Damaged nail, how to help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HMC

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'd like some advice on how to help a client with a split nail. Excuse the long message and not-so-great photo, it was the only angle/light in which we could see this split.

25ev61l.jpg

On her one nail (thumb) she has a split. We are quite sure she has damaged it right from the start of the nail, hence it's growing with a line/split (permanently?).
It just starts as a pink line, then further towards the free edge a white line, then the longer it gets (at the free edge) it splits (catches, pulls, annoys etc etc). We hoped the pink line would grow out, eventually being at least a pink line the whole way through with no split. . But not so far.
The last two years she had been getting acrylic on that one thumb at another salon. To seal it or cover it so it wouldn't catch on things. She got tired of this, researched, found IBX, found us.
She is trying to fix it permanently (if possible) to stop it from happening again, as opposed to acrylic or gel to just cover it forever.

Retailed her a good hand cream and cuticle oil to start with, explained to look after hands and nails (i.e. gloves when gardening, dishes, water etc - this she does already).

Since the 1st May, she has been coming weekly for the IBX nail treatment. Today she has had her 12th (?) appointment. Unfortunately we didn't take a before photo on the 1st of may, but we have a photo from today (BEFORE today's treatment).

The overall condition of all of her nails has improved, however we are focusing on the split. At first it looked as though it was improving, we kept the weekly treatments hoping to keep it up until it grew out. She understood it was a "see how we go" situation, and that it may take a while. Today she said she's disappointed that after 12 treatments, it doesn't look that much different. Its very frustrating for her. The nail is healthier, the split seems the same.
We have kept the nail quite short as to stop it catching.

I had also recommended her to try the ORLY Nailtrition as a nail polish to put over the top (instead of a cheap one she was using between treatments to 'seal' over the split). She tried it for a week. Her nails again seem healthier, but of course the split is the concern which it did not affect in one week (she is going to use it for another two weeks).

I have told her I will do a bit of research to see what else I can come up with.
Of course I see her again in a weeks time.

What else can I do or recommend?
Have you seen this before, how did you solve it?
If the split will be there permanently, what options does she have to 'live with it'?

(i.e. acrylic or gel - though she would rather not)

Our salon is above a pharmacy/chemist, so I am going to try to ask them too.

Thank you in advance, any help is much appreciated.

I've got this on 2 nails. One has repaired by growing out an acrylic overlay (touch wood it stays good now) and the other is not budging.
I overlay with gel polish and put a tiny piece of fibreglass overhanging the free edge them clip/file it smooth. With Gelish you can do this but not sure about other systems.

Thanks for your reply. :)

I thought that would be the case too. She had been having the acrylic for about two years over the nail.. and it never grew out - hence why I'm assuming (?) its permanent damage. So an option would be to fill in the split free edge with say acrylic/fibreglass (or over the whole nail?).. This would have to be re-done constantly as the line grows out then splits again?

I have heard of silk nail wraps, but would need to research some more info. Does anyone think this would help? I believe it's another type of artificial nail/extension, but perhaps it is thinner/more natural/cheaper/less hassle something a bit more appealing then acrylic (as client in question stopped the acrylic after being fed up with it).
Is there anything else I am missing? Other options etc.

Obviously I would prefer a lotion/potion (lol) to fix the line/damage/split before it actually has a chance to split. But that might be more of a Dr/pharmacy thing??

I am currently treating as trauma/damage, as opposed to fungal or any other nail condition - unless somebody has seen this and thinks other wise? :)

Thanks again

I've seen a lot pictures on here where IBX has really helped with this sort of problem. Are you making sure to get Repair right into the split, not blotting it too much and forcing it to come out before you cure it? I would think after 12 treatments it would be in a much better condition (not saying it's your fault-but just thinking of why it doesn't seem to be making much difference).
I had a client with the exact same problem long time ago. She was an older lady and that was before Shellac, so she only got normal manicures, but regularly. I just did a gel overlay on that finger, filling it once in a awhile. I did it over the whole nail, making sure to cap the edge really well. Then as it grew out I would just blend it in a bit, so we didn't fill it every time, only when it pretty much grew out completely, and the split opened up again. Then one day, couldn't tell you after how long, the nail just stopped splitting all together, and didn't happen again.

If you email Linda Nordstrom she'll be able to give you advise re using IBX in this nail.
I have a client with. Simular problem, which has now grown out using IBX - I just needed to make sure the IBX actually filled the gap :)

I've seen a lot pictures on here where IBX has really helped with this sort of problem. Are you making sure to get Repair right into the split, not blotting it too much and forcing it to come out before you cure it? I would think after 12 treatments it would be in a much better condition (not saying it's your fault-but just thinking of why it doesn't seem to be making much difference).
I had a client with the exact same problem long time ago. She was an older lady and that was before Shellac, so she only got normal manicures, but regularly. I just did a gel overlay on that finger, filling it once in a awhile. I did it over the whole nail, making sure to cap the edge really well. Then as it grew out I would just blend it in a bit, so we didn't fill it every time, only when it pretty much grew out completely, and the split opened up again. Then one day, couldn't tell you after how long, the nail just stopped splitting all together, and didn't happen again.

Thanks for your reply.

I have recommended to her before what you've said (about the overlays etc). But I think she is trying to fix the problem as to not have to have an overlay, hence we try IBX first. I did wonder if perhaps I have misread the instructions all this time.
Can I please confirm how you do the IBX treatment? I have watched the videos, but I am thinking that perhaps my light/heat is not enough. That it's not penetrating into the nail enough. I thought perhaps my timing was wrong (1min Repair, 3min IBX?)
I will look at the instructions again. Though if I have been doing it wrong the whole time, how do I explain that to my client without sounding like an idiot? :S

Thank you :)

If you email Linda Nordstrom she'll be able to give you advise re using IBX in this nail.
I have a client with. Simular problem, which has now grown out using IBX - I just needed to make sure the IBX actually filled the gap :)

Thank you! I am quite new to this forum, could you tell me where to find her email? I will check the IBX website also. :)

I have a nail just like the one your talking about, I shut it in car door at 3 years old, it damaged my matrix. The split never goes away, I gently buff the top to smooth it and just use shellac or a good base coat and polish.

I have the same too, also shut it in a car door - 17 years ago - and damaged the matrix. I also use l&p overlay to strengthen it if it's splitting.

Latest posts

Back