Curly hair - frequency of washing advice!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtp

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Can you guys give me the benefit of your advice, particularly anyone with experience of curly, fragile, fine hair aka a hair nightmare!

My new hairdresser has advised me I must stop washing my hair so frequently (I exercise 5-6 days a week, and my hair is washed at least once a day).

Her view was I am stripping my very fragile, curly hair of natural oils thus exacerbating the frizziness etc. She is a curly haired lady, but has very thick hair, so a bit different to mines.

She went on to say I should only wash it from day 3 onwards, in between times spray it with water perhaps and give it a shake (!) and loosen it out with my fingers. She said if I really couldnt do this I could perhaps just run hot water thru my hair, and then condition - but again no shampooing.

I'm in week 3 of trying this out, but not yet convinced this is okay i.e. working out, getting sweaty but not washing my hair.

What does the UK jury say? Any responses welcome, whether in agreement or not:).

cheers,
jtp x x x

Hi,

I have to say I have really thick curly hair as well, and alhough I rinse and condition it in the bath every day I only wash it twice a week. I find it is much more manageble with less washing and less frizzy. Also it seems to curl better.

yes i think you should wash it less than every day - why not go for a comprimise until your hair gets used to it? try every other day and with one shampoo,for normal hair unless your hair is coloured and then maybe a little conditioner for curly /dry/ on the ends ,then hopefully your hair will feel clean ,and conditioned!

i wash my hair daily ususally, i know i shudnt haha, i have really think BIG curly hair, but i usually manage to defriss it bein a hairdresser and all haha, i straighten mines alot tho and when i do it goes greasy round the fringe and i do sometimes cheat and only wash my fringe and longish bits at sides, because that is what most people see first about ur hair, if that is clean and grease free it gives an illusion of the rest being grease free to. . x

When you wash your hair use a very moisturising shampoo as like you said it can get very dry. What about curls rock by tigi? They do a whole range of shampoo conditioners and styling products. I baught the set for a friend with fine curly hair a few years ago and she very impressed. Also a nice leave in conditioner?? Never brush wet hair use a wide toothed comb...hope this helps:hug:

Hi jtp,

Im a nail geek but my sis is the hair geek with masses of curly but thick hair. She also excercises 5 - 6 days a week so she also washes it everyday. She suggests washing your hair in a mild moisturising shampoo every second day and every day she recommends you use Equave Active Defence leave in spray conditioner for fine hair by Revlon, which has no build up and does not weigh your hair down. If you can lightly defuse it to take the heavey wet out and try to let it dry naturally as much as poss.

All your hair needs is lots moisture, but very light moisture as your hair is fine. If you cant stand the idea of not washing your hair everyday, get the shampoo in the range aswell. You should be able to wash your hair everyday with the right products used the right way. Avioid brushing your hair to ofter too. Also put in Seal Serum, Hairdays by Revlon after washing and towel drying (patting the hair).

Best of luck!:Grope:

Tray

PROFESSIONAL ADVICE- from a heavily highlighted, naturally curly, very fine haired geek- Shampoo every other day with a shampoo recommended for curly hair, most curly hair requires more moisture so it is a delicate balancing act when you only possess 12 hairs and they are as fine as silk...

L'Oreal professional lines- Keratase, Pureology and Expert all have lines dedicated to curly hair. The environment also plalys a huge factor. If you are in a dry climate kick up the moisture a notch, if the climate is humid, shampooing isn't going to make a significant difference.

Personally, if I excersise and get all sweaty I am compelled to shower and shampoo, I usually incorporate a deep conditioner into the routine and switch off between them. I find less breakage and frizz if I do.

Latest posts

Back