Cutting your own hair - would you do it yourself?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcidPerm

Premium Geek
Reaction score
I normally have my bleached lilac hair cut into either a short chin length bob or a short pixie style with a sort of fringe because it’s thin and fine and looks rubbish otherwise. :(

Obviously, this means getting it trimmed very regularly and I‘m seriously overdue a haircut. (In Ireland, we’ve been closed a bit longer than in the UK.)

I’m contemplating getting the clippers on it and doing a number 3 or 4 all over to keep me going. :eek:

I once asked my husband to help me bleach my roots at the back but we’d probably have to divorce if we tried that again. :rolleyes:o_O

So, will you be trimming your hair during quarantine? Do you have a handy other half who can help you out?

Nope, and I'd rather eat my eyes with a spoon than let Husband anywhere near my hair :p :eek: o_O

Let it grow and see what funky things you can do with it, spikes, curly, etc, then enjoy your lovely clean restyle once were released :cool:

I frequently point cut into mine and texturise it out a bit as my friend who regularly does my haircuts leaves it all too blunt. As for the clippers round the back I have seriously messed that up before on myself [emoji28] faded perfectly on my right side but then working that onto the left was impossible won’t be doing that again!

What about an undercut? That wouldn’t be too complex to do on yourself id have thought. Well once you have got the sectioning right? Would draw away the seriously overgrown bits at the nape for example? And then tidy up the perimeter round the sides?

I suppose whatever you chose to do if you are happy to clipper it all one length anyway must be worth a shot to try and cut it into something closer to your usual style first. If all goes wrong shave it off! I’m sure you would look great with very short hair too! Best of luck!

Although thinking back on that you mentioned you have quite fine hair- so maybe not the best idea. Still though if you are prepared to clipper it all down anyway I’d say have some fun with it first and see what you can manage by yourself.

If I could, I would, but I can’t and I won’t ;)

I normally have my bleached lilac hair cut into either a short chin length bob or a short pixie style with a sort of fringe because it’s thin and fine and looks rubbish otherwise. :(

Obviously, this means getting it trimmed very regularly and I‘m seriously overdue a haircut. (In Ireland, we’ve been closed a bit longer than in the UK.)

I’m contemplating getting the clippers on it and doing a number 3 or 4 all over to keep me going. :eek:

I once asked my husband to help me bleach my roots at the back but we’d probably have to divorce if we tried that again. :rolleyes:o_O

So, will you be trimming your hair during quarantine? Do you have a handy other half who can help you out?
Go for it, what do you have to loose?
But I wouldn't clipper it all over , I would definitely trim it all around your ears and and the back. If you have several mirrors you can set them up to go behind you and come around so you can see all angles of your hair. You're a very clever person, and I'm sure you can ace this!
Point cut through the top, you can angle the sides and back in I should imagine.
I have a client who occasionally cuts her own (previously a hairdresser) and she does a decent job to be fair.
But above all the encouragement, trust your gut instinct, if you don't feel comfortable don't do it :)
Let us know what you decide to do :)

I did it! :)
Doesn’t look too bad but it is very short, which I’m happy about. It won’t stand up to serious scrutiny though. ;)
I clippered the nape and up towards the occipital bone and used scissors on the rest. Managed to nip myself a couple of times trying to cut and look in the mirror.

I did it! :)
Doesn’t look too bad but it is very short, which I’m happy about. It won’t stand up to serious scrutiny though. ;)
I clippered the nape and up towards the occipital bone and used scissors on the rest. Managed to nip myself a couple of times trying to cut and look in the mirror.
Well done!
I'm sure it looks better than most peoples who've had their hair cut at home during this time!

I cut mine the other day too, though mine is longer so its easier!

I was thinking about ordering a new block and showing my mum how to cut just so she can do mine whilst we're in lockdown.

Glad yours went well!

I razored some layers into mine... long overdue.
I’m so glad you’re turned out ok. Bet it looks great.

I do mine myself quite regularly, although this was the first time clippering the back.
I went back to it a week later to adjust, but it looks alright. I think so anyway.....

Noooooo
I cut my dogs hair and that was bad enough [emoji23]

Latest posts

Back