Dangers of "Russian Manicure"

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Medeis Nails

Reaction score
Russian manicure cuticle trimming make me cringe and feel a little nauseous. I'm not overly keen on the final look either, it looks like the nail will pop off.

Quite apart from the damage being done by unqualified techs trying to replicate the look.

That picture gives me the creeps!

I wonder if anyone on here has any positive experience with these. When I was trained, this was forbidden. I cannot see any good coming of it.

My sister did this back in the 1950's. Revlon had these small super sharp scissors ideal for excising anything. Must have been the fashion then. Bloody, scabbed and healing most of the time.

We just shake our heads and wonder what the next idiotic fashion will be.

Last edited:
I absolutely love Russian mani and pedi , my clients love combi, I personally prefer full Russian . With good qualified tech it’s harmless. Once had it done on vocational in Moscow , and nail techs are top there , they actually on top with all beauty industry . Just need to make sure nail tech is qualified in that type of service

Even before I started my training as a nail tech I felt these were wrong, wrong, wrong!

After months of training, my opinion hasn't changed. The science is sound, and Washington State nail techs, at least the licensed ones with good ethics, can't do them!

The images make me cringe!

All right, everyone's got an opinion on everything, so my 5 cents.

Beauty and fashion standards change across time, but there will always be people who love some particular style. You may hate it or love it, but a professional Russian manicure looks very nice, with nails rarely "about to fall off" as well as no damage to the client's cuticles (to be fair, this technique is riskier and depending on safety standards and attitude may not be liked by everyone at first sight!). I can share a link to an Instagram profile with many nice examples so that all haters and lovers could make their judgement. You can PM me if you wish.

I actually read the article you posted, thanks. I do not use this technique, and have watched some YouTube videos and been kind of scared to see how they use an e-file.

Whilst the aesthetic of this method is unimportant to myself, it is something that clients ask for repeatedly, even after educating them that it is a risk I am unwilling to take due to inexperience and lack of training in this type of dry manicure.
I will continue to read up on it from trusted sources and remain open minded, but my decision will be based on the health of a client foremost.

Latest posts

Back