cutting natural nail behind enhancement

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delisnails

Reaction score
Hi

I have gained a new client at work and she commented that where she used to go they would cut off her natural nail when it started lifting beind the enhancement and pull it off with tweezers.

I told her I had never heard of this and that when your nails grow up I would just carry on doing a rebalance or a natural nail overlay if they had nice shaped nails, otherwise after a soak off I would cut them back down before a new set.

Her reply was what do you do when the nail starts coming away from the enhancement, and I was stumped and did not know what to say. Feel silly really as I have been doing nails for nearly two years, but never come across this.

Is this normal practise?

Surely if the enhancement is applied correctly the nail won't separate from it anyway therefore no problem?!

It sound like lifting but from the other end! I would reassure her that her nail won't be coming away from the enhancement (esp if you cap it) and they will grow out to be a NNO which you've already stated! xx

I don't think it's common practice. Personally I would have soaked the nail off and re do a natural nail overlay.
The nail peeling from below can be prevented by using solar oil (or any other good nail oil) under as well as over the enhancement. It stops the nail from dehydrating and pulling away from the enhancement. Hth.:hug:

I have a client who came to me from a salon where they had used an electric drill to 'take away' her natural nail as it grew up behind the acrylic nail and she was so concerned when I started doing her nails because I hand file. But we haven't had any problems and she has been coming since last June.

unfortunately, we have to "untrain" and then educate clients who think, when we're doing things the "right" way, that WE are doing something wrong.

when they have gone to salons that run on an assembly line and don't really care, and then question every move ou do because, "they didn't do it like this at the other salon!", it makes you look want to scream!

kathleen
My Nails Rock!

Latest posts

Back