Crooked nails: you or them?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Notorious1

Reaction score
What brought me to ask this was, after doing an acrylic set on my oldest sister and getting yelled at that I was putting her tips on crooked after each and every single nail to the point where I cried out of frustration!!!!

If the nail looks perfectly straight from your side is that OK? Nail techs do not sit beside you and make sure the nail looks good from your angle. I tried telling her repeatedly that it was just her view and that it looked straight from my side.

So which view is the correct one? Or is there no correct view it just goes based off of the nail shape ? Which I try doing based off of sometimes but it just comes out crooked..

Please help

I always have this problem with my middle finger. But it's not the nail that's crooked it's my finger, because I used to play piano as a child. You can notice on the photos how the nail plate is straight but the entire finger leans to the left. Is it any similar?
If yes tell her not to worry because people will never notice it. They see your side not hers.

I know, I need an infilling but I was away for 3 weeks!
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1483873051.450004.jpg

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1483873066.324150.jpg

Last edited:
Fair warning- I hate tips and don't do them unless forced

But when I sculpt I try and make the nail straight to the finger if the nail is skewed to avoid this

I was also taught to get the client to curl their finger around and flip their hand over so you can get a view of what it looks like to them

Bear in mind although your view is what everyone else will see her view is what she will see every day for 2+weeks

She might just be being extra fussy because she's your sister though

I have one fingernail like this exactly. I sculpt it and it is fine. Tips are always crooked on it.

This will always be a problem. I would say at least 75% of my clients have a finger that is not straight. It will upset some clients that the tip is not perfectly straight. The problems is that when you are holding their hand at a slight downward angle to apply a tip, most of the fingers look & are straight. The fingers tend to curve when the client holds their hand straight with fingers fully extended. Have your client turn their hand facing you then apply the tip to that problem finger. You will also have to shape it facing you. That will make your client a happy camper because the nail will be pretty much straight on that crooked finger when they look at their hand....lol.

Latest posts

Back