Dark chocolate colour advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sissy

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm not an hairdresser, but I'm here looking for some help and opinions. :)

I did highlights for a couple of years and then I moved to another town and decided to go to a new - very highly recommended and very expensive - hairdresser and ask her to dye all my hair a little more lighter then my natural color (which is like a 5 or a 6, very light brown) I was thinking something like a 6 or 7 with gold tones because I was tired of highlighted hair. Well, I ended up with a very orange 4 tone and cried for over a week, they only said that if they did what I asked for, I would have to go to the hairdresser every month! ????? Why is that even her problem???

Well, since that, I thought that to make such a huge mistake I could do it myself at home without paying that much.

I dyed my hair at home with Koleston Perfect 7,73 and looked awesome, that was what I wanted. I used that color for a while and them I decided to try darker tones and stay that way for a while, I used Schwarzkopf Essensity 4,45 and I manage not to dye my hair for a whole year.

I began dyeing my hair again with Schwarzkopf Vibrance 4,65 (with 4% Developer Lotion) because I wanted a dark chocolate color with gold tones, the hair looked beautiful. I used the same color again after a month and here is the problem, the gold tones turned to red ones, and although it looked great, I don't like red tones, I never had them. In artificial light the nuances look gold, but in sun light they look red. I was really looking for a dark chocolate tone with subtle gold nuances, like the pictures, I don't care about Khloé, but the hair color is really beautiful. How do I get that color?

So here is what I think my options are:

Use Vibrance 5-5. Will it make the tone gold again or will it make the tone orange?
Use Vibrance 5-4. Will it leave my hair with pinkish nuances?
Use Vibrance 5-63. Will it just kill the red tones and leave the hair kind of dull?
Use Vibrance 5-65. Will it have the same amount of red pigment as the 4,65?
Use Vibrance 6-55. With 4% will the roots lift?

I also thought about mixing 5-65 and 6-55, is that something that is done, mixing colors when it's possible?

Someone told me that Schwarzkopf uses a lot of red pigment in all of the colors, is that true? What About Wella? I was thinking of something like, 5-73 or 5-37.

Now some dumb questions that I have, but for which I don't know the answers:

The color lasts longer using 4% Developer Lotion then 1,9%? Or does it lasts the same whatever the peroxide strength is?
Dyeing the hair every month or so with tone-to-tone, will the peroxide on the mixture gradually remove more natural hair pigment with every application (over already dyed hair)?

Thank you very much for all the help you can give me :)

Khloe-and-Lamar-Fragrance-Launch-Khloe-Kardashian_prphotos.jpg

khloe_kardashian_mstamas_031110_106496016_640x380.jpg

khloe-kardashian-hair.jpg

Khloe-Kardashian.jpg

Last edited:
I am amazed!! How come you know so much about hair and colour?:)

I am amazed!! How come you know so much about hair and colour?:)

I'm sorry, but I don't understand, are you being ironic? :confused: I research a lot but I just know the basic stuff, and not that well... Do you know the answers for some of the questions?

I'm sorry, but I don't understand, are you being ironic? :confused: I research a lot but I just know the basic stuff, and not that well... Do you know the answers for some of the questions?

Sorry, but as your not a professional, we can not advise you on correct colouring formulations. I suggest you head down and see a trained stylist that will be able to sort this out for you. I wouldnt attempt to do this at home as you might end up with a wishy washy mud colour.

Sorry, but as your not a professional, we can not advise you on correct colouring formulations. I suggest you head down and see a trained stylist that will be able to sort this out for you. I wouldnt attempt to do this at home as you might end up with a wishy washy mud colour.

I :) Thank you, I did that the first time and it didn't end up well :S I'm a beauty therapist, I wanted to become a hairdresser too but then I was laid off because of the big crisis here in Portugal and couldn't take the course, I was here just looking for some advices... Going back to a salon, paying a lot of money that I don't really have right now and not knowing if what I want will be taken in consideration, kind of sets me off. I know I can do it at home if I stick to what I know, I really just wanted some professional opinions, but that's okay, I understand your position, even if we are not in the same country :) Also, I have a very long hair, and I don't cut it at home, but even when I ask to cut just 1 inch, don't matter what hairdresser I go to, they always cut what they want. :sad:

About the mud colour, I guess you may be right if I use Vibrance 5-63, but I think that I can't go that wrong with 5-5 or 5-65 or Colour Touch 5-73 or 5-37, or even a mix between Vibrance 5-65 and 5-5 or 6-55...

Can someone at least answer me this 2 silly questions?

• The color lasts longer using 4% Developer Lotion then 1,9%? Or does it lasts the same whatever the peroxide strength is?
  • Dyeing the hair every month or so with tone-to-tone, will the peroxide on the mixture gradually remove more natural hair pigment with every application (over already dyed hair)?
Even if no one answers, thanks anyway. :wink2:

Last edited:
Hats off to you, your getting to grips with it well. But as the others said, we're really not allowed to give you advice about pro products.
Do you have a local college that do hairdressing? Could you go there and get your colour done? Knowing a fair bit already you could work alongside someone to do your hair professionally.
You pay less, you may learn more, they get models, everyone is happy
xxxx

Latest posts

Back