Damaged hair from razor cut

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaylebutterfly37

Reaction score
On the 25th June I had a client come in with a Bob haircut who wanted a restyle and go shorter. I decided to remove the bulk with a razor to produce the choppiness and lightness she wanted, using scissors to go around the ears, fringe etc.
5 weeks later the client phoned to tell me that her hair was fine to begin with but her hair feels “woolly”. I find a space for her to come in that week to trim over her ends with scissors. She had never had a razor cut before so I assumed she just needed a trim and I had decided I would use the scissors to “blunt” the ends of her hair.
when the client walked into the salon I saw that she had bleached her hair at home (client had virgin grey hair) so I immediately thought she has done damage to her hair by bleaching. On closer inspection her hair was dry and tuggy - it was difficult to get a comb through the hair.
I trimmed through her hair and advised her to use deep conditioning treatments to get moisture back into her hair. She was pleasant when she was in the salon and chatted away happily with stories just like every other client.
3 weeks later a letter arrived to my boss from this client saying she had never had a haircut like it. She maintains that she has spent a fortune on products to fix her hair from the damage I had done to her hair! The client has damaged her hair from bleaching at home not from what I had done to her hair from the razor. When she had first come in I blow dried her hair easily after the haircut, the second visit (after she bleached it herself) I could barely get a comb through it.
i am totally devastated that she is blaming me for damaging her hair. I live in a small town where everyone knows each other so this is drastic for my reputation.
I don’t know where I stand in this situation legally. She hasn’t threatened legal action but I want to be armed with all the correct information should this be the case.
I’ve been hairdressing for 11 years and this has gutted me. Her hair is chemically damaged (I told her when she came in for the second appointment) but she is blaming me because I used the razor. She took on board what I advised and paid for her trim. In the letter she said she felt she shouldn’t have had to pay for the trim (bare in mind this is 5 weeks after the original haircut) and she handed me the money in disgust and left! The transaction was not like that, I told her the price and she handed me the money with thanks and told me to keep the £3 change as a tip!
can anyone advise where I stand and what I should do moving forward? thank you

If you’re employed, let your boss handle this.

(I’d probably offer to look at the hair, ask her what products she used and then very firmly explain that the home bleaching has seriously damaged it. She’s also going to get a solid demarcation line at the roots as it grows out so I’d probably offer some colour options such as a root stretch and it wouldn't be a discounted service!.)

Unfortunately, some people refuse to take responsibility for their own stupidity and will try to blame others for their shortcomings. In this instance, the client has bleached her hair without any understanding of how to lighten hair safely with minimal damage. You saw it was dry and and damaged and correctly advised her it needed moisturising treatments.

She was exceedingly cheeky to come back to the salon having clearly damaged her own hair and blaming your razor cut in order to blag a free trim.

You need to step back and accept that you’ve done nothing wrong and you’re definitely not the numpty in this scenario.

If you’re employed, let your boss handle this.

(I’d probably offer to look at the hair, ask her what products she used and then very firmly explain that the home bleaching has seriously damaged it. She’s also going to get a solid demarcation line at the roots as it grows out so I’d probably offer some colour options such as a root stretch and it wouldn't be a discounted service!.)

Unfortunately, some people refuse to take responsibility for their own stupidity and will try to blame others for their shortcomings. In this instance, the client has bleached her hair without any understanding of how to lighten hair safely with minimal damage. You saw it was dry and and damaged and correctly advised her it needed moisturising treatments.

She was exceedingly cheeky to come back to the salon having clearly damaged her own hair and blaming your razor cut in order to blag a free trim.

You need to step back and accept that you’ve done nothing wrong and you’re definitely not the numpty in this scenario.
Thank you for your reply, you’ve reassured me 😊. My boss is handling it but I wanted to to post on here for advise as to where I stand in proving that I didn’t damage her hair. It’s hard living in a small town where news spreads like wildfire so if this lady claims I damaged her hair so many people will hear about it and maybe believe it.

Latest posts

Back