Crystal Pedi, to seal or not with top coat?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lunarstorm

Reaction score
Hi fellow Geeks

I just can't do decide if I should put a top coat over a crystal pedicure or manicure? I've decided to apply them with Gelbond after doing this to myself with a few crystals on my fingers in the past and they where still stuck well and truely after 3 weeks, so I know this methered works with keeping the crystal in place.

I did apply Lumos top coat (didnt have Shellac then, but do now) but I found it took the sparkle out of the crystals and chipped off of the crystals after a few days anyway. I just do not know how Shellac top coat will effect the swarski crystals? I would be greatful for feedback from people on if you use a top coat, if the top coat helped prolong the wear and how it effects the overall sparkle of the crystals??

Thanks in advance

Sam xx

I use Cuccio SOG's to do my crystal pedicures and I do cover the swarovski crystals with the clear gel and they dont loose any shine or sparkle.

I dont use any other top coat as the layer of clear gel seals them in and fills any gaps and there is no need for any top coat.

Nicola160711.jpg

Thanks for your reply Baggybear. I have Shellac and would be using the Shellac top coat if I do decide to seal the crystals, would I be right in assuming using the Shellac top coat would give the same look as the SOG you are using?. Thanks for the photograph.

Sam xx

From reading people's posts in previous crystal pedicure threads Shellac top coat keeps the crystals looking shiney.

People did seem to find applying crystals with the shellac base, a colour layer and securing the crystals then top coating didn't keep the crystlas on for long enough so trying to secure them with Gelbond may give them a longer lifespan.

My crystal pedicures have so far lasted well for 4/5 weeks and were then either removed for a new set or removed for a new Minx design.

I have done two crystal pedis on myself and used the Swarovski rose cut crystals for both.

The first one I set in gel and covered in gel, lasted 6 weeks no loss of crystals. Walked to work with trainers and socks, gardening with flip flops on, enclosed shoes etc.

The second one I set in gel but did not cover with anything and also lasted 6 weeks... the shine and sparkle is so so brilliant. The first pedi cannot compete against the second for dazzle and sparkle.

I lost about 20 crystals on the second pedi and stuck them back on with Gelbond.

I loved the brilliance of this pedi so much that I couldn't bring myself to attempt socks and trainers and risk losing crystals through the hard wear.

Sometime this week WHEN I get a minute I will be removing the second pedi and doing it again for the third time.

I really really do not want to cover the crystals with gel or top coat and am pondering on just how long it would take to set them onto a layer of cured gel with Gelbond or the other CND adhesive (can't remember the name).

Decisions decisions.

Jacqui xx

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks for your reply, it's helped a lot to hear from someone who has worn both types of crystal pedi.

The way I'm thinking of doing it is, Shellac base, cure, Shellac top coat, cure, attach crystals with Gelbond, job done :D. I know from when I did crystals on my fingers, even after 3 weeks the crystals where wielded to my nails and where a NIGHTMARE to get off.

Sam xx

Hi Jacqui,

Thanks for your reply, it's helped a lot to hear from someone who has worn both types of crystal pedi.

The way I'm thinking of doing it is, Shellac base, cure, Shellac top coat, cure, attach crystals with Gelbond, job done :D. I know from when I did crystals on my fingers, even after 3 weeks the crystals where wielded to my nails and where a NIGHTMARE to get off.

Sam xx

Sounds like a plan and I may try it this way too.

Would you put a line of Gelbond and very quickly attach crytals ... or do you have some other easy peasy cunning plan???

I don't think I mind how long it takes to get off so long as THEY STAY ON lol.

Jacqui xx

Hi Jacqui.

When I put some on my fingers, I just dabed a ting bit into each crystal as I needed to put in on and held it in place for 5 seconds. Thats how I'm thinking of doing it anyway lol.

Sam xx

Crikey, it took me an hour and 20 minutes bent in half and upside down applying these crystals in neat symetrical rows onto gel ... adding 5 seconds and faffing about with adhesive to each crystal I'll be there for 2 hours lol!!!

However, if they all stay on and it will stand up to shoes, trainers, walking three miles etc with a brilliant sparkle I will happily do it.

Thank you

Jacqui xx

Crikey, it took me an hour and 20 minutes bent in half and upside down applying these crystals in neat symetrical rows onto gel ... adding 5 seconds and faffing about with adhesive to each crystal I'll be there for 2 hours lol!!!

However, if they all stay on and it will stand up to shoes, trainers, walking three miles etc with a brilliant sparkle I will happily do it.

Thank you

Jacqui xx

If they turn out anywhere near the ones I had on my fingers, you may end up regretting saying that lol. It took me 3 day to get 36 crystals off myself, hence why I'm going to put them on Shellac, so if all else falls, I can soak off the Shellac they are stuck to. Last time I had them on normal Lumos base and top coat and even soaking didnt get the dame things off lol.

I was thinking it's going to take about 2 hrs but I'd rather that the extra time and have them stay put.

I'll let you know how it goes when I do my ginunie pigs toes heheheh :twisted:

Hey girls, just wanting some advice if poss, know this conversation was a few days ago need advice on Crystal pedi's..

I tried out a mix of Rose Pink Swarovski Crystals and some Sallys white crystals on my toes using the Shellac curing method and it has turned out great in the sense that they have stuck and don't look as if they are going anywhere (rubbed the top sticky layer off with d sperse and none came off) however... They dont have the "sparkle" they had before i added the top coat of Shellac. They were really bling and looked amazing until the top coat stole all of their lovely glisten :cry:

Pretty gutted as they look good but not AS good.. Anyone have any other ideas as to what method i can use next time? A therapist i know, uses glue to stick them on top of Minx and they look amazing but i am worried it will damage the nail and be a real pain to get off...

I have a client booked in, in a few weeks and want to get it right before i start charging people!

Hey girls, just wanting some advice if poss, know this conversation was a few days ago need advice on Crystal pedi's..

I tried out a mix of Rose Pink Swarovski Crystals and some Sallys white crystals on my toes using the Shellac curing method and it has turned out great in the sense that they have stuck and don't look as if they are going anywhere (rubbed the top sticky layer off with d sperse and none came off) however... They dont have the "sparkle" they had before i added the top coat of Shellac. They were really bling and looked amazing until the top coat stole all of their lovely glisten :cry:

Pretty gutted as they look good but not AS good.. Anyone have any other ideas as to what method i can use next time? A therapist i know, uses glue to stick them on top of Minx and they look amazing but i am worried it will damage the nail and be a real pain to get off...

I have a client booked in, in a few weeks and want to get it right before i start charging people!

Hi

The way I did it in the end was to apply Shellac base coat and Shellac top coat to give the crystals a nice base to sit on. Once I had wiped the tacky layer off, I then applied a small amount of Gelbond and careful placed each crystal where I wanted it and held it in place for 5 seconds until set. Covered the whole nail doing a small area of Gelbond at a time.

The reason I put the Shellac under the crystals is so when it come to the time that I have to remove them, I can just sock them off with the Shellac. The first time I used Gelbond to stick crystals to my own nails, I didn't put anything under them and after three weeks they where still stuck soild and took days for me to get them off.

There is a picture of the Crystal Pedi I did although the camrea does not do it justice. When you see it in the fleash, it's super sparklie.

I plan to update this thread when they start to come off to see how long they stay put.

HTH

Sam xx

Last edited:
Just a little Up-Date to let everyone know how the crystal pedicure is doing. It's 3 weeks since it was applied and the client has only just lost one crystal, which was right at the free edge.

Considering the client was a member of sercurity at Jersey festival and wearng boots for a week solid, I'm pretty pleased with how well they have lasted so far. The rest of the stone seem very sercure, so will have to wait and see how long they last.

Caz a fellow geek uses resin, I have bought some to try but havnt got round to it yet, have just removed my shellac am going to give it a go this week!

Do u news need to cure the layer of Gelbond once the crystals have been placed on? X

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

I use resin & activator. Put a small amount of resin on at a time, place crystals & when the whole nail is covered, spray with the activator. No shine lost at all & my toes have been on for 5 weeks now :biggrin:

Right this is how I am going to do mines lunar storm :). Is the gelbond just an adhesive? I don't do enhancements so I am not sure :) x

I use resin & activator. Put a small amount of resin on at a time, place crystals & when the whole nail is covered, spray with the activator. No shine lost at all & my toes have been on for 5 weeks now :biggrin:

Brilliant, well done, Which resin and activator do you use?

Yes, Gelbond is just an adhesive. It's a pressure set adhesive, so you need to press the crystals down into it for 10 seconds. I'm sure there are faster ways to do a crystal pedicure but I've found this works for me, so as the saying goes, if it's not broke, don't try and fix it :lol:

Don't forget to put a layer of something that soaks off underneth it or your going to have a nightmare getting the crystals off when the time come.

Sam xx

Yes, Gelbond is just an adhesive. It's a pressure set adhesive, so you need to press the crystals down into it for 10 seconds. I'm sure there are faster ways to do a crystal pedicure but I've found this works for me, so as the saying goes, if it's not broke, don't try and fix it :lol:

Don't forget to put a layer of something that soaks off underneth it or your going to have a nightmare getting the crystals off when the time come.

Sam xx

Thankyou I shall put a player of shellac base and top coat underneath

Latest posts

Back