Curling hair with tongs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicole<3

Reaction score
This may be a bit of a stupid question :smack:
but do you curl your hair under or upwards with tongs? Or.. iv even seen people pointing the tongs in an upwards position?? is there a right or wrong?
what way do you use or preffer, to get the best results?
Finished with the (not so quick) questions lol :lol: x

This may be a bit of a stupid question :smack:
but do you curl your hair under or upwards with tongs? Or.. iv even seen people pointing the tongs in an upwards position?? is there a right or wrong?
what way do you use or preffer, to get the best results?
Finished with the (not so quick) questions lol :lol: x
When I used to use tongs it would depend what I wanted,if I wanted flicks then tongs would go on top of hair if I wanted to curl under then tongs under hair,all depends on the style.Use GHD's now for everything.

i want just a loose curl but ive seen people use so many diffrent methods its ben playing on my mind lol

i want just a loose curl but ive seen people use so many diffrent methods its ben playing on my mind lol
Best thing to do would be to go to your local hairdressers and ask them to show you,there are some marvelous things you can do now,but think it may be difficult for someone to try to explain on here without showing you.HTH

its pretty much a last min query as im off on holiday early hours of the morning and will be back in a weeks time.. ready to go out for the first proper time since having my daughter.. a so called wetting the head?! (if thats what its called)

Try spiral tongs.

They are fool proof. Simple to use.
They have spiral grooves embedded down the length of the tong.
Imo you would get what you are looking for.

You can achieve a very similar effect with normal tongs.

The trick is to only put a fine mesh of hair in the tongs .

Make sure that the ends of your hair are not sticking out otherwise the ends will be buckled.
Spritz the hair with hairspray - then -
Normal tong method.
Holding the tongs , looking through the mirror - begin at the bottom end of the barrel(tongs), not the top. (THE FREE END) (NOT THE END TOWARD THE PLUG)

Making sure the ends of your hair are smoothly gripped in the end of the tongs and gently wind your hair (through the mirror your tongs will be vertical) up the length of the tong. Or down depending on Which way you are holding them!!

Hold for around 15 seconds (use your discretion) and gently unwind , making sure that you dont pull or tug.

Repeat this procedure .

If you want a looser curl put more hair in the tongs.

hth. xx

Great detailed advice Elaine x x
Picked up some great tips from that :) cheers

julesx

I see a tutorial on it's way Elaine :wink2: xxx

Hiya
There are some great tips on BaByliss Pro - Inspiration For Professionals for curling with tongs, AND their tongs are really good too! I bought a conical wand last year and they are amazing! creating really tight curls!

Latest posts

Back