Customer color complaint (long post)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yosemite

Reaction score
Some background: I've been working in a salon for almost 3 years, but I went to a trade high school for my license so my 1500 hours was spread over 4 additional years being in this type of environment. My first year in a salon was spent at a private salon and being further trained by the owner and other experienced stylists before I went to a chain salon.

So I tend to start my foils in the back of the head, not a lot of people do this but so long as the color's even, no big deal right?

So long story, hoping to get some advice.

So yesterday I have a root touch up, nothing crazy. I work at a chain salon and she was a walk-in so I'm look through her hair trying to figure out how the previous person got this in her hair, they were chunky weaves which isn't really my thing, I prefer doing really thin slices and weave on the scalp (which is how one of my old-coworkers trained me who was always busier then the owner of the salon I used to work at) , but that's what she had so I adjusted my foil placement accordingly.

It's a partial so I start in the back down the mowhawk section and then either side (like a perm) and usually I work parallel with the part, but since it's chunky streaks I do the front vertically. Finish the mowhawk section in the front and all is good. She turned out beautifully, color was even and she didn't complain and said she loved the color when I asked if she liked it and she tipped me well, smiling as she left.

About an hour or so later the mother calls to complain about the color, I wasn't privy to the conversation because our receptionist answered but from what I heard the mother first complained because I "started in the back, and that's not how we do things" and then said the front was "too chunky" and wanted it fixed.

Usually I just let this stuff roll off my back because I know I did a good job, and the situation is generally out of my hands in this situation. She was booked with another stylist for another day and I'm just wondering if I should have gone about this another way? It's just after prom week and after having a few stressful weekends this was a real kick in the confidence department.

Does anyone else start their foils in the back of the head (crown area), or have any tips for foil placement? I like to start in the back because the hair around the hairline is so fragile, and lifts easier then that in the front.

I always start my foils at the back then sides then parting,

I usually start at the back!

For me it depends on the hair if I start at the front or back it I was trained to start st the back.

Same here. Trained to start in back. How dare she? How did she even know where you started?? You are the professional not her. Cheeky mare!

Who on earth gets their mother to ring and complain? Is the client 6 years old?

Yep, I often start at the back too. :)

I always start at the back! Sure the fools would be in the way otherwise no? Unless you pull everything forward then clip up and that generates extra heat the the most sensitive areas of a head?
Baffled

Did you have a thorough consultation and note that they were chunky and asked of she wanted them improved/more blended?

Did you have a thorough consultation and note that they were chunky and asked of she wanted them improved/more blended?
Yupp! Made sure to be clear that we were focusing on the root of the already existing highlights, the client didn't haven any complaints when I was doing her and as she left, it was her mother that ended up calling after a while who wasn't even present during the service.

Also thanks so much for the feedback guys! I really appreciate it

How old was this girl? I've had this before twice! With the mother not present then kicking off when they went home because the parent didn't like it! I don't do young people anymore without speaking to the parents first and I also get my clients to sign a form to say they are happy with the consultation and if they have any questions to ask before hand

she was a teenager, at least 17 to early 20's and she was very nice and laid-back so I was a little blindsided. The form sounds like a good idea, we have those mostly if people insist on getting something we know will damage their hair, but it could work for something like this. The only point that makes it a little odd for me is that i'm young myself (only 20) so I do get the side eye and people asking me how long i've actually been doing hair (which is longer then our new manager)

Last edited:
Take no notice. People look at me and do the same. I'm only 22 and I own the salon which people can think is a little funny. Confidence is the key! I also have cctv with a mic so if I ever have trouble I tell my clients I can get the footage on a disk to prove I was in the right

Latest posts

Back