'Damage' or de-hydration ... time to get honest with nail clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I already do this! And I use the conditioner/solar oil comparison too. I cant lie to clients and tell them that their nails will be the same after enhancments, however most of my enhancment work is rebalances now anyway so they are not bothered about their natural nails becuase they want to wear enhancments all the time. I think I said in another thread about what I say to them about cutting the nail down after removal, continuing to use oil after removal and waiting until the nail re hardens again, just keep them short untill they do. I also warn my clients that with l and P that if they fall down or slam in a car door or something that if the enhancment is lifted off then it could take layers of the natural nail with it. Do you know what I have never had someone turn round and tell me they have changed their mind about having them on. Becuase we understand the anatomy of the nails and hair etc we know that any "damage" will be temporary and that as with hair that has split, you trim it and make sure you use more conditioners etc and it will be all good. X

Bravo! Let's hope that we who do, will encourage others to follow in our footsteps .. that is what this thread is all about really.

Last edited:
I think this is a fantastic thread. I think where nails are concerned it's a trade off: Average looking natural nails all of the time or Nails that are left occasionally dehydrated temporarily when enhancements are used. If a client wants enhancements then we should make them aware. I know lots of people whose nails have been damaged by acrylics but they have them week on week, year on year.

I have to say I completely agree. I also don't use the word "damage" (I'm assuming that's why Geeg used quotes :p) I call it dryness. Makes them feel like it's reversible (which it is). And when I explain that to my clients, they are quicker to buy their oil and fix it.

This is also why I perform heated conditioning treatments as part of the service (not as an add-on or upgrade). Makes them feel like we are working together to ensure the quality of their service and nail hydration.

:) great thread!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm never sure what the 'politically correct' way of saying it is but I've only ever done 'natural' maincures and pedicures. As has been said...continually putting polish on nails can dry them out just as acrylics/gels etc can. I keep telling people to use solar oil or else they can get dehydration of the nail. Some take it on board and some don't. Reading this thread will make it easier for me to explain it all to clients - great thread!

We don't call it hair "damage", we say "the condition of the hair is compromised" or "degenerated". Are these phrases any use?

We don't call it hair "damage", we say "the condition of the hair is compromised" or "degenerated". Are these phrases any use?
Both could be used although I don't like the word 'degenerated' myself.. I sometimes use the word 'altered' as in, the condition of the nail has been changed or altered by the constant wear of nail coatings. As with hair, the alteration is a temporary consequence and not a permanent alteration.

Would love to hear more.

Last edited:
Personally, I like 'dehydrated'. It implies exactly that...dehydration. No damage. And dehydratiion is temporary.

Great thread! :)

Hi geeg. I couldn't agree with you more. There is no point in just creating good looking, enhanced nails if in a week they are going to be surrounded by dry cuticles and hang nails. It is our responsibility to educate the customers on the necessary aftercare for both natural and enhanced nail treatments. It seems very logical that prolonged use of polish and enhancements would cause dehydration and I feel customers would not be shocked to hear this. This honesty is more likely to motivate customers to use the aftercare products and advice that is given. I think the hairdressing analogy is perfect in getting this across.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Hi geeg. I couldn't agree with you more. There is no point in just creating good looking, enhanced nails if in a week they are going to be surrounded by dry cuticles and hang nails. It is our responsibility to educate the customers on the necessary aftercare for both natural and enhanced nail treatments. It seems very logical that prolonged use of polish and enhancements would cause dehydration and I feel customers would not be shocked to hear this. This honesty is more likely to motivate customers to use the aftercare products and advice that is given. I think the hairdressing analogy is perfect in getting this across.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

It has always worked for me! With the number of threads asking why they are seeing white spots on clients' nails I felt it was time technicians who should know already, know why and are honest about it.

Latest posts

Back