Cuticle work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nailspink_0

Reaction score
Hi all
I've been doing nails for over 20 years. All of a sudden my cuticle work is crappy. On acrylic refills or full sets, they'll be a few that are nice but the others are bumpy when I put the gel polish on. What e file bit does everyone use on the acrylic around the cuticle. I still file around them too. Frustrating. Everybody else seems to have smooth flawless cuticle.
Any help would be appreciated.
😊thanks

Oh, anybody.

Why are you jumping to an e-file to solve a problem that didn't exist for 20 years? Is it more likely that client have over grown cuticles in the short term because of covid lockdowns, etc. and that the problem will resolve itself as they get back into the swing of maintenance again, and, you get back in your skills groove?

I use a ceramic bit for cuticle work

YoungNails have good videos on applying acrylic specifically at the cuticle area so theres minimal filing x

Thanks for your replies. For the last say 12 years I've used an e file. I don't know what I'm doing won't. The client was a new client fr o m another salon, maybe I was nervous? She was going to a nss and she was complaining about the shape, i couldnt see the problem, but she had filed the free edge down before she came. Im second guessing myself. But you go on instagram (i know i shouldnt) but the cuticle work is perfect.

But you go on instagram (i know i shouldnt) but the cuticle work is perfect.

No one posts their worst work on Instagram. Half of the super professional HD pics have had little touch-ups, perfect lighting. Don't let social media get you down, it's all fake. Happy clients is the main thing x

Thanks for your replies. For the last say 12 years I've used an e file. I don't know what I'm doing won't. The client was a new client fr o m another salon, maybe I was nervous? She was going to a nss and she was complaining about the shape, i couldnt see the problem, but she had filed the free edge down before she came. Im second guessing myself. But you go on instagram (i know i shouldnt) but the cuticle work is perfect.

And probably tweaked with photoshop, etc. I was absolutely gutted to find out one of the techs I avidly followed and greatly admired was photoshopping her images. How the hell was I supposed to achieve anything similar when the image was fake in the first place :mad:

Last edited:
Hi all
I've been doing nails for over 20 years. All of a sudden my cuticle work is crappy. On acrylic refills or full sets, they'll be a few that are nice but the others are bumpy when I put the gel polish on. What e file bit does everyone use on the acrylic around the cuticle. I still file around them too. Frustrating. Everybody else seems to have smooth flawless cuticle.
😊thanks

Instead of thinking all those years of work are suddenly crap, consider that you had almost a year away from work and might be a bit rusty and will improve with time. Added to clients not having their cuticles done properly for almost a year and not being able to work magic in one session.

Continue being amazing and encouraging rebooking maintenance 🙂

I’m a hair stylist but want to add that Instagram is awful to go to for images!!! I used to admire a stylist who did my balayage in my 20s. My hair color is on his portfolio and I was young and dreamed to get to his skill one day. I finally found the original he took with my phone. 2 different colors.. the picture I was idealizing... It’s all fake!! Just to add in :)

Hi all
😊thanks
I commiserate with you..did a gel pedi last week on nails still with 2 millimetres of previous gel (not by me) left on a few tips. Cuticles seemed cemented on and it took so long to get the nails prepped I got flustered and then wasn't happy with my gel application.
Wish I’d given her a quick soak, but can’t turn back time. Will be more flexible when I assess the nails to make it easier on myself.
Was thenp a day of mistakes, very unsettling and undermining, I’ve been ruminating over it for 3days!😢.

I always soak before any pedicure as I find its the best way to soften the cuticle and remove hard skin from the feet when you said gel pedicure did you mean just painting the gel on the nails and not a full pedicure? Just interested to see what other people are doing thanks

I commiserate with you..did a gel pedi last week on nails still with 2 millimetres of previous gel (not by me) left on a few tips. Cuticles seemed cemented on and it took so long to get the nails prepped I got flustered and then wasn't happy with my gel application.
Wish I’d given her a quick soak, but can’t turn back time. Will be more flexible when I assess the nails to make it easier on myself.
Was thenp a day of mistakes, very unsettling and undermining, I’ve been ruminating over it for 3days!😢.
I know, I'm still thinking about it. Questioning what I done.

I always soak before any pedicure as I find its the best way to soften the cuticle and remove hard skin from the feet when you said gel pedicure did you mean just painting the gel on the nails and not a full pedicure? Just interested to see what other people are doing thanks
I was doing a full pedicure, usually do the dry nail prep and paint.
I think I need to rethink my procedure.
I always end up soaking too long (hence I do the gel first so the nail bed isn’t wet) as I find it hard to stop working on the hard skin...i know it’s too long and they end up not getting the massage for so long. I’m working on it!
I was doubly flustered as I’d just done her bikini wax and the fir the first time in my 16yr waxing career, I bruised her skin. Then didn’t get her to rotate ends on the bed (have a particularly good ceiling light at the top of the bed for seeing..but I think It was also starting to cure the gel!)so I wasn’t in my usually position at the foot of the bed to do the feet. Argh! AND I didn’t have ‘white’ which she wanted because it’s been out of stock for ages with my supplier! ..I’m now looking at another brand to move forward with!
New client, also trained in beauty...nightmare. Feeling like an amateur.

Relying on e-file for manicure purposes isn't the right thing to do I'm afraid. You should be able to choose the type of manicure (there's 3 types) by examine client's skin (there's 8 types) and nails condition.

Odd choice of name what about our Male Techs???? 🤔

Bless you honestly we all ha
Relying on e-file for manicure purposes isn't the right thing to do I'm afraid. You should be able to choose the type of manicure (there's 3 types) by examine client's skin (there's 8 types) and nails condition.
HI can you please elaborate on the 3 types of manicure and 8 types of skin nail type that you mention please as I didn't fully understand your reply thanks in advance for clarifying.

I was doing a full pedicure, usually do the dry nail prep and paint.
I think I need to rethink my procedure.
I always end up soaking too long (hence I do the gel first so the nail bed isn’t wet) as I find it hard to stop working on the hard skin...i know it’s too long and they end up not getting the massage for so long. I’m working on it!
I was doubly flustered as I’d just done her bikini wax and the fir the first time in my 16yr waxing career, I bruised her skin. Then didn’t get her to rotate ends on the bed (have a particularly good ceiling light at the top of the bed for seeing..but I think It was also starting to cure the gel!)so I wasn’t in my usually position at the foot of the bed to do the feet. Argh! AND I didn’t have ‘white’ which she wanted because it’s been out of stock for ages with my supplier! ..I’m now looking at another brand to move forward with!
New client, also trained in beauty...nightmare. Feeling like an amateur.
I think you are being really hard on yourself you obviously care about what you are doing and want the clients to get the best experience. You will find a routine that works best for you i.e. I always pedicure with my client sitting then I get her on the couch to paint her nails as I find its a better angle and I can do this with them wearing flip flops. I have tried doing full pedis on the couch but I need to work on a better routine and be organised in a different way. Sometimes its good to write down a routine i.e. I way have a client having pedicure eye brow tint and paraffin wax manicure I try and make sure that I don't waste anytime so when the tint is on and the wax is on the hands I will finish the pedicure painting their nails. I'm sure you were just having a bad day but good luck for the future.

That's my business name. Is there anything else not right in your opinion or just the name?

I never said wrong, I said odd. Plenty of men working in, and spending money on, nails/beauty/hair - untapped market potentially lost. Just my opinion, which I'm entitled to.

Yeah... I thought this thread is about cuticle work, not help me with my business name. You can call yours whatever you like, so do I. What if you're hurting my religious or cultural or any other feelings? I guess you don't give a damn.

That’s an extreme over reaction to a clearly innocent remark.
Try dialling down your ‘offend-ometre’ a few notches if you want to stay and join in the discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back