Data Collection Services - Scam?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MINKUS

Gel Junkie
Reaction score
Hi All

I wonder if someone could offer me some help.

Today I received an official looking letter from Data Collection Services (Enforcement Section) headed 'Notice to new Business.'

It is a form that I have to fill out re the data protection act Failure to register is a criminal offence and a maximum fine of £5000.

The content of the form is really that the data protection act 1998 requires every business processing personal data (customer details etc)to register...at a cost £95.

Anyone heard of this? There is no telephone contact number on the form?

Thanks Ambx
icon_redface.gif

There was a thread on this a while back do a search and have a read, it is a scam!!! J xx

Oh thanks buddy, I thought it was but it did scaremonger me a bit!

Phew.

Ambx

Hi

if anyone else has this pop through their letter box make Mersyside Police on 0151 709 6010 aware of it.

I have done and you get a log number/reference number.

They new ALL ABOUT IT!!!!!!

Can't believe it - SCAMMERS!!!!

If I hadn't had acess to this website - i probably would have paid that!

THANKS Jo Jo!

MINKUS said:
Hi

if anyone else has this pop through their letter box make Mersyside Police on 0151 709 6010 aware of it.

I have done and you get a log number/reference number.

They new ALL ABOUT IT!!!!!!

Can't believe it - SCAMMERS!!!!

If I hadn't had acess to this website - i probably would have paid that!

THANKS Jo Jo!

No problem! I hate things like this, how do these people live with themselves??!

J xx

have you just registered with yell.com by any chance? I rekon this is where they get their info from...i was very nearly taken in by this but found the thread just in time!

Yeah pepes be careful when taking out the free Yellow Pages listing!! Make sure you tell them you do not wish your details to go to ANY marketing companies or you will have your details sent to every charity, sales department etc.. in the country! On one day alone I got 13 sales calls!!! They don't ask you if you mind your info being passed on so make sure you tell em! J xx

I started a thread on this a while back. Search "Fraudsters" and you'll find it. It is scandalous!!!!!!!

I received one of these letters today I looked up the old thread because I remember reading about it before so I replied to it, its on here today as I thought I would remind people about it.

i have had a few of these letters also, but while searching for information on licenses required to open up my new salon, it does state that you have to resister as a data user with the information commissioner, which I believe you do through the local council.

Hey Guys,

I have just recieved one of these forms this morning and had a massive panic that I have been doing something wrong. I was about to post about it on here to see if any of you have had this. So glad I come on here otherwise I would have probably paid it!

Thanks guys

Carole

Hi all,

I had quite a few conversations with a lovely policeman (!) at mersyside police yesterday so helpful.

Yes you could register for the data you collect its £35 ring you local council - not the £95 that the scammers want!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Minkus,

Do you know if we are legally required to register with the local council for this?

I still can't believe that people can get away with these type of cons. It makes me sick!

xxx

i emailed the official data protection peeps with a big long list of questions and basically, providing you don't keep computerised records you don't need to register with them. Manual records are fine but needless to say you can't hand the information on them to anyone else without the client's permission.
hth

The Data Protection Agency have a website which specifically covers fraud. All their documentation come with a telephone and it costs £35 (I think, I'll have to check on our cashbook). I

Their site is http://www.informationcommissioner.gov.uk/

Hope this helps

Cathy

hi all

Ive just received one today - good job i remember a posting on this, as previously said it does look professional and i would have checked with my accountant tomorrow, otherwise paid it, being worried that im not doing something i should be !

I have had quite a few calls / letters recently and one of the callers said that they are sent new business enquiry lists from Thompson Local ??? Do you think this and possibly the Yellow Pages is where they are getting our information from ??

its really worrying especially as they address it to my business name etc

Nice of them to enclose a return envelope eh ! you'd think they'd have made enough money by now from those less fortunate than ourselves to have pre-paid the postage !

Thanks for the heads up on this guys

kx

Latest posts

Back