Dangers of spray tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyalababy

Reaction score
Cant believe what I have just read in the news.. Apparantley the DHA in spray tanning solutions has been proven to have the ability to cause cancer when inhaled.
Quite scary really when something was believed to be safe. I do spray tanning every day of my life but am now considering wearing a mask and also offering my clients a mask while I spray their body. Click the link below to read article.

Spray Tans may not be a safe alternative | The Legal Examiner Charleston

Thanks I'll have a read x

Hi kyalababy,

The article referred to above does explain in some detail this issue.

The piece you refer to is a rehash of the Good Morning America piece from last month. I am afraid this whole issue is getting out of hand.

To try and put things in perspective DHA-based sunless tanning has been recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation, the American Academy of Dermatology, the Canadian Dermatology Association, the American Cancer Society and the American Medical Association.

Our company is a BioTech spin off and we are a science based business with our own purpose built labs and perhaps more importantly the scientists to staff them.

If you or anyone else, customer or not require clarification re an ingredient in you tanning solution please PM me and we will endeavour to supply you with its' current safety status.

Cant believe what I have just read in the news.. Apparantley the DHA in spray tanning solutions has been proven to have the ability to cause cancer when inhaled.
Quite scary really when something was believed to be safe. I do spray tanning every day of my life but am now considering wearing a mask and also offering my clients a mask while I spray their body. Click the link below to read article.

Dont forget that this is just a hype of the media as usual!
If we went by anything that is supposed to be dangerous we couldnt eat any toasted bread or grilled meat, drink wine, go for a beach walk or anything else we enjoy and likewise anyone can get cancer without ever having been in contact with DHA!!

Have a read of the threads mentioned and it will put your mind at ease!

I think the main thing being refered to in these write ups is automated spray tan booths and hot the HVLP hand held systems we use here in the UK

getting your client to wear a mask during the spraytan application really doesnt work for obviouse reasons

It is essential that adequate air filtration provisions are in place by way of an extract module

Inhaling dha causes cells to mutate no matter which spray method u use. Auto or manual it's still not designed to be inhaled. Iv been spray tanning 10 years so iv probably inhaled litres by now but hey ho, if it's not spray tan killing me its my sunbeds.

Inhaling dha causes cells to mutate no matter which spray method u use. Auto or manual it's still not designed to be inhaled. Iv been spray tanning 10 years so iv probably inhaled litres by now but hey ho, if it's not spray tan killing me its my sunbeds.

indeed but there are far less airborne particles with application using a HVLP system as aposed to that of a confined enviroment with an automated booth :hug:

indeed but there are far less airborne particles with application using a HVLP system as aposed to that of a confined enviroment with an automated booth :hug:

Colin would you recomend therapist to use mask and ear plugs, and client to have mask,until you spray the face? i have bought, masks, nose filters, ear plugs,etc... but dont want to scare them silly lol.:eek: (thought you were off surfing??);)

Colin would you recomend therapist to use mask and ear plugs, and client to have mask,until you spray the face? i have bought, masks, nose filters, ear plugs,etc... but dont want to scare them silly lol.:eek: (thought you were off surfing??);)

mmm potentially a how long is a peice fo string type question there
Its dependent on many factors
if you are using a HVPL method of application,relatively low volume of clients,good air purification system etc etc
If you look at the hose plug issue....well plug the nose and they/you simply breath in through the mouth although it does help with that horrible brown snotty nose :eek:

Sensibility needs to prevale...as you say by going to far the client could be scared off.....likewise we are not fish so we need to breath in clean dry air into our lungs
Be sensibe ...provide as safe a working inviroment for both you and your customer as is practically possible ...also important to check with the requirements your insurers have on this issue :hug:
HTH :hug:

Does anyone know legall requirements for ventilation in a spray booth I currently have a large extractor fan through the ceiling with ducting leading to an outside filter. My beautician has mentioned it is becoming illegal to have this n I need a mobile extractor fan ? Can anyone shed any light & who can I contact for real life facts & legally requirements to meet health & safety standards
Thanks lizzy

Does anyone know legall requirements for ventilation in a spray booth I currently have a large extractor fan through the ceiling with ducting leading to an outside filter. My beautician has mentioned it is becoming illegal to have this n I need a mobile extractor fan ? Can anyone shed any light & who can I contact for real life facts & legally requirements to meet health & safety standards
Thanks lizzy

How would a mobile extract fan work....where would it be placed ?

I would have thought that the system you currently have in place would be more effective than a mobile unit in extracting airborn particles ?

Latest posts

Back