Crystal toes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baggybear

Reaction score
I use Cuccio pronto clear (a soak off gel) or Eco clear soak off gel. Both of these products are advertised as being able to be used as a base and a builder gel and a seperate base product is not required.

I buy my SS5, flat back, NON hotfix, swarovski crystals from Scatter crystals, there are many other sites you can buy them from too.
Factory Pack Swarovski Flat Back Crystals, Non-Hotfix, Style 2058, SS5 (1.8mm)

I wipe the feet clean with wet wipes & then sanitise (I am mobile).
Apply Cuticle Away and remove all cuticle. Clean cuticle away off with a lint free wipe & mild soapy water. Remove the shine from nail plate. Shape the free edge if needed. *If doing Crystal pedicure with Minx I apply Minx to the 4 small toes then move onto the crystal big toes last*. I apply Dehydrator. Then I put a very thin base layer of gel on the nail and cure. I apply a thicker layer of gel and place the crystals on the nail from eponicium to the free edge, I apply as many crystals as I can and I cram them onto the nails to minimise any gaps. Apply more gel and crystals as needed until the whole nail is covered with crystals. I do NOT line them up or try to keep them uniform.

The only time I worry about crystal placement over gaps is if I'm doing a french tip look and even then I try to pack on as many crystals as possible to the main area of the nail and then apply the acent colour along the tip and move the main colour crystals as little as possible to fill any gaps created along the join so that the main colour and accent colour meet nicely but I leave gaps as small as possible between all the crystals.

When I have put as many crystals as I can on the toe I clean the skin around the nail and cure. If any crystals are overhanging the free edge I file them back and then I apply Eco Universal Soak Off Top Coat and cure (the top coat is VERY thin and runny so I prefer to do 2 thin applications to ensure all the crystals are embedded but not flooded with top coat) on the second application of top coat I ensure the free edge is capped, cure and wipe with cleanse. Apply a little solar oil to the cuticle area and massage in ***retail solar oil at this point if possible***

Sets I do last for weeks and weeks and weeks. You must still advise clients to take care with their toes (not to wear tight fitting shoes & walk miles etc..). I use Eco Universal Soak Off Top Coat because it does NOT dull the crystals and it helps to keep the crystals in place while still being super shiney.

FAQ:

How many crystals will I need?
Approx 120 crystals for the 2 big toes, 4 small toes approx 200 crystals per foot.
So a full set of toes approx 300 + 200 + 200 = 700.
You should get 2 full sets from a factory pack BUT there are the obvious variables to take into account, nail length, width and crystal size and how close you pack the crystals onto the nails.

What size crystals do you use?
I prefer SS5 so only use that size. Any size crystals can be used though and sets using different sizes look nice too.

How much to charge?
I charge between £45 & £55 for the 2 big toes.

£45 other wraps & silver crystals
£50 Minx & silver crystals
£50 other wraps & coloured crystals
£55 Minx & coloured crystals

£60 full set of silver swarovski toes
£65 full set of coloured swarovksi toes

Do you use a coloured gel under the crystal?
Personally I don't, I just use the clear gel and allow the coloured crystals to provide any colour required. If you want to use a coloured gel then you can. If you want to use glitter (rockstar nails) then you can. I don't but you can if you want to.

How do you pick up the crystals?
I use a little bit of gel on the back of my hoof stick.
You can also use a orange stick with a blob of blu-tac on the end or orange stick dipped in water.

How do you store your crystals?
I have all my different swarovski crystals in small clear screw top pots.

Do I need a qualification to do these?
You do need a certificate for insurance, if you have either a gel or a fibreglass qualification then you SHOULD be ok to apply crystals using that product (gel with a gel qualification or resin with a fiberglass qualification) but the only way to know if this is requried by your insurance is to ring them and ask. There are crystal pedicure courses out there you can do if you want or need a certificate.

What colours do you use?
I use crystal (the silver ones), crystal AB, hyacinth (red), sapphire, emerald, sunflower, amethyst, rose & Jet (black).

How to remove them?
I use the foil wrap method with acetone on the cotton pad to remove them and they remove fine in the normal time (approx 10 minutes wrapped).

Hope I have covered everything, if what you want to know isn't here ask away below & I will add the answers.
XxX

Last edited:
Great info Baggybear xxx

Thank you BB. :)

Brilliant thanks BB xx

Hi BaggyBear
Thanks for the tutorial. Do you know if I could do a shellac rockstar with the crystals but then top coat with the one you use?
Thanks again x

Hi BaggyBear
Thanks for the tutorial. Do you know if I could do a shellac rockstar with the crystals but then top coat with the one you use?
Thanks again x
I believe Eco Universal Top Coat will be fine to use over any soak off product. I am sure it will provide the same protection that Shellac top coat would.

Will give them both a try then thanks x

700 crystal!! How big are you toe nails?? I find les than 200 will do all my toes with many to spare! If using 700 crystal I would be charging double what I do!

Also I got some AMAZING crystal from the Manchester academy I'm dying to do my toes this weekend they are a sherbet collection! Which is a mixture of pastel crystals!!! I'm getting all giddy talking about it! I will post a pic when done!

700 crystal!! How big are you toe nails?? I find les than 200 will do all my toes with many to spare! If using 700 crystal I would be charging double what I do!

Also I got some AMAZING crystal from the Manchester academy I'm dying to do my toes this weekend they are a sherbet collection! Which is a mixture of pastel crystals!!! I'm getting all giddy talking about it! I will post a pic when done!
I am talking about SS5 crystals and I easily use 150 on just my 2 big toes. I do have wide and long toenails but the 700 is a guide and could be less obviously if the client has small or short nails.

If you using bigger crystals (you would have SS7 or SS9 if your getting them from S2, and they would be SS9 if they are anything other than the colour 'Crystal' :wink2:) then you will need less crystals as they take up more room but they also leave bigger gaps.

I have SS5s that I've got from CA+Manchester and even then I don't need that many. I'm going to count my toes now!!! Lol I do have smaller toes

This may be a silly question,
However I haven't ever really used gel too much, I have a small pot of the cuccio soak off base coat gel, will this work alright?!

Also, how long do you cure each coat for??
Do you have to place so many crystals, then cure? Or place all then cure in that layer?

Sorry for the questions :/ just not 100% sure!

This may be a silly question,
However I haven't ever really used gel too much, I have a small pot of the cuccio soak off base coat gel, will this work alright?!

Also, how long do you cure each coat for??
Do you have to place so many crystals, then cure? Or place all then cure in that layer?

Sorry for the questions :/ just not 100% sure!
I would not attempt to use base coat to hold the crystals. You could ring Cuccio on 01159753656 and ask them to send you a sample of their clear pronto gel and then use that.
Cure times are set by the brand & depend on what lamp you are using too. When you ring Cuccio you can ask them for their recommended cure times.

These are my sherbet crystal :) they are ss5 not counted how many I have on but I used a bag of 200 and had some left! Yes I haven't packed them in as tight as I could maybe fit one or two more on but I like to see the white CND Shellac rock star underneath

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373203619.839905.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1373203619.839905.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 366
I don't use anything under my crystals and I always pack on as many as I can as I want the colour to come from just the crystals.
Here are some of my previous crystal big toes:

Ohh nooo I always do a rock star under the crystals usually to match the colour of the crystals but I did white to make the sherbet colours pop! I don't like the look of naked nail under the crystals! But I used the complete CND Shellac system with my crystals so its super easy to do the rock star! I've done it with plain colours under and found it doesn't have the same effect and glitter!!
When Holly (fingernail fixer) was over for the event I showed her how I do a crystals pedi and she did a video! It's great I'll try find the link!

Found it:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JiCGdyz5xeI

Thank you :) ill give them a ring to double check it all! When I've looked I had a little pot of their base coat, and a little left in the pots of clear and a very light pinky colour! I currently use a gelish LED lamp, but haven't tried the gel in it so I'd better ring up to see if it'll set alright!

Just watched the you tube vid with the crystals on top of the rock star toes, which look fab!

My client I'm trying this out on wants just plain crystal silver crystals, so it might look more effective with a little glitter underneath!

Has anyone tried this with the Harmony Gelish instead of the shellac?! I'm presuming it should last just as long as its a similar product!

Awesome tute!
Thanks so much; for some unknow reason I've got loads of people asking about this just now, and now I feel confident to do them!

anyone tried brisa or smoothing gel?

Latest posts

Back