Dancing Geeks?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

salj

Reaction score
There's a running geeks thread and now I'm wondering if there's any dancers among us??

I do ballroom dancing (standard and latin) lessons - got my first comp later this year! Scary.

I also took up salsa lessons just before christmas and go 2 nights a week, 2 lessons each night. On tuesdays the lesson before salsa alternates weekly between Bachata and Kizomba - both of which I love!! Especially Bachata as that makes me feel like a proper booty shaker! hehe.

The only thing I don't love is how much my effin feet kill after a couple of hours on the dance floor!

I gave up dancing about 2 years ago but danced for 12 years started when i was 5.

I done highland, ballet, tap, jazz and singing classes and loved it!
Competed for years too with all of the above but you also had national, character, Greek and song and dance sections (i wasn't very confident with the competitions though lol)

I would love to go back to highland as it was a great way to keep fit and loved those competitions.

Vicki :) xx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Danced for 12 years up till health probs, 18 months ago....yes, I'm counting. I miss it so much.

My faves were tango and rumba....but loved jive too.

I admire the ballroomers; I was OK at foxtrot, knew quite a complicated routine and LOVED the music....but anything beyond a sraight and a spin turn in waltz was beyond me....and don't ask about my quickstep!

I have two left feet but the other half was an award winning BRD in his younger years:o

I do really love ballroom. We were doing tango last night, which is one of my favourite dances. My instructor is super positive and supportive and he teaches me little extra bits (the rest of the class I'm in for now are all absolute beginners and I'm just in beginners to refresh as I didn't dance for a few years).

My instructor was showing me how to fancy up a few steps with some leg flicks. So much fun!

I do really love ballroom. We were doing tango last night, which is one of my favourite dances. My instructor is super positive and supportive and he teaches me little extra bits (the rest of the class I'm in for now are all absolute beginners and I'm just in beginners to refresh as I didn't dance for a few years).

My instructor was showing me how to fancy up a few steps with some leg flicks. So much fun!

Do you do ballroom or Argentinian tango? I did Argentinian......the only dance where you progress round the room that I didn't get too confused with was Samba!

It's ballroom tango I do. But I'd LOVE to learn Argentine Tango, I think it's such a beautiful dance.

There is a class near me, but I already do 3 nights a week of classes, so I might have to wait till next year.

Edit: we're doing samba at the moment too. I love it!

Love this, I was a dancer learned ballet from a young age moved onto contemptry. I started to get into gymnastics and things as I got older too. Now I pole dance and aerial hoop!

Melly I pole dance too! Would lov to try aerial hoop but no classes nearby x

I jive....not set routines or anything but freestyle stuff....like the kind you see in old 50s rock n roll films. I taught myself when i was 11 and bored at my first weekender.... I used to be pretty good winning competitions on the 50s scene....when I used to get hurled into the air and thrown this way and that way! :)

Love it. Love that there's so many styles of dance.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Yes, I'm a dancing freak who just began Beauty therapy training:biggrin:. I began with ballroom and latin dance about 10 yrs ago, then moved to London about 7 yrs ago where I switched to salsa, Argentinian tango and lambada zouk. I also do cha cha cha, bachata and a little kizomaba. I'm in an amateur salsa dance group but we mix styles -usually salsa, cha cha cha, bachata, tango, lyrical jazz and hip hop. Dance is my hobby/passion. I took up Beauty to do something different for a change.

I am so jealous of everyone who can dance! I'd love to have your talent. Unfortunately I have no sense of co-ordination. I've tried everything. I even tried pole fitness once, but I was too weak to hold myself on the pole. I was the one at school who could never climb the ropes :D xxx

I love bachata! I do a class before my salsa class on tuesdays and it alternates weekly between bachata and kizomba. I love them both.

Haha Stacie, I could never climb the ropes either, so I don't think pole dancing would be for me! But you should try a salsa class, it's so much fun!

I do belly dancing, ballet and pole dancing, I love them all! Belly dancing's great as you get to wear sparkly costumes and it's a really nice friendly class. I've been doing ballet on and off since I was 6 (I'm 33), lovely music and makes you feel so stretched and calm. And pole dancing suits my energetic side. I'd love to do ballroom too (and every time Strictly comes round I feel the urge) but I really don't have the time with everything else!

Went the sweatiest dance class ever last night! It was hot yesterday and the doors in the room our class is in don't open.

We did Kizomba first which is proper up close anyway and my god it was hot in there. After the second hour (salsa) I was sooo freakin sweaty. haha.

It was ace though. We did some tango moves in Kizomba, it's a bit scary leaning on a bloke and letting them push you along the floor but when I finally stopped laughing I actually managed to do it.

I used to do loads of dancing - ballet, tap and modern, and loved it! Didn't realise how fit it kept me at the time either. Really miss it, would love to restart it but don't know if any adult classes even exist around me (middle of nowhere!) x

Latest posts

Back