Dark nail colours

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chameleon

Reaction score
Would you geeks agree that older clients would benefit from wearing darker colours as opposed to lighter colours?

I ask this,as yesterday i had a client with absolutely dreadful skin on her hands(years of sun worshiping!),and i advised a nice dark colour,as i thought this would detract the eye from the skin and on to the nails....but she wanted a lighter pink colour....after all you got to give the client what they want....:)....but i still thought a darker colour would have been better!

Her nails were fairly short,and the light colour just looked transparent and bleneded with her aged hands....not her fault,she had a little jolt in the right direction and purchased some intensive hand cream aswell:lol:

Would you say dark colours or lighter colours?

I think it does depend on skin tone a lot, but on the whole I would say probably a mid-tone. Some dark colours seem to emphasise things like age-spots, especially if they are brown toned. I know what you mean about a light polish on sun damaged hands though, not a good look! Some people can carry of the darker colours better than others.

I've just read through my post and I think I've been no help at all lol!

IMO i have always thought that dark colours on the more mature hand does tend to give a dirty look to the hand. I agree with blossom that it should be mid tone. Also a little sparkle helps with the more lighter colours, but i would only use a light colour with slight sparkle. This is my opinion and i could change my mind next week cos im a woman and its my job :D.

I think it does depend on skin tone a lot, but on the whole I would say probably a mid-tone. Some dark colours seem to emphasise things like age-spots, especially if they are brown toned. I know what you mean about a light polish on sun damaged hands though, not a good look! Some people can carry of the darker colours better than others.

I've just read through my post and I think I've been no help at all lol!
LOL:lol:...thats fine,the thing is i AM a fan of darker colours,i wear nail noir from CND,very dark i know,but yes thats a good point regarding age spots on the hands:)

I think i will invest in some lighter colours though,its just most of my clientele are 40 plus,and they always go for a lighter shade,and i am trying to be more adventourous and give somr more inspiration!:green:

With these kind of clients I often get the response 'id rather not draw any more attention to my hands than i need to'. I agree on skin tone colour. I think it differs for each individual. I often feel the peachy/beige toned polishes which are slightly metallic do not a lot for older hands, it just washes them out.

40 plus :eek: Jeepers I didn't realise these were the oldies you were talking about, I'm one of them myself lol :lol:

Like you, beautyguru, half my clientele are "mature". A lot of them tend to go for mid but fairly bright pinks. There is also the tendency to have the same colour EVERY time, anyone else find that? Sometimes it's because they have a matching lipstick that they always wear.

I'm just wondering what you see as 'older' as you say 40+. I'm not there until next year but I do wear some pale shades like when I met Geeg last week but usually favour very dark colours. It never occurred to me that there might be colours more suitable to certain ages before. Its interesting though and something maybe I need to think about as I build up my collection for future clients.

i did not mean to offend anyone,by saying 40 plus is old:eek:...hell i am there in a couple of years myself!

I just wish some clients did not mean to get stuck in the same colour like you say Blossom,it is coaxing them that is difficult!

After watching trinny and susannah last night..
this thread is interesting

Do you think "older" clients go more for lighter colours so as not to attract attention to themselves ?
I know a lot of younger clients (and myself) sometimes go for blacks..dark browns ect..to attract attention...
So more mature ladies may see dark shades as a "youngsters" thing ..
There is no reason for this...its just impression

Do you have any way of promoting darker shades on more mature hands ?
Photo's ect...

This way if you think a certain client will benifit from a darker shade..you can show them without them trying to visualise it in their heads,

I have had a few people in the past think black is totally "Goth" untill I have said oooo noo it can actually look really ..classy...elegant...sexy..
whatever the look is I think they are after...whip out some pics to show them...and they are sold lol...

I dont have any clients over the age of about 46 even then only a few ..
But I will follow this thread to see what experiences people have had
thankyou xxxx

40 plus oldies:eek:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll deal with you tomorrow:green::green::green:

i tend to go with what the clients like, if they like pale , then thats what they get,

but,, i have to say i dont like pale colurs that have a lot of opalescent( sp?) in them for mature ladies,

as i think it accentuates ridges etc,, i prefer a cream polish ( not in colour as in cream, not mettalic etc ) for mature ladies

40 plus oldies:eek:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I'll deal with you tomorrow:green::green::green:
I will just ply you with LOTS if creme de cassis while i paint your nails for you...LMAO:lol:

I had a client today actually, late 40's who went for a dark plum. It looked lovely. I do bring a few of them round after explaining the effect colours can have with skin tone etc. But i do have those few stuck with the same colour everytime.

I agree with the cream polish, i have one thats a creamy sort of dusky pink that goes down so well with that age group. Im sure its OPI Yacatan if you want.

Gabrielle, 40 is young!!!

My eldest manicure client is 87!

But I take your point because I would love her to try a nice deep or even medium, cream colour but no, she always insists on pale and shimmery and I think it looks rubbish!

I actually think that when a client has a professional manicure, cream polishes whatever the shade, are best. They are more glossy and glamorous. Pearlised polishes are more for DIY, as they don't show up mistakes so clearly...

Latest posts

Back