Cutting down waste?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgie.mxo

Reaction score
Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to cut down waste in the salon? I'm sick of throwing tons of foils away everyday and contributing to all the throw away crap we have on this planet. I've already switched to different reusable gloves. But I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions on ditching the foils?

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any tips on how to cut down waste in the salon? I'm sick of throwing tons of foils away everyday and contributing to all the throw away crap we have on this planet. I've already switched to different reusable gloves. But I just wondered if anyone has any suggestions on ditching the foils?
Are you talking about chucking clean, unused foils away? Or used?

Hmm that's a tricky one, I use foam wraps instead of foil, but I'm not sure how much better they are for the environment. But I do know they're more expensive to buy than foil. I suppose even meches just get chucked away, and they are part plastic, which probably can't be recycled, so probably no better off.

I know, it's so frustrating. I've been trying to do a lot of free hand work as the environment is very important to me but certain services require foil unfortunately.

I know, it's so frustrating. I've been trying to do a lot of free hand work as the environment is very important to me but certain services require foil unfortunately.
What brand of colour do you use?

Cripes don’t throw away foils! A quick rinse and put in recycling! If it’s a choice of not having time to rinse, remember that recycling companies HAVE to rinse everything they get so it will be done eventually. They just really appreciate what we can do ourselves (eg a tin of beans all over everything doesn’t help dry recycling but if they have to clean everything anyway).

I gave up using towels. I was tied to the machine all bloody day everyday and on weekends. I’ve got some towels from simply untouched that can go in the bin but biodegrade. Less ocean damage without laundry.

My husband just did my hair with v balayage and as it was his first time we thought freehand best with something to separate layers so uses the smaller hand towel sized disposable towels on top of each section. Goes across whole head and is long enough. It came out beautifully and as it was the first time using the towels I was so impressed. Barely any product residue even got on them either so it won’t be messy. They aren’t like a thick towel it’s more like a luxury paper towel that is super duper duper thick.

Last edited:
Cripes don’t throw away foils! A quick rinse and put in recycling! If it’s a choice of not having time to rinse, remember that recycling companies HAVE to rinse everything they get so it will be done eventually. They just really appreciate what we can do ourselves (eg a tin of beans all over everything doesn’t help dry recycling but if they have to clean everything anyway).

I gave up using towels. I was tied to the machine all bloody day everyday and on weekends. I’ve got some towels from simply untouched that can go in the bin but biodegrade. Less ocean damage without laundry.

My husband just did my hair with v balayage and as it was his first time we thought freehand best with something to separate layers so uses the smaller hand towel sized disposable towels on top of each section. Goes across whole head and is long enough. It came out beautifully and as it was the first time using the towels I was so impressed. Barely any product residue even got on them either so it won’t be messy. They aren’t like a thick towel it’s more like a luxury paper towel that is super duper duper thick.
Good idea! I do believe foil isn't recyclable in some areas. But most areas do :)

There is a lot of things that bother me with the beauty industry! My wax has disposable heads for instance, I need to sort that out.

Also throwing away files every client!

So hard

There is a lot of things that bother me with the beauty industry! My wax has disposable heads for instance, I need to sort that out.

Also throwing away files every client!

So hard

The file thing bothers me so anyone that religiously comes every 4 weeks I keep their disinfected products for next use. They like seeing that everything is cleaned. But I do a LOT of waxing and skincare so keeping a few files is not a storage problem for me. I will often give the file to the client to take home if I’ve only met them the once to save waste. At least they get used then instead of wasted. Just never the coarse ones for gel removal or they’d end up shredding up their nails gah!

I saw a documentary about salon hygiene and a woman owns a salon somewhere in the US that has a ‘filing system’ for her files which is nuts, like an entire wall of drawers just for each clients files and I think that’s crazy. If it was that important to me I’d do like a save (however much file costs) by bringing your own file and help save the planet. But I’d probably be met with useless little emery boards.

I’ve discovered that if you soak foot files in barbicide, using a brush dislodges all the gunk and they look good as new when used the next time and they are disinfected. I wouldn’t reuse a foot file on another person though as it gives me the heebies. I write on them in a sharpie with clients initials and put them in a big baggy (my wax pots come in huge resealable bags now for some reason not eco but I do make use of them and they can be disinfected too.

The file thing bothers me so anyone that religiously comes every 4 weeks I keep their disinfected products for next use. They like seeing that everything is cleaned. But I do a LOT of waxing and skincare so keeping a few files is not a storage problem for me. I will often give the file to the client to take home if I’ve only met them the once to save waste. At least they get used then instead of wasted. Just never the coarse ones for gel removal or they’d end up shredding up their nails gah!

I saw a documentary about salon hygiene and a woman owns a salon somewhere in the US that has a ‘filing system’ for her files which is nuts, like an entire wall of drawers just for each clients files and I think that’s crazy. If it was that important to me I’d do like a save (however much file costs) by bringing your own file and help save the planet. But I’d probably be met with useless little emery boards.

I’ve discovered that if you soak foot files in barbicide, using a brush dislodges all the gunk and they look good as new when used the next time and they are disinfected. I wouldn’t reuse a foot file on another person though as it gives me the heebies. I write on them in a sharpie with clients initials and put them in a big baggy (my wax pots come in huge resealable bags now for some reason not eco but I do make use of them and they can be disinfected too.

I keep envelopes with each client's name on with their sanitised files in. If I get the impression they're going to be a one-off client (special occasion usually), then I soak their file in sterilising fluid, air dry it and use it again (usually for pedis). It's just me in my salon and I don't work back to back 5 days a week and most my clients are regulars so they don't take up too much space, but can appreciate it wouldn't be ideal for bigger businesses.

This has been on my mind too. One of the things I am considering is using Paper Not Foil - has anyone tried it? I love the idea, apparently they can be reused by either hand washing or putting in the machine - would be great if they worked.

I forgot to log back on and check my replies! Thank you all so much for your responses and for the ideas. I had no idea you had to throw a file away after use... That's crazy. I think the hair and beauty industry needs to change personally. I know a lot of things need to change on top of this, but with not long left to reverse the damage we are causing I can't help but worry about everything I do now! I suppose its a good thing to be more aware of using ethical products and to ensure most of what you use can either bio degrade or be recycled. Defo going to start washing and recycling foils from now on and hope they can be recycled! So glad I ditched the one use latex gloves. Makes me shudder to think how much crap from salons is thrown away every day. I did 7 tubes of colour in just one day... Ugh. Frustrating that I don't know how to do this job without producing waste.

I forgot to log back on and check my replies! Thank you all so much for your responses and for the ideas. I had no idea you had to throw a file away after use... That's crazy. I think the hair and beauty industry needs to change personally. I know a lot of things need to change on top of this, but with not long left to reverse the damage we are causing I can't help but worry about everything I do now! I suppose its a good thing to be more aware of using ethical products and to ensure most of what you use can either bio degrade or be recycled. Defo going to start washing and recycling foils from now on and hope they can be recycled! So glad I ditched the one use latex gloves. Makes me shudder to think how much crap from salons is thrown away every day. I did 7 tubes of colour in just one day... Ugh. Frustrating that I don't know how to do this job without producing waste.

I feel the same! I wanted to love your post... it warms my heart to hear others care. I was on a course the other day and the actual trainer was advocating plastic eyelash containers to mix up the tint instead of the glass ones!!! It made me so sad.

I really love this post. If we all just make small changes it has to make a difference.

Since reading this thread I've started to recycle foils from shellac removal, use washable scrubbies for facials rather than cotton wool pads and reduced the amount of disposables I use for treatments without compromising on quality.

All tiny, tiny things but adds up over the week.

I really love this post. If we all just make small changes it has to make a difference.

Since reading this thread I've started to recycle foils from shellac removal, use washable scrubbies for facials rather than cotton wool pads and reduced the amount of disposables I use for treatments without compromising on quality.

All tiny, tiny things but adds up over the week.
That's brilliant, big well done to you. Sometimes it feels like you're the only one that wants to make a change so it's so nice to hear that others want to as well. Like you said, it's a small change but imagine if every salon across the world did it. Plus it feels better from a self love point of view to be doing the right thing. ☺

Latest posts

Back