Customers requesting discounts for multiple treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

josheardown

Reaction score
Recently I have had a few potential new clients enquire about discounts for multiple treatments. E.g. discount for having hands and feet done or for a package of treatments.

What are your geeks thoughts on this? Do you oblige, do you not oblige? If you do oblige, what is a reasonable discount? If you don't oblige, then why not?

I'm on the fence with this one.... I want to attract new custom, but then I don't want to set a precendence. I want to be known for my skills and booked for that reason, not because I do cheap deals. I have a decent client base at present, all of who pay full price. However I do need to attract new clients as I do have the odd quieter day. I should point out that I already do offers from time to time on my website and on a local voucher site

Thanks geeks! :) xx

I give a 5% discount if someone has 2 or more treatments because I'm home based and leave half an hour between treatments. If someone has more than one treatment it saves me time so i don't mind giving the discount. HTH x

I do one client frequently for a full set if lashes 50 gel enhancements 25 and a spray tan 15 so it's quite a lot for her to pay out at once. I usually give her the tan complimentary and she always tips me so it prob ends up that she gets a 7 tan. I also put similar packages together for good clients if they are having the works done as a thank you for being loyal to me really . I wouldn't neccesarily offer this to new clients however

...oops....continued!....as I feel this would devalue my brand but equally if it was a bride I would do something as its a special day and it's my gift to them! I think it's a bout the way you market discount but I feel rewarding regulars retains my regulars and sometimes offering discount to new clients brings me the wrong client for my business. I also feel it depends who your target market is. Hth

basically no i wouldnt give it to them! i do regular offers for my clients, but i choose treatments that i wouldnt loose to much money on! i find it very cheeky that clients think its ok to demand discounts! if i was in asda i wouldnt go to the customer services and say " i know your beans are half price, but i dont want them, i want these pizzas half price".

:Love:

I am mobile so I do knock a few quid off, saves my fuel and setting up/time etc. Xx

Definately not.....
I have things that I do package deals on anyway such as waxing, but I would never give a discount to any client that just asks for it. To me this sents the message that our prices are negotiable and they most certainly are not.
If I gave a discount for a man/ped then their next question will be can you do a discount if I have shallac and minx.
I don't charge cheap prices and I don't want cheap clients. We have a loyalty scheme and I do regualr promotions.

I never offer discounts although I do massage so doesn't really apply. If you want to offer a discount for having several treatments together, which does have benefits if you are mobile, then I would offer them as a package rather than offer a discount.

Thanks for you responses geeks, really helpful and a good balance of opinions too! Always good to geth other opinions on these things. Will formulate my response to discount lady now! :)

Thanks for you responses geeks, really helpful and a good balance of opinions too! Always good to geth other opinions on these things. Will formulate my response to discount lady now! :)

let us know what you said x

If one of my regulars has several treatments, depending on what and how long it has taken me I may just take a little off at the end, but I think if a potential new client rang me to ask for a discount, I'd say no.

I don't want to go down the route of getting clients that are only after discounted treatments, but then I'm quite established now and really busy, don't know that I would could have said no when I was first out in business.

I would say no we have a Facebook page were we advertise special offers there is usually a different offer on all the time! That is something we want to promote.

Wonder if they going into tesco and say if I buy my bread and butter do I get a discount! Yes all brands have sales or offers but it is the companies choice not the customer.

I would say no.

I choose to offer certain packages or discounts each month, or not. I am reasonably priced and if they want the treatment/s they can pay full price or take advantage of my existing offers.

I feel that if i discounted for one person, i would have to discount for them all. Word gets around.

I have a loyalty scheme so that works to the client's advantage and a recommend a friend scheme.

If you have a certain time or day that is quieter, you could designate it as your "happy hour" where treatments booked during that time were discounted.

I have only had one person really push for a discount, the lady that owns the newsagent next door. I asked if she would then provide me with a discount when i shopped with her and she said no and paid me in full. I think people forget that this is how we make a living, not just a hobby xx

I wouldn't offer a discount as others say if you offer to one you should really offer to all. However you could take a note of what all these cheeky people are asking for and if you do run deals you could choose one of these if a certain one is asked for quite alot that way everyone is kept happy.

I think it also depends on how busy you are. If you are really quiet, is it not sometimes better to put a slightly reduced package together for them, rather than turn the business away altogether? Some treatments can be combined, thereby saving time anyway.

As i'm mobile I will knock £5 off combined treatments as it saves me travelling time and petrol. However, if someone had the cheek to ask me for a reduced price the answer would be no! (i'd probably charge them extra for being so cheeky :lol:)

I think it also depends on how busy you are. If you are really quiet, is it not sometimes better to put a slightly reduced package together for them, rather than turn the business away altogether? Some treatments can be combined, thereby saving time anyway.

Although this is true, i wouldn't like to be dictated to.

Also, if you do it the first time, they will expect it every time and won't see your service as worth the full cost as you can obviously do it cheaper, iykwim xx

we have noticed a huge amount of new clients asking us to price match in their words 'cheaper salons' - we thought the first call was a joke but lots are doing it now - anyone would think we were tesco!
One lady even said I want you to do it but not at your prices - I know you are better than xxxx!!!
We only reward our regulars!

i always say 'if you spend £60 or more in one session i will give you 10% off your final bill, obviously that won't include any other discount or offer' and that is ONLY to my regulars who ask when they are having bulk for holiday or so on, i made a really stupid mistake when i first started up mobile and i learnt from it, a regular client asked me if her and a friend had a pamper day, pedicures, manicures, facials... could i give them a discount, so i just said 'yeh ofcourse, i'll do 15% off as you are a regular client and its nice of you to introduce me to a friend', she asked me to be there at 1pm to start (yes ok, stupid already i know, didnt ask what treatments and so on, but i didnt have any other clients that day so it was fine). Got there at 1pm and they had a mini pedicure each and one of them had an eyelash tint.... AND i had agreed to giving them 15% off each AND the friend said whilst i was there 'my niece is a beautician so i usually use her so this is a one off'... wonderful...

I would never discount on request but I do discount for people who want to book for more than one treatment. I'm mobile and have to work around my husband's 7-7 job so it's important that I make the most of my time. I offer nails at my set price or £10 discount for both hands and feet or if they book with a friend. It's really good value for them and encourages more bookings. It is a huge discount but it works really well for me, I find that most new clients will book for both because of this discount.

Latest posts

Back