Cutting tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollysRose

Reaction score
I've recently started my Level 2 Hairdressing course and was wondering if anyone can give me any advice on how to cut hair! We've just started cutting hair on dolls and I'm struggling to get it straight. We're doing the one length cut and I just can't get it straight! I haven't been doing it long, just a few days, but it's really annoying me! I have my own doll at home to practice on regularly.

Can anyone give me any advice on being able to get it straight?

P.S. Please don't tell me this is the easiest cut!!

This is not the easiest cut. Is it actually straight but on a slant or is it all wobbly? It will take time and practise for you to be able to get it completely straight. You may want to fill in your information to say you do hair otherwise you won't get much advice regarding hair x

This is not the easiest cut. Is it actually straight but on a slant or is it all wobbly? It will take time and practise for you to be able to get it completely straight. You may want to fill in your information to say you do hair otherwise you won't get much advice regarding hair x

It's not all over the place, whilst I'm cutting it looks straight but when I've finished and step back to look I can see it has a slight slant. Especially around the sides.

I'll fill in my info now, I wasn't sure how to say I was training instead of fully qualified.

It's much easier on a real person with a back to lean on than a dolls head, so bear that in mind and don't lose hope! My best ways of getting a good straight baseline is to use your comb as a horizontal measuring point across that bottom, and take a few steps back and look at how your cut is going overall rather than just taking a bit more and a bit more off and a bit more, as that's where mistakes can easily happen!

Are you bending / stopping to cut? Are you eliminating any graduation?

Always pump your chair higher so you are at aye level .. Sit on a cutting stool , check that your client is sat straight without their legs crossed..

I always work with a profile parting taking small sections.. No tension in section.. Use the comb a a guide to ensure a straight line.. You shouldn't be movjng about, you should be sat square on behind your client combing every small section down with light tension and no graduation..

I've never been given the opportunity to sit on a stool whilst cutting, can I ask why this might help?

I was also told to hold the hair tight to straighten it more and then cut. I always do small sections at a time and I try not to bend.

It is always preferable when cutting to be at as close to eye level as possible.. Also when sitting we are less likely to bend into awkward positions... If the hair is washed and has been well combed through first then you only need a little tension.. If the hair has any movement your cut won't look one length when dry... I also find that stylists that use a lot of tension inevitably also result in some graduation in the line

It is always preferable when cutting to be at as close to eye level as possible.. Also when sitting we are less likely to bend into awkward positions... If the hair is washed and has been well combed through first then you only need a little tension.. If the hair has any movement your cut won't look one length when dry... I also find that stylists that use a lot of tension inevitably also result in some graduation in the line

Thank you for that explanation. I do usually hold the hair with a lot of tension so I'll try just a little tonight when I practice on my dolls head. Instead of sitting could I kneel? When I go to my lesson on Tuesday I'll ask for a stool to sit on but at home I don't have one to move around so could I kneel instead?

Kneeling could work as long as you don't slump.. Kneeling is pretty uncomfortable.. But then I'm nearly 40 lol
Could you stand and attach your doll head to something taller?
I advise you so use a stool.. We as hairsressers can over extend our muscles on a daily basis.. ;) good luck with your practice

Last edited:
Use your comb to hold the hair rather than your fingers. That way, you won't be pulling it too hard and creating too much tension.

Take very thin sections initially so you can see your guideline through it.

Don't cut, if you can't see your guideline.

College tutors aren't always the best at teaching! :-/

Use your comb to hold the hair rather than your fingers. That way, you won't be pulling it too hard and creating too much tension.

Take very thin sections initially so you can see your guideline through it.

Don't cut, if you can't see your guideline.

College tutors aren't always the best at teaching! :-/

Agreed. It's one thing being a good hairdresser but you also need to be a good teacher!

Thank you very much LAPirate. That video is great, I have looked on YouTube before but didn't want to learn bad habits. Toni and Guy couldn't possibly give me bad habits, right? ha

I think my tutor is quite good, I'm studying at an Academy that is primarily a proper salon as I didn't want to go to college. I've heard really bad things about the hairdressing training at my local colleges. I never thought about using my comb instead of my fingers, wouldn't that allow the hair to move too much?

If I was to use a different technique to my tutor, would that affect my assessments? That video looks a lot better then what I have been doing, and what my tutor does, so if I was to do it like that would I still pass my assessments as long as the final result is right?

Last edited:
No worries babe.. Toni and guy do some great training videos and books..
Good luck and keep practicing ;)

Thank you very much LAPirate. That video is great, I have looked on YouTube before but didn't want to learn bad habits. Toni and Guy couldn't possibly give me bad habits, right? ha

I think my tutor is quite good, I'm studying at an Academy that is primarily a proper salon as I didn't want to go to college. I've heard really bad things about the hairdressing training at my local colleges. I never thought about using my comb instead of my fingers, wouldn't that allow the hair to move too much?

If I was to use a different technique to my tutor, would that affect my assessments? That video looks a lot better then what I have been doing, and what my tutor does, so if I was to do it like that would I still pass my assessments as long as the final result is right?

As long as you get a straight line its fine! Do what ever makes you feel comfortable, withing health and safety guidlines of course!

Latest posts

Back