Customer toilet

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy89

Reaction score
Is it a legal requirement for beauty salons to have customer loos?

I don't know but I wouldn't frequent one that didn't have a loo.

I turned down the first premises I looked at because of no toilet facilities. I think it's a must have regardless of the legalities.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Even if it was perfectly legal (which I'm not sure it is), what would you do if your client said they needed the loo - especially mid treatment?

I must admit I haven't had a client yet that's needed to use the loo in my home salon, but I can't imagine telling them I haven't got one and sending them to the coffee shop down the road. :eek::biggrin:

I have a small home salon and just about every customer of mine has needed to use my loo at some point... Maybe I should stop giving them Tea and coffee 😂😂

I work for a family business , it's a beauty and sunbed salon. Clients often need the loo- including those that use the sunbeds. I told my parents that we are going through loo roll like fun- I work in this salon alone. They said- we are on a water meter, stop letting them use it. I'm pretty sure that there aren't customer loos available in my local Sunbed salons. But with a loo right in the middle of the salon and customers knowing where it is. Also it isn't locked. How on earth do I turn around after 2 and a half years of allowing toilet use and say sorry you can't use it??

I work for a family business , it's a beauty and sunbed salon. Clients often need the loo- including those that use the sunbeds. I told my parents that we are going through loo roll like fun- I work in this salon alone. They said- we are on a water meter, stop letting them use it. I'm pretty sure that there aren't customer loos available in my local Sunbed salons. But with a loo right in the middle of the salon and customers knowing where it is. Also it isn't locked. How on earth do I turn around after 2 and a half years of allowing toilet use and say sorry you can't use it??
To be honest, if you told me that, I probably wouldn't come back. Sorry :/

Sent from my SM-N910F using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm going to be working from a cabin but if clients need the bathroom ill have to bring them into the house. Not a problem for me.

I don't know if it's a legal requirement but I think you need some kind of toilet access for comfort x

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I don't think that's possible and personally think is quite bad practice! I would bulk buy toilet roll from Costco and I'm sure there are things you can put in the toilet to reduce the amount of water used per flush.

Be savvy, don't make your clients uncomfortable!

There also is the question if YOU want to work all day in a salon without a loo?

Haven't you posted on here about this previously?

It is absolutely ridiculous to have toilet facilities but not allow clients to use them.

Vic x

Cheap toilet paper goes down quicker than a quality toilet paper, never leave lots of spare rolls in the loo.
There are toilets which now have a low & high flush settings, if you don't have this or can not afford a new toilet, try the water saving bags you can pop in the system.
In all seriousness if it's there in the middle of the salon & you don't let clients use it, I'd personally find another salon & think it was completely odd & ridiculous.

You need to put your prices to reflect your outgoings this reflects toilet paper & water bill.
My clients rarely use the toilet however they are aware it's there, should they need too.
Hth kt

If I were a client having say, a luxury facial, waxing done and then nail extensions. I would most probably need to use the toilet within that time and to be honest if the salon I went to had no toilet id be a little put off going there.

I can't actually think of a salon that I've been to that hasn't had toilet facilities.

Also because salons are mostly used by women, we have reasons for needing the bathroom for 'lady' reasons, it would be very awkward for a client that needed to use the toilet for this reason and there not being a toilet within the salon.

If you have the room it's quite cheap to fit a toilet and a little corner hand basin various DIY places do the complete kit for £99

To the op.

Do your parents have any experience of running a business or have they just put you in there, then get annoyed that the salon actually costs money to run.

If you were a regular member of staff, you'd be telling them not to be so ridiculous as to lock a toilet door because flushing the loo costs too much money.

I don't envy you your position. The rules and regulations your parents are implementing can only make growing a successful business really hard.

Vic x

We have a tanning and beauty business and LOTS of our clients use the toilet. It's a bit of extra work in many ways, especially checking them for cleanliness etc but I can't ever imagine not allowing people that one very basic need. Pay whatever it costs for water and the loo rolls and....well just crack on!! :)

They have no previous experience of running a business.
Your right I have previously posted this. They changed their mind but now ive mentioned how much loo roll my salon goes through, they are saying i should stop letting all customers use the loo.
Your right, its completely absurd. This is why im leaving the business soon.
I asked for a payslip to be produced and my father was trying to guilt trip me on how much payroll costs.
They also wont employ another member of staff as they 'cant afford it'
Therefore I am a lone worked

Vic...
They have no previous experience of running a business.
Your right I have previously posted this. They changed their mind but now ive mentioned how much loo roll my salon goes through, they are saying i should stop letting all customers use the loo.
Your right, its completely absurd. This is why im leaving the business soon.
I asked for a payslip to be produced and my father was trying to guilt trip me on how much payroll costs.
They also wont employ another member of staff as they 'cant afford it'
Therefore I am a lone worked

Loos are very important.

I took over a "failed" salon business and I had tough words with the landlord about the loo (it's a multi use building with shared loo). The loo wasn't up to scratch and was frankly off putting. I looked up the requirements and they specifically mention that beauty salon customers may need to use the loo compared to customers of other businesses. Since my landlord had planning permission for treatment rooms I told him he had to accept the associated costs.

Once we had the loo renovated our bookings took off. One of our regulars said how nice it was to know that you could use the loo if you needed to.

Our loo isn't accessible within our salon, so customers have to ask to use it (we have to let them through a locked door) You could try taking the loo sign off the door and maybe putting in an external door lock so customers have to ask for the key

and shop around for a good deal on loo roll. I buy 48 loo rolls from Bookers for about £12. I use the same loo roll at home, it's fine.

Latest posts

Back