Daily Mail Article - The Spa Rip Off

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
The spa rip-off: £65 for a facial using £5 of product, £40 for a tan with spray that costs £2... One spa owner reveals the REAL cost of beauty treatments | Mail Online

Just read this on the DM website :eek:

A complete non story, thats like saying mechanics should only charge for the parts and no labour or even better shops should sell all the products at cost price.

I did like the qoute from the professional beauty editor that therapists need several years or training.Although Im suprised they didn't have someone say you could be fully qualified in a day :grr:

I don't take anything the Daily Mail says too seriously. They had an article last week about Cheryl Cole and her "unsightly legs", apparently she has cankles. It's a really horrible newspaper!

I've just read it online and have left a comment on the lines of how much did the journalist get paid, after all a cheap Biro costs 30p. Wonder if they'll publish it?

Dandelionpoppy ... Excellent comment! I'm not going to read the article as I don't want to get angry, these people wouldn't last 5 minutes in our industry. Pat on the back to us all for doing such an fab job and knowing our worth :wink2:

It is obvious the person who wrote this article did not do any research (or very little) before writing it:rolleyes:

I've just read it online and have left a comment on the lines of how much did the journalist get paid, after all a cheap Biro costs 30p. Wonder if they'll publish it?

:lol: this did make me chuckle and yes I have read the report and yes you are on the site, well done :)

lol good one love it - when the beauty challenege was on apprentice was ridiculous the amount of people going on about it as if we just set up overnight and wooo start making money instantly - people forget the years of hard work, sacrifice and determination it takes to get to the stage of profit making!!

I just read it. It was a badly written, badly researched and innacurate article. The Daily Fail at their worst.

Just read it, tripe tosh and nonsense........... do they expect us to be charity workers ???? Does the daily mail do what they do for free???? do they heck!!!!!!!!

BOG OFF DAILY MAIL AND TAKE YOUR 201 MILLION POUNDS PROFIT YOU MADE IN 2009 WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......

Don't worry geeks, pretty much every single person that commented in response to the article was slating the journalist saying what an ignorant idiot she was! The general public (the ones with a brain) are on our side. :)

Just read it, tripe tosh and nonsense........... do they expect us to be charity workers ???? Does the daily mail do what they do for free???? do they heck!!!!!!!!

BOG OFF DAILY MAIL AND TAKE YOUR 201 MILLION POUNDS PROFIT YOU MADE IN 2009 WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......

It's true! The beauty industry may have gone through terrorism , war , and financial resection relatively well but so did the newspapers !
At least our industry delivered people with a "pick me up"

I didnt read the article. But I get the idea. What about the cost of electricity, the cost of paying a therapist and receptionist, the cost of washing and drying the towels, the water rates and rent. The business rates, the cost of training, the cost of the upkeep and time it takes to PAT test the mashines. The cleaners, the insurance, oh I could go on and on. I am yet to meet a millionaire (but im sure there are some) who runs a beauty salon. Why on why do people not understand that self employed people are not making "easy money". Gosh it annoys me. Ill stop now xxx

The beauty industry is labour intensive and they fail to allocate this cost.

Let's add the VAT into all of the above. What a load of old tosh the article is. Of course a few treatments have a higher profit margin but plenty don't and indeed as stated there are so many unseen costs.
Sadly the way TV is contrived so badly these days what we actually saw painted the industry in an unfortunate light & there will always be those journos wanting to make a story out of nonsense.

The last few times I've been on there the reader's comments have all disappeared...obviously don't like people pointing out their sloppy journalism! Personally I've never had time for the Deadly Mail, which is largely the paper of the unthinking masses.

I love it......:D

Brilliant comparison!! :-D

Ooh the bit at the end saying better still do it yourself or find a mobile therapist, what she trying to say that us mobile therapists are the poundshop version of beauty salons, grrr

Ooh the bit at the end saying better still do it yourself or find a mobile therapist, what she trying to say that us mobile therapists are the poundshop version of beauty salons, grrr

Good luck to them getting the professional products themselves to use at home or even know what they're doing so they don't do
themselves an injury.

One of my clients told me she'd bought acetone from a sallys to do her own soak off and to heat the acetone she wait for
it....warmed it in the microwave!!!!!

I then had to inform her that acetone is highly flammable and asked her would she have considered heating petrol in the microwave to make her understand how serious what she'd done was.

Latest posts

Back