Cud, wud,shud...guna use English!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

izzidoll

Strictly Scottish Geek!
Premium Geek
Reaction score
I have noticed over recent weeks that a new language is creeping into posts.
It's not text talk or even abbreviations, it seems more like completely made up words.

I have to read, reread and read again to try and get a sense of what the poster is trying to impart, but I am sure a lot of my fellow geeks don't have this determination or patience, therefore they will just ignore it and move on.

That is not good for anyone ;)

Sadly people are still abbreviating words like you and your to u and ur and r instead of are which also, like this made up language is off putting, and dare I say it rude!

This is a Global site English is the language used, therefore it should be used properly to make sure all our members especially those for whom English is a second or even third language can understand and join in the discussion.

I don't expect everyone to use perfect grammar or punctuation but please stop making up words for the sake of it!

(I think I worked out that cud is not actually what cows chew it is someone's idea of the word could!
Wud is would
Shud is should
Guna is actually a triple whammy of laziness here because its a shorter version of gonna which is of course meant to be going to ! )

Last edited:
Hallelujah!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Well said. There's been a lot of this brought up on the rant thread too.
We have a community page on Facebook in my town and some posts are awful, poor grammar, poor spelling, text speak and no manners. Then they wonder why no one responds with offers of help or suggestions. Then you get comments about how badly their post reads followed by rants about 'who do you think you are?'
Hopefully members here will appreciate the reasons for the above request and respect it.

Pass that Lady a large drink! Well said Izzidoll
:D
Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I really hope everyone reads this thread, not just those who are equally frustrated, and understands the importance of making yourself understood to all of the wonderful, knowledgeable Geeks who use this site.

I definitely don't want to start a rash of people starting to openly criticise others use of these strange and abbreviated words on threads, or even to report posts where they are used, I just want everyone to realise that what they post should be able to be understood by all Geeks, and if your post is unreadable you greatly reduce your chances of getting a response.

Its not a rant, its just a plea for some common sense and consideration for all our members.

Last edited:
OMG! R u kiddin?! I av no idea wot ur on about??!!! Every1 shud rite lyk this! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please and thank you go along way too, when asking for help :)

Thank you for this!
It really annoys me.

Also can people PLEASE say 'could have' instead of 'could of'
It's not even a shortened version, It's just the wrong word and doesn't make sense ...

Laura xx

Great post. I'm getting increasingly frustrated at posts like these and often don't even bother opening the thread if it looks like it's going to irritate me.

Also, posts without any punctuation really bother me. I'm not talking about the difference between colons and semi colons for example, just the continuous sentence posts. I really feel these should be edited or removed if possible. They make for really difficult reading.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Please and thank you go along way too, when asking for help :)

Absolutely - and to maybe go back to a post you have started and actually read the responses and thank people for taking the time - it makes a world of difference!

Vicki x

thank the lord its not just me! I cant stand bad grammar or bad spelling I'm not the best speller in the world but shortening words is just damn lazy! so i in turn get lazy as i can't be bothered to decipher what the person has written

so please stop writing like you are from the ghetto and just speak English ;)

Absolutely - and to maybe go back to a post you have started and actually read the responses and thank people for taking the time - it makes a world of difference!

Vicki x

Which one Vicki? Just checked my posts and can't find one I've not thanked, :/ 1st time I've logged in since early this morning, and that was a quick one x

Which one Vicki? Just checked my posts and can't find one I've not thanked, :/ 1st time I've logged in since early this morning, and that was a quick one x

I think this was a suggestion to users generally and not specifically to you KHS....that's how I took it anyways.

I think this was a suggestion to users generally and not specifically to you KHS....that's how I took it anyways.

Ohhhhhhh ok, thanks Rinn, I've just been frantically going through my topics to see what I'd missed in.a mad panic haha x

Ohhhhhhh ok, thanks Rinn, I've just been frantically going through my topics to see what I'd missed in.a mad panic haha x

Public apology. This wasn't aimed at anyone. Rinn got it right. KHS please read my posts. This kind of sarky comment is so not my style. Sorry you thought it was aimed at you. I'd send you hugs....... hang on don't even know where they are. Give me a minute. .....
Can't find hugs. They're not my style either. I'll send you one anyway x

Public apology. This wasn't aimed at anyone. Rinn got it right. KHS please read my posts. This kind of sarky comment is so not my style. Sorry you thought it was aimed at you. I'd send you hugs....... hang on don't even know where they are. Give me a minute. .....
Can't find hugs. They're not my style either. I'll send you one anyway x

Hahaha please don't worry Vicki, I was more concerned I'd fluffed up and didn't do what I preached haha thanks for the hug x

I feel the need to bump this up, as I have been unable to make sense of some posts over the last couple of days, with so much use of the word wud and phrases that were so unintelligible no translation could be made :eek:

NOTE: We can't help you if we can't understand you!

I feel the need to bump this up, as I have been unable to make sense of some posts over the last couple of days, with so much use of the word wud and phrases that were so unintelligible no translation could be made :eek:

NOTE: We can't help you if we can't understand you!

I struggle with these words, and with the posts without any punctuation, so that you don't know where one sentence ends and the next begins.

Like you say, if its not easy to read then I just go to the next thread. Shame

Some sentences are so long I find myself holding my breath when I read them 😁

Reading this thread reminds me of the daily battles I have with my teenage daughter. Whilst I admit I am sometimes guilty of missing out letters, or forgetting correct punctuation (I'm dyslexic) I hate text talk! I'm forever correcting my daughter "isn't it, not in it" and "and, not an"! Maybe a lot of it is down to the genre, and the fact that these days young people seem to use mobile phone texting as their number one method of communication!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back