of good advice I have received....

Latest posts

Back