Cuticle problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leilaxx

Reaction score
Hello people :)

I'm having some problem with my cuticles. Using Sally Hansen Vit E nail & cuticle oil at the moment. My cuticles are growing pretty hard. I just trimmed them now they look like shrek hands :/ I didn't hurt myself or caused any bleeding- they just look weird, even though I was extremely gentle. I read many prefer pushing the cuticles but mine are pretty thick. Any advice please?

Last edited:
Is it possible to post a picture? Keeping the area moisturized is key.

I would recommend a professional manicure and be vigilant with the followup care. HTH! :)

Hey leila,
Maybe your hands and nails need moisturiser.. Why dont you put your hands in olive oil to give it full moisture

Are you actually cutting the cuticle? If so, stop. It just makes the cuticle grow back thicker. Cuticle is a protective layer, and if you attack it by cutting, it will defend itself by growing back worse.not sure if it's just the angle of the pic, but to me it looks like you're possibly using a metal pusher and actually pressing too hard and denting the nail in the process. Cuticle work takes care and knowledge to do right.

Hey leila,
Maybe your hands and nails need moisturiser.. Why dont you put your hands in olive oil to give it full moisture
You’d be better going for a manicure so a professional can assess what treatment is needed. If it’s moisture then a masque or paraffin wax may help and a cuticle oil to use daily.
Cutting your cuticles isn’t recommended.

Are you actually cutting the cuticle? If so, stop. It just makes the cuticle grow back thicker. Cuticle is a protective layer, and if you attack it by cutting, it will defend itself by growing back worse.not sure if it's just the angle of the pic, but to me it looks like you're possibly using a metal pusher and actually pressing too hard and denting the nail in the process. Cuticle work takes care and knowledge to do right.
Hi Attitude
The dents are there because had acrylics removed on the day. I also avoided the buffing step

You’d be better going for a manicure so a professional can assess what treatment is needed. If it’s moisture then a masque or paraffin wax may help and a cuticle oil to use daily.
Cutting your cuticles isn’t recommended.
Thanks cinderella

Removal shouldn't dent the nail at all.

I've seen a few having this problem. Mine are also pretty soft.

use parafin wax treatments and stop cutting cuticles. this only causes them to grow back harder

use parafin wax treatments and stop cutting cuticles. this only causes them to grow back harder

Thanks Mishayla
I have to try that. I've tried so many cuticle oils, but recently bought argan oil- it's the best! Just stating it to let others know too. This oil made my cuticles feel normal again.
Thank u all

Latest posts

Back