Damaged Nail Please Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neadypp

Reaction score
hi! im new to this site and i really need some help with a client.

wel the girl came into to me 2nite and asked could i do somthing with her nail she had banged it in a door i think. the top half of her natural nail (the half near the matrix) was gone leaving only a thin layer of nail, the bottom half of her nail is still in tact thought you can see were it was bleeding.

im not sure wat i should do if id be better leaving well alone ive never seen anything like it before. and ive told her to come back to me 2moz. if anybody has any advise please help. hope you can understand my description.
thanx.:rolleyes:

its hard to say anything without looking at it.. i would tell her the truth, that you've never seen anything like that before and you're not sure if you can work on it.

take a pic, post it here, and im sure everyone will do their best to help - chances are SOMEONES seem something like it! (if you search, there are a lot of threads with pics on some pretty bad traumas!!)

Hiya,

Without seeing it, it's always difficult to give the best advice, however.....

I had a client come in a few months back (new to me at that time) and she had had a severe paronychia in which the infection had damaged her natural nail and it seemed to be half missing, plus it wasn't growing out to pretty either. There was no bleeding or sore open areas left on her nail, so no means of entry of product, so I decided to apply her enhancements and on this nail, I sculpted in L&P back the missing part of the nail straight onto the hardened area of nail bed and did it with a custom blend.
The result was pleasing and she was happy.
Each time she comes in (2 weeks) I inspect the nail and there has never been any problems, not even lifting.
Her nail grew out with a split accross and the acrylic held everything in place and prevented further damage caused by her catching the damaged nail and pullling it off etc.

So, assuming there is no soreness, and everything has healed up and there are no points of entry for her to contract over eposure, then I would sculpt over it, but I'd be totally sure that the area was squeaky clean.
Don't touch the skin obviously & sculpt with your brush as much as poss so as not to have to do excess filing over the nail.

After all that, if you are a new tech you may find this a little daunting, and may not wish to do it, however, as you've asked.......

HTH xx

Poppits may work here too, but without looking at the nail it's hard to say.

hi! im new to this site and i really need some help with a client.

wel the girl came into to me 2nite and asked could i do somthing with her nail she had banged it in a door i think. the top half of her natural nail (the half near the matrix) was gone leaving only a thin layer of nail, the bottom half of her nail is still in tact though you can see were it was bleeding.

im not sure wat i should do if id be better leaving well alone ive never seen anything like it before. and ive told her to come back to me 2moz. if anybody has any advise please help. hope you can understand my description.
thanx.:rolleyes:

I would not touch this nail at this moment in time.

You asked for advice and that is mine.

I wouldn't try anything. I'm under the impression that there isn't much nail at all for anything to adhere to. So even if you tried I could see the acrylic (or gel) lift away and perhaps cause further damage to the remaining thin layer of nail. I think she should maybe get proper first aid treatment on it and wait untill her nail starts to grow back...if it does at all!
Once the nail starts to grow back almost half way, then you could try appliying something over it. But I wouldn't try to apply anything now!

hi sory i wasnt able to get on the comp for a wile ther. thanks all the replies! the client came in to me the next day an i decided to jus give her a manicure becuse ther was a slight hole in the nail plate, i avioded the damage and jus painted her tip. it was a lot less noticable in the end! thanx for helping thou! xx:green::green:

i would not touch it at all

tell her to come back when the damage is gone and the nail has grown back

whatever you do to it could make it worse!

i would not touch it at all

tell her to come back when the damage is gone and the nail has grown back

whatever you do to it could make it worse!

i didnt touch the nail i gave her other nine nails a manicure an jus painted the tip of her damaged one which was in good condition. the nail has already started to grow back an hopefully no permanent damage has been done. ive askd her to keep me updated on how it grows.

Latest posts

Back