Cruise ship

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emmalaidlaw

Reaction score
Hi just wondering if there anyone on here that has tried or are in the cruise ship ?x

I worked as a massage therapist on ships for one contract. Is there any particular info you are after?

Long hours, very hard work, sometimes amazing money, sometimes not! Small pokey accommodation, sometimes not very nice managers, not always much time off, long time away from home!

BUT!
You see amazing parts of the world, you meet the most amazing people, make friends with and learn about other cultures and nationalities! You live on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean! Work hard, play hard! Awesome Crew parties, fun trips on days off! The time of your life!

The things that always stick out for me are the fun parts. Every job has its negatives. If you are thinking about I always say at least try it out.
It's not for everyone and if you don't take to it you may have to pay your own way home but if you stick it out you will have the best memories to keep forever!

I have applied for it and have my interview/ seminar on the 17th of September and just wondering if it's all what's It seems up to as I am only 18/19 this year but I fully qualified hnd beauty therapist and as I don't have any tie down my mum think it would be a great experience

What do you mean is it all that it seems?
You get to travel while you work and get an experience of a lifetime.
Steiner are very strict an will be hard on you at times but if you are willing to put the work in you will reap the benefits.
My only regret is that I didn't do it again. But like I said in my last reply it's not for everyone and I don't think you can really make your mind up until you are there doing it. The fact that you have thought about means you think it's for you so I'd say go for it and see what you think. 9months out of your life isn't too bad anyway if it's not for you!
Big decision though so good luck!

I been thinking about it for the last year when finishing the hnc only problem is I don't have any experience working in a salon and what I mean by all it seem is people say you don't get your moneys worth while working as you work less than minimum wage but you do get to see the world while working :/!

experience isnt essential as Steiner will train you.
Money wise its different from ship to ship and cruiseline to cruiseline. You have no say what ship you go on to start with. I worked on a Royal Carribean ship, there was no salary, it was commsion based and tips. You have to work hard at getting treatments booked in and they expect you to retail products to guests. This is where your commision comes from, so the harder you work the more money you will earn. If you hit targets you could earn more! You get tips as well but depending on where you are in the world they could be fantastic or not great! I got awesome tips! I was working in the carribean with mostly american passengers and americans do tip where as a friend of mine was on a British ship with brithish passengers and as we are not a tipping nation she didnt make so much. She did however get a weekily retainer.
The money can be the best you could ever earn or not so good. But its not just the money, its the experience too. No matter how much money you earn on there you will always find a way to spend it anyway!

In college we had targets to sell products so at least I have had a shot at selling products to the clients so I suppose that's a benefit and yea that's what's putting me of because you don't have a standard wage!

Hi Emma, did you go on ships in the end? Xx

My friend went on a Steiner ship and had to for 9 months on the first trip, does anyone know any that go for shorter trips for your first time??

Im really interested in doing it too and think you would learn loads xx

My friend went on a Steiner ship and had to for 9 months on the first trip, does anyone know any that go for shorter trips for your first time??

Im really interested in doing it too and think you would learn loads xx

There isn't many ships that steiner don't have spas on! You'll find it hard finding one not through steiner xx

Hi guys basically my business isnt not doing good at all and we are thinking we will probably already have to close. I am considering trying out cruise ships but I am scared as I miss people after not seeing them a couple of days never mind 9 months or how ever long. I dont actually know if I could be away from my partner for that long we have been together 5 years and he would support me but he keeps me sane lol!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I haven't worked in a salon on a cruiseship but I have worked on them on costumes and although my experience would be different to yours I still say do it! Yes you get home sick and sea sick, and it's long hours and days but it is such a great experience. You get to meet so many people in crew and then can get off at the ports which are some amazing places which you never thought youd go to! I've made some lifelong friends on ships and love every day! Especially as your 18/19 you'll have a blast I reckon!

Latest posts

Back