damage to the natural nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amberrowlands

Reaction score
what do you tell your clients when they ask if any damage is caused to the natural nail when wearing extensions?

i know when done correctly, removed correctly and maintened on a regular basis there should be a minimum ammount of damage, but does the longer you wear extensions effect the damage caused?

can you ever cause no damage when wearing nails long term? and how long do you think it takes the natural nail to recover when an extension has been broken?

just want to be honest with my clients and make sure i have my facts right.

thank you for any comments :D

amberx

No system as long as it isn't MMA will cause damage to the natural nail..........only a bad Technician does.................

Over filing, over blending and over exposure cause problems.........
Picking and using the nail as a tool will cause damage to the nail......
Product doesn't..........

After removal of any enhancement the nail will appear to be thinner and weaker, but only because you are removing the overlay and the extra strengthning layer, the acetone will have softened the nail, hence giving it the weak look. The enhancement will have made it look thicker in the first place, the nail underneath, should still be of the same consistency prior to the enhancement application.......... if it was weak before it will still be weak, if it was strong before it will still be strong afterwards..........

Regular manicures are advised, not because any product might have caused damage but, as this will give the nail flexibility which will keep the nail in tip top condition and will make it strong and healthy...after all something the client was lacking or their would not have chosen the enhancement route to a quick fab looking set of nails.....................

hope this helps

Hello
:)

After we have removed product we soak the nails in warm water with a little citrus soak (CND supplies) is this what everyone else does?
I was taught to do this in the hope that some of the remover will come out of the nails!
Any comments or tips would be very helpfull!

:confused:

Tracy Mclean said:
Hello
:)

After we have removed product we soak the nails in warm water with a little citrus soak (CND supplies) is this what everyone else does?
I was taught to do this in the hope that some of the remover will come out of the nails!
Any comments or tips would be very helpfull!

:confused:

I certainly would not soak the nails as they will absorb the water.

It would be preferrable to do a mini (or full) manicure on your client to put the moisture and nourishment back in.

It is better to limit the amount of times nails are in water. After soaking, I would apply solar oil and cuticle eraser - I also use a grapeseed oil based hand oil, then place hands in heated gloves for a few minutes, then carry out suitable manicure routine.

If there are any rough bits left on the nails then lightly buff smooth and apply Toughen Up and varnish of choice. If the client does not want varnish then just apply Toughen Up and a Shiny top coat. Finish with Solar Speed Spray to rehydrate and dry the varnish.

Hope this helps.

Hi Amber

The way i explain it to clients is by likening it to wearing a plaster, the skin looks slightly different afterwards, but soon returns to normal!

It doesn't make any difference how long the enhancements are on, there should be no damage to the natural nail, alot of people wear them constantly. As long as people take care of their nails, follow your aftercare advise, and making sure they apply their solar oil, there should be no problems.

best wishes
sue x :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back