Cuticle work with gels

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kl995

Reaction score
I am new to doing nails and the salon I work in offers a ‘file and polish’ but for gels. I had a client in today for it who’s cuticles really needed doing but had a client after so couldn’t extend the appointment as time is short so the gels didn’t look very well done as the cuticles were so high up her nail so I’m a bit disappointed with how they ended up and am worried it will come back to me. I did say to her that her cuticles would need doing next time but has anyone has this happen to them before?

Yes next time perform a ”mini-mani” clean up. Basically push her cuticles back and use your barrel or football drill bit (for time purposes) to clean off the excess. When you send your “work” out the door it is a reflection/representation of you. And you want you want great representation. A client can go anywhere to get a service but when they come to you give them an experience 😊

I would not be doing gels on any clients without cuticle work, they won’t last

Fast 'file & polish' services won't work for gels, the idea of them is they're quick and cheap and can be done alongside hair appointments whilst colour is developing for instance, the polish isn't intended to last for weeks.

Gel needs a perfect base to adhere or it'll just peel and chip, this leaves the client disappointed with the service so they're unlikely to have it again, there's a cost implication, gel is far more expensive than normal polish so you're costing yourself money with no gain.

I am new to doing nails and the salon I work in offers a ‘file and polish’ but for gels. I had a client in today for it who’s cuticles really needed doing but had a client after so couldn’t extend the appointment as time is short so the gels didn’t look very well done as the cuticles were so high up her nail, so I’m a bit disappointed with how they ended up and am worried it will come back to me. I did say to her that her cuticles would need doing next time but has anyone has this happen to them before?

You know what i would do, be completely honest with her and tell her you're not happy with how her nails turned out, as you were short on time you didn't feel like you met her needs, see if she can remove the gel herself and offer to do them again. I know this will cost you time and money, but i am almost certain she will return, people love honesty and if she sees how much pride you put into your work she will never go to another tech, because i promise she will struggle to find a service like that from elsewhere. Personally i would take the risk, because if she's not happy with the job done, she won't return :(

Its so sad really that a lot of people don't realise that everyone has off days and improves with every set they do as well as constantly being under pressure of that next client turning up. But its life and it does happen. Think of it like this, how would you feel if you'd paid for something and weren't happy or could tell that the tech wasn't happy, you'd lose some trust in them. I always try to think like i was the customer receiving the product/service.

I really hope i may have helped you feel a bit better about the situation. Also, you should be proud that you recognised that wasn't your best you could have done if you had more time :)

Id love to know what the outcome of this is - Keep me posted

Latest posts

Back