Daily Mail article have you seen

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loo

Reaction score
My boyf bought home the Daily mail to show me with an article about safety from fumes including nail products whilst pregnant it is stating that they have observed that it has caused problems with pregnancy for the child in some cases and that they may be overactive and their memory, speach and learning etc was not as good as other children when they were exposed to solvents including nail product fumes which could be taken in via nose mouth and skin, even after the technician had taken precautions. It also says this is not a worry for people having their nails done but more of an occupational hazzard. I know that there has been concern over the whole can I work with nails whilst pregnant but what does everyone think from this article should we be worried or not. I dont know whether to trust everything you read what are your opinions. I would like to have a baby in the near future but wouldnt want to have to send my clients else where to get their nails done, however wouldnt want any probs with the baby either. :irked: Confused now????? What should we do when we fall pregnant or want to have a baby? I love nails I hope this article isnt anything to worry about but I am such a worrier!!!!!!

Love Loo xxxxxx

I would like to see where they got their information from. The FDA says its more than safe. Check out the technote in the articles section.

Well I can say that as long as you work smart and not hard, there is more chance of problems in your pregnancy related to smoking drinking and breathing in our poluted air...................
Faye can vouch for this and so can many others..............our twin boys are as fit as a fiddle..................

The only problem she had was reaching across the desk, due to the size of her bump........
31OUR_BOYS-med.jpg

Beautiful babes

Hope my grandson looks as healthy

LOL

Scared to death at 1st sight of this thread :eek: , but now feeling a bit better :D . Whyohwhyohwhy do the Press print stuff b4 it's been 110% proven?! :evil:

i'm sure people like to print this type of article to have us all worrying all the time no wonder we are all getting stress its reading all the junk thats out there!
kat xxx

Thousands of women have been doing nails and having perfectly healthy babies for 25 years!! In most cases right up to the last minute.

Nail technicians do not work in anything like the concentration of vapors or anything else that would cause harm.

Everyone knows they should work with adequate ventilation and take all precautions at work to avoid over exposure to the products we work with. This would be a normal precaution for anyone doing hair or beauty or anything else related. It is important that this advise is followed during pregnancy.

Do these things and you will be just fine.

I had JUST finished my training at college when i discovered I was pregnant (not planned!!) with my third child. I was really worried about fumes and dust etc so I asked the tutor if there was danger to the baby and she said no. 2 years on and my pregnancy went fine (my best of the 3! and my baby - toddler now - is a fit and healthy as they come. He is very quick to learn and pick up new things, definatley not hyperactive - just a normal 19 month old boy!!

Up To Scratch said:
Scared to death at 1st sight of this thread :eek: , but now feeling a bit better :D . Whyohwhyohwhy do the Press print stuff b4 it's been 110% proven?! :evil:
Most of the time, yes. Fact is much more boring (and sells far fewer papers) than fiction :wink2:

The Nail Geek said:
Most of the time, yes. Fact is much more boring (and sells far fewer papers) than fiction :wink2:
Too true... :wink2: Just a shame they have to worry people in the process huh :irked: ?

Anyhoo, will now go back to loving my job :cool: (creating my SAFE fibreglass, silk and acrylic powder dip nails :D ) and growing my baby :Love: without worry...!!

Thanks Geeg & GMG :hug:

Blimey, like women don't have enough to worry about when they are pregnant without adding anything else to the list of things that 'might' harm your unborn child, I don't think these 'journalists' realise the power they have to cause worry and concern, the problem is though that with all this 'shock' media the time when something comes about that really does need to be taken notice of people just won't take it seriously. J x

This the usual case of scare mongering! :smack: This article also mentions women who work in dry cleaners - of course it didn't show a picture of a dry cleaners - no - just the nail salon - as usual!! :rolleyes: The info is from the University of Toronto and gives opinion NOT fact!! Of course again because it is another negative connotation regarding our amazing industry it puts industry people in doubt, PLUS you guys - INFORMED TEKS - but MORE IMPORTANTLY the general public!!

I am trying to find out who actually wrote it - jeez - we take 2 steps forward and 10 back - feel like I am banging my head against a bloody brick wall!!! :mad: :irked: :eek:

Mrs Geek said:
I am trying to find out who actually wrote it - jeez - we take 2 steps forward and 10 back - feel like I am banging my head against a bloody brick wall!!! :mad: :irked: :eek:
The guy's name is Robin Yapp :Look_left

For anyone who wants to read the "article" :rolleyes:, you can find it here Daily Mail

Phew thanks for all your replies I too feel so much better now I have been reasured by you all. It is really bad that they get away with these articles those that dont know about your site could end up loosing business if they followed this article from the paper arghhhhhhh :twisted: Its nice to know that none of you have had probs with your pregnancies and those twins are just the cutest!!!!! :hug: Awwwww I am broody again lol.

I think that Sam should write another article in the paper in response to that one with the facts!!! lol Go Sam go Sam !!!! ;) :D It frustrates me so much when we are panicked by such articles and I am glad that I can come here to find out some real information. Thanks

Babies and nails woohooo I am well happy now I can have both!!!

Love Loo xxxxx

Whilst I was pregnant the papers printed reports that you shouldn't swim as chlorine could cause problems, you shouldn't drink too much coffee or tea, take hot baths etc.
Unfortunately I swam twice a week, had a craving for strong black coffee and could only bear a bath if it was boiling hot (I had back problems). My son is perfectly ok. They also say that eating strong spicy foods will bring on labour.....I ate raw chillies including the seeds throughout pregnancy (Another weird craving...as well as soap!!) and curries, and my son was two weeks late! I tend to ignore the papers and their stories.
Like the geek himself says... boring articles don't sell papers.

Oh my gosh! those are the cutes little tykes. You must be so proud.
Suzanne

Makes you wonder how the human race has survived until now before we knew all these things were bad for us. When I was pregnant we were told to eat liver at least once a week cause it was so good for you ... now it is a no no! :rolleyes: Samantha and Christian are here to tell the tale.

Common sense. We women have it in abundance. You can't tell diddly from a survey of 32 people! There are so many other factors that could determine things like intelligence like how intelligent were their parents and grandparents for a start??

Mr Yapp should stop yapping about a totally incomplete survey with a small number of people and probably no case history. This kind of article only causes unnecessary worry.

Just reading comments made regarding the recent Daily Mail article.

I have a girl working in my salon who is 4 months pregnant and understandably concerned about this 'new study'.

I am trying to get as much information for her to ease her mind, will be letting her know what i've read here including the technotes article.

I would appreciate any more help you could give.

amberxx

Amber, dont worry at all. I have done a lot of research on this article and discovered quite a few interesting things. Sadly I cant discuss them before my article is published in the next Scratch... however I can tell you that it isnt considered a 'study' in any way shape or form. And interestingly enough... there wasnt even a nail tech that was involved with the so called study. ;)

What a load of bull!! I suppose if one is working continuously with solvents in an unventilated atmosphere for 8 hours a day, there is a chance that inhaling the fumes might not be good, but in normal working conditions??? I would have thought that i would be inhaling more fumes while filling my car with diesel. I'd be more concerned about the effects of eating an average supermarket chicken (cocktail of growth hormones and antibiotics) while pregnant than working with nail products or eating liver, curries or brie.

Also, when I was having my first child some (21) years ago, i was advised to drink a glass of Guiness every night to help my iron count, and also to drink it while I was feeding her - I couldn't stand the taste of it and was made to feel that I wasn't doing the right thing for my baby. How times have changed.

Latest posts

Back