Damaged Nails - Gel won't stick

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
I'm MAJORLY frustrated with two clients.. :irked:
Ok, not the clients, but their nails.

One works in an office, and bangs her hands about quite a bit. She does alright with the occasional chip here and there. EXCEPT she seems prone to keep breaking the nail of the same finger. NOW she's done it so many times.. the nail is a tad bit damaged, and the gel won't stick, so it lifts. Then she gets hair caught under it (doing her own, or her daughter's) and voila, it's yanked on, and pulls at the natural nail = more damage.... UGH
So, last night, I put gel-resine (aka dip) on that finger for now. I didn't see the point in putting gel on again as it just comes right up. Figuring I'll let the damage grow out.

Client number 2: has always been a serial lifter. she has oily skin/hair. she has a hot-tub/spa. She has thyroid problems and is on a host of meds for depression and her thyroid.
We had her lifting issues resolved.
THEN 2weeks back, she hit a 'bad patch' and picked off her nails:irked::grr:
She's a long-time friend (back in highschool) so I was quite comfortable giving her the height of s**t and letting her know what a BAD girl she had been.
ANYWAY, sculpted a new set.
Guess what? WITHIN 3 DAYS, lifted and 2 came clear off.. with no effort.
So, nothing's sticking to her.

WHAT DO I DO?
I've tried all that I know. Double checking my prep. I've even double-bonded them to make sure that they are bonded as possible (protein liquid bonder PLUS a gel bonder on top of that). Usually, that method takes care of everything whenever there's an issue and NEVER lifts, no matter what you do to it. But not this time.:cry:

I'm thinking of advising them to let the damage grow out,and let sleeping dogs lie and start again later. I don't want them to cause further damage to themselves, by repeatedly re-applying over damaged nails,and then the nail being hurt further when some of it lifts, something catches and then pulls on it some more.

Any ideas?
And don't say L&P.
I can't do it.

:cry:

I would do as you suggest.

If it's not sticking then it's not sticking ... you know what you are doing so why flog a dead horse?

It's not a even a good idea to adhere a product to these nails while they are in this state unless you try a wrap. Try on one or 2 nails and see how you go.

At the moment these nails are saying loud and clear to you ... we've had enough already!!

Thanks geeg!

I didn't take a wrap course, though:cry:

In my DEP cosmetology course, we did learn how to repair a natural nail with silk wrap and resin (for cracks). I do have some silk wrap, but I've never done a full nail.
Is it something I should attempt? For this 'one-off'?

Thanks very much for your help!

:hug:

PS: yup, I agree that the nails are talking too LOL I tried explaining this to my 'problematic' client who THEN picked them off (I could have KILLED HER, her hubby, also a long time friend watched me give her s**t and laughed and said to her "WHY don't you do as you're told?" lol)

Thanks geeg!

I didn't take a wrap course, though:cry:

In my DEP cosmetology course, we did learn how to repair a natural nail with silk wrap and resin (for cracks). I do have some silk wrap, but I've never done a full nail.
Is it something I should attempt? For this 'one-off'?

Thanks very much for your help!

:hug:

PS: yup, I agree that the nails are talking too LOL I tried explaining this to my 'problematic' client who THEN picked them off (I could have KILLED HER, her hubby, also a long time friend watched me give her s**t and laughed and said to her "WHY don't you do as you're told?" lol)

If you know how to do a repair of a natural nail using fibeglass or silk (same exact procedure different fabric) then you can do a wrap.

Wraps are lovely, look wonderfully natural and are easy peasy for anyone who can do other enhancment systems.

Do your normal prep

Layer of resin on the nail .. let dry

Add a tip for extra length if needed and blend or not depending.

Aply one or two layers of fabric. If using 2 then it is fabric + resin and activate, fabric + resin an activate.

Add two or three more layers of resin and activate between each layer.

Finish off in the normal way.

Give it a try and see how she copes.

THANKS SO VERY MUCH!!!

I will try this when I see her next week.

I hope it works.

She's determined to have nails, and doesn't want to let them 'go' for a while without.

I'll let you know how I get on

:hug::hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back