Cuticles and nail prep

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailtech770

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a client (same toenail picker) who regularly gets acrylics. When she leaves them bare, she tends to chew at her cuticles to the point she tares off the PNF. She noticed some premature lifting on a few occasions when I applied a new set. Could it be these peelings cuticles? I did a clean up but so much a gal can do when the cuticles are so chewed. Thanks.

Lifting is usually insufficient prep, if any non living tissue is left on the nail plate you will get lifting. If she's ripped the skin you shouldn't be applying products to nails with open wounds. They need to be healed before applying. Once healed they are no more likely to cause lifting than any other. There is the possibility that her over grown cuticles are the reason she bites them. This needs addressing with after care advice and products.

As above poster advised, lifting is almost always down to poor prep and also poor mix ratio of L&p. When prepping you need to ensure there is no cuticle on the nail plate as this will act as a barrier for the product to bond to the natural nail plate. It sounds like she’s picking at her live skin eponychiumn ( not to be confused with cuticle which is dead tissue) this can cause infection

hope this helps also

Latest posts

Back