Dare I even say this..but here goes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feevis

Reaction score
I have just completed my acrylic overlay and maintenance course with essential nails, but dare I even say that I still need more acrylic application training lol. I read a more than a few forum posts whereby many people have strong opinions on essential nail training so all im asking is for civil replies please and preferably no insulting comments. Just to make clear, when I started with essential nails I was fully aware that it is an introduction into further learning and a lot more research, reading and training etc would be required. Initial 2-5 day courses for me as a beginner would not have been a suitable method for me to begin with.

anyway too the point.... my acrylic application/ratio/everything is poor! theory, tipping, blending etc spot on.

Ideally I am looking for 1-2-1 training only on L+P ratio and application so that I can be told my errors. Any suggestions on this? currently saving for a classroom based course as intended anyway but in the meantime need someone to help me. Was even looking for a professional nearby whom I could pay to sit with me and show me, doesn't have to have a certificate at the end coz im heading off for further training anyway, but just someone who knows what they are doing that can show me the correct techniques in order for me to practice this before my next training course as id rather do a conversion course.

Also I have ILA funding available which I would like to put to good use, so far I can only see Nailzone courses as accepting this. The training I have looked to go with for next steps is:

Young Nails
School of Beauty (NSI training)
CND
Nailzone
College( need to wait to next year to apply though, courses full)

On top of these I am still learning with Essential Nails as i can throughly learn the ins and outs at a suitable pace and then further onto more practical help. It's a lot of money but for me it is beneficial.

I know there is lots of forums on this covering these topics but id like anyones opinions on their training if they have experienced any of the above. Not asking which one is the best but just looking for feedback on how they feel the training went with any of the above establishments. This is a long post so well done if you have managed to read to the end without wanting to kill yourself lol :D:lick:

I should add as well that i know what needs to be done, but im obviously doing something wrong, as im filing lots to get a decent final effect... NOT good. I have watched tutorials from NSI and Young Nails as well as my EN dvd's and so far Im favouring Young Nails, but even with these fabs tutorials im not there yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should add as well that i know what needs to be done, but im obviously doing something wrong, as im filing lots to get a decent final effect... NOT good. I have watched tutorials from NSI and Young Nails as well as my EN dvd's and so far Im favouring Young Nails, but even with these fabs tutorials im not there yet.

Practice makes perfect hun. We all go thru this stage of exploring our enhancement skill. Just absorb every bit of certified information you can get and USE IT. Watch videos from reputable places (CND has many on YouTube that are fab, as well as FingerNailFixer & Gigi) Read the tutorials on this site (FingerNailFixer and Geeg are amazing!) and search for any questions you may have because 9 x's out of 10, it's already been asked and answered by the best in the business.

Continue your dedication to continuing education. There are always new products and techiniques made to help the professional create amazing enhancements and it's best to learn from the horse's mouth, as they say.

But as I said before, Practice is the key. Take the information you can find and practice practice practice. Start out by practicing on a fake hand or nail tip. Then grab you a buddy and practice on them until you get the feel of the brush/product/and technique. EVEN PRACTICE ON YOURSELF! That'll be the best because you can see what happens after you apply and will be able to keep track on what you did with your nails.

It takes time, love. In school they always told us that it takes 100 full sets before you master the technique. Not sure how accurate that is, but it seems pretty close. LOL Good luck doll!

I know there is lots of forums on this covering these topics but id like anyones opinions on their training if they have experienced any of the above. Not asking which one is the best but just looking for feedback on how they feel the training went with any of the above establishments. This is a long post so well done if you have managed to read to the end without wanting to kill yourself lol :D:lick:

I did substandard (didnt know it at the time) training to receive my certificate.. went straight out into the world.. and suffered:o filling filling filling.. getting it wrong.. wanting to give up.. filling filling filling:o

Now many years later I can say the BEST thing I ever did was a short course that was product based.. (I chose CND) and then many 1-2-1's with as many great techs as I could muster.. and one particular lady who has always been my own special educator.. :D .. as the above poster said.. take your time, learn as much as you can.. trial a few different products and .. take some pressure off yourself.. dont run before you walk... practise your brush techniques.. your ratios and placements.. be prepared to fail, and celebrate your wins.. I cannot recommend enough the need for a more personal training method, and a product that is great.. makes all the difference in the world..

Hey, I did a home study course to start and needed some extra training to iron out the niggles too. There's a great video on Nail Angel website about product ratio if that helps. Also when was the last time you had a great set of nails applied? Why not see if any local techs would be prepared to let you watch them apply some acrylics to your nails and see if you can pick up any differences in what they do compared to what you do? That's my plan today ;)

I think you are approaching it the right way by trying to iron out the issues you're struggling with.
With regards to your ILA the Scottish Beauty School do accept ILA but in terms of the nail courses it still leaves a fair amount to pay.
I did my training in the evenings at college, the enrollment for the evening classes is usually mid August so it's not too late. Having said that, I left my college course feeling much like you do now!
Have you been in touch with Fingertips, the Scottish CND distributors and educators, I would give them a call and see if they can advise you. I have furthered my training with them, and whilst I still have a way to go as I'm realistically not getting enough practice in, there education is second to none in my experience.
Good luck x

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

I also studies with EN and was lucky that I managed to get my head around things pretty quickly - watching other techs do my nails was actually a great help for me as I learned that not every tech used the same brush angle, the same amount of beads etc I think that is very important for a new tech to get to grips with. Home learn leaves you little visual information like seeing a class full of girls, each bringing their own twist to the correct technique.

I am sure that with time, patience and support you will get to grips with your ratio. I used to sit with various coloured acrylics that I had in my kit and several pots of monomer and practice the varying bead ratio for each one along with different ways of loading the brush ( i generally favour Geeg's method in the tutorials here or in her amazing book ) for pink, white and clear but I use Greg's method off the young nail's videos for colour as I feel it gives me slightly more control when doing art :D xx

Thanks for the replies. I do google all my problems i come across and I must say i favour the Young Nails tutorials so far as they really break it down and greg who teaches on it really knows his stuff.

I applied for my local college this year but the NQ nail care was full and the NQ artifical extensions they did phone to offer me in a place on this course but they could not allow me in without having completed manicure/pedicure first. I did say that I had that course and could work on it straight away and have it finished before the course started in september but she said the course was too popular and to offer me a place I would need to have the certificate to bring in. so with that in mind they then told me to apply for the NQ nail care (mani/pedi) upon which I stated that I did and the course was full. I was the first person to apply for both of them as I was eagerly awaiting the courses and the min they went on the website I applied to both and was application 001 for each of the coures, Yet the course was full.

I do continually spend a lot of time practicing on myself, my mum, my friends and the nail trainer but just not getting it right, i spend hours practicing, but at the same time whatever Im doing wrong just now, im continuing to do wrong as i practice if that make sense, but the point at which Im going wrong I have no idea lol. In my head i know exactly what I need to do and how it should look but putting it in practice it all goes wrong. In desperate need of 1-2-1 or another acrylic course. Was contemplating a foundation course but it means having to go over the theory etc but i guess needs must. Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Upon further research and speaking to a lot of the girls from essential nails most of them have said they had the same problems with acrylics until they changed the products they were using.

Now im not one to blame the tools i use, however, i have decided until i save for my next course tht im going to try a few trial kits from various brands to firstly find a system i enjoy working with, im hoping tht this will in effect help produce better quality nails. Starting with the NSI attraction system trial pack to see how i get on with that. So just thought i would follow up to all the replies :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back