Daily Mail -yesterday!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cutey

Reaction score
Aargh!!!

Noted thread on sinus problems and then to my horror saw an artcile yesterday that in the British Medical Journal there is a "horror" article on respiratory hazards of "nail sculpture" for the CLIENT!!!

Can't find the journal online, can anyone get a copy?

Anyway I did find the BMJ.com and they have a rash of letters from the Health and Safety people at the government aleting the medical profession to the dangers.

"QUOTE!" Respiratory hazards of "nail sculpture"
EDITOR—We report our concern about the respiratory hazards of "nail sculpture."

From October 2001 to August 2002 we identified in the Yorkshire and north Lincolnshire area three cases of respiratory ill health (work related wheezing, tight chest) related to nail sculpture, a work activity which we think is growing in popularity; it entails using resins to improve the cosmetic appearance of fingernails.

Acrylic resins were the predominant (though not exclusive) resin type used. Although all three women had received training, none had been warned of the potential for adverse respiratory effects. Two of the three abandoned the work with improvement of symptoms; the other was able to continue after changing to another resin.

The respiratory hazards of using acrylic resins and applying artificial nails are well documented.1 2 Nail dust has also been associated with respiratory problems.3 We hope that this letter will alert family doctors, respiratory physicians, and others to this occupational hazard.""QUOTE!""

I think we can expect a "rash" of claims appearing because of this and scare stories in the tabloids

Just remember who has been preaching to use extracton ventillation for more than 20 years??

Just remember who is not doing it ... maybe YOU??

If people will not follow manufacturers advice ... what can they expect? I know one thing for certain ... they didn't attend a Creative Training or this would have been hammered home to them from day one.

NO DUST IS GOOD TO BREATH! VENTILLATION IS A MUST WITH DUST. SCULPT WITH YOUR BRUSH NOT YOUR FILE (TO MAKE LESS DUST)!!

What have you got to worry about if you have followed manufacturers advice. I have nothing to explain :eek: to my clients.

cutey said:
Aargh!!!

Noted thread on sinus problems and then to my horror saw an artcile yesterday that in the British Medical Journal there is a "horror" article on respiratory hazards of "nail sculpture" for the CLIENT!!!

Can't find the journal online, can anyone get a copy?

Anyway I did find the BMJ.com and they have a rash of letters from the Health and Safety people at the government aleting the medical profession to the dangers.

"QUOTE!" Respiratory hazards of "nail sculpture"
EDITOR—We report our concern about the respiratory hazards of "nail sculpture."

From October 2001 to August 2002 we identified in the Yorkshire and north Lincolnshire area three cases of respiratory ill health (work related wheezing, tight chest) related to nail sculpture, a work activity which we think is growing in popularity; it entails using resins to improve the cosmetic appearance of fingernails.

Acrylic resins were the predominant (though not exclusive) resin type used. Although all three women had received training, none had been warned of the potential for adverse respiratory effects. Two of the three abandoned the work with improvement of symptoms; the other was able to continue after changing to another resin.

The respiratory hazards of using acrylic resins and applying artificial nails are well documented.1 2 Nail dust has also been associated with respiratory problems.3 We hope that this letter will alert family doctors, respiratory physicians, and others to this occupational hazard.""QUOTE!""

I think we can expect a "rash" of claims appearing because of this and scare stories in the tabloids
I don't think we will have any cause for concern about rash claims.......
their findings span 2001-2002................
No report of any other cases , dating after that..........

So Technicians must be doing the right thing then, working smart and following basic Health and safety regulations............

The only thing that confuses me is.......the article claimed, that there was a concern for clients.........
So the concern is for clients safety, but then the rest of the Editors report reads ,concern for Technicians.......????

We all know that clients exposure time is minimal.........and with safe and correct working Ethics, no risks..............
An educated Technician is at no risk to her clients nor has any health risks to herself...............
Again the best training produces the best and safest Technicians!!!!!!!

Can you get the article scanned and send it to me, I would be very interested to read that.......
But if not, Catchline news, the agency that writes for the Daily Mail and other top papers, might have some more info......or will be abe to point me in the right direction........The owe me one lol !!!!! I will just have to do some naggin lol.........

Well I might be able to get hold of the latest BMJ...........Will make a few calls tomorrow...............

But then we all know as Geeg pointed out so rightly......................
Work smart not hard, and indeed not dangerous!!!!

If any of this is ture should we be lobbying the manufacturers to make safer products?

I can't believe no-ones interested in these issues?

Nailsinlondon1 said:
I don't think we will have any cause for concern about rash claims.......
their findings span 2001-2002................
No report of any other cases , dating after that..........

So Technicians must be doing the right thing then, working smart and following basic Health and safety regulations............

The only thing that confuses me is.......the article claimed, that there was a concern for clients.........
So the concern is for clients safety, but then the rest of the Editors report reads ,concern for Technicians.......????

We all know that clients exposure time is minimal.........and with safe and correct working Ethics, no risks..............
An educated Technician is at no risk to her clients nor has any health risks to herself...............
Again the best training produces the best and safest Technicians!!!!!!!

Can you get the article scanned and send it to me, I would be very interested to read that.......
But if not, Catchline news, the agency that writes for the Daily Mail and other top papers, might have some more info......or will be abe to point me in the right direction........The owe me one lol !!!!! I will just have to do some naggin lol.........

Well I might be able to get hold of the latest BMJ...........Will make a few calls tomorrow...............

But then we all know as Geeg pointed out so rightly......................
Work smart not hard, and indeed not dangerous!!!!
I replied to your post !!!!!!!...................
If anything we should keep a watchfull eye on so called trainers and training programs , to make sure that they educate Technicians in a safe and correct manner!!!!!!!!
That in turn will eradicate this issue !!!! EDUCATION is the key word here!!!!!

You wouldn't blame the car industry for joy riders accidents !!!!!
Uneductated drivers kill!!!!

Uneducated Technicians are a cause for concern!!!!!! Working smart and safe is the sole responsibility of any Technician!!!!!

Creative for example, make sure that their students know their stuff......
Even the Conversion Course covers all these smart working rules.........

So maybe those Technicians would have benefited from a decend education, one that teaches safe from unsafe...................

JMHO

Just ignore Nag, if he wanted safer products, he would not be using acrylates and gluteraldehyde.

I just noticed that Cutey has been thrust out into cyberspace so probably we shouldn't be taking too much notice of this thread. But anyway, I had read these posts yesterday and saw that there was supposed to be an article in the BMJ. We get this publication delivered every week cos my husband is a doctor. I had a quick look thourgh the most recent BMJ which is dated 10th April and couldn't find anything there.
If anyone wants me to look through recent past issues I will but as I say, I had noticed that the initiator of this thread has been banned anyway so it may not be worth spending time or energy on. Anyway, just let me know.
T'raa for now :biggrin:
Carol

The Nail Geek said:
Just ignore Nag, if he wanted safer products, he would not be using acrylates and gluteraldehyde.

Well thank goodness I did Chemistry. So all acrylates are dangerous, are they?

How about the ones used in nappies? or in cassette tapes?

Do us all a favour and be acurate in your comments. I don't know who NAG is but I hope he's more knowledgeble and factual and less biased than this bloke.

Lets leave the science to the Medical Experts and the H & S executive.

Lets se if this none biased post gets deleted because it's contradiction of the non biased Mr Geek.

acryl803.gif
Acrylates are a family of polymers, which are a type of vinyl polymer. Acrylates are of course made from acrylate monomers, and its about time we explained what those are. Acrylate monomers are esters which contain vinyl groups, that is, two carbon atoms double bonded to each other, directly attached to the carbonyl carbon.

acryl801.gif

sawasdee ka

Any body want to chat about the weather .

It is about 36 everyday in Thailand very hot sunshine tomorrow i will go to the beach with spicy tomorrow so he can PLAY in the water .

Mui from the land of smiles :)

ugh oh!!!!!!!!!!!
ere we go again

Mui what a great subject the weather is sunny here in kent today:biggrin:

Thats a fab chemistry lesson playday, is that all you want to say about acrylates? About gluteraldehyde?
Hey, as far as I am concerned, all nail products can be used safely, but here we have NAG in his various guises coming in here with lies and trying to go on about the dangers of EMA (why? maybe because its the only way he feels that he can sell his product), but then gets pissed when Acrylates and gluteraldehyde are mentioned? Especially when exposure to EMA is far less likely to cause an severe allergic reaction when compared to Urethane acrylates. We wont even go there about Gluteraldehyde as NAG clearly pointed out how crazy and toxic this stuff was (clearly pointed out here).

C'mon... you cant have it both ways eh?

Kind of like saying you are from lEEDS, but posting through a proxy server in Australia eh? ;)

PS. I think your caps lock button was stuck during your and registration. Reminds me of an email I just got ;)

I think its turning out to be Samuel Sweet web dective.
That Nag sure is a crafty devil :evil:
You just never know who he will pop up as next. Keep petrolling Sam

Hi

mui. been a beautiful day here to............ much better topic ..........done my garden ready for my summer plants............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back