Daughter’s curly hair

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eturnery

Reaction score
Please can anyone offer me some advice/help/tips on dealing with curly hair
my daughter is 11 and has very long curly hair which is stunning but also knotty/frizzy - she is just starting to become more aware of how she looks and hates her hair in the morning as its flat and frizzy.
can you help with advice on products or trick to help revive hair in a morning - we currently just spray with water but its very frizzy.
any suggestions would be gratefully received 🙏 xxxx

my daughter is 11 and has very long curly hair which is stunning but also knotty/frizzy - she is just starting to become more aware of how she looks and hates her hair in the morning as its flat and frizzy.
can you help with advice on products or trick to help revive hair in a morning - we currently just spray with water but its very frizzy.
What do you/she wash her hair in and do you currently use any product on her hair?

We use tigi moisture shampoo and conditioner- products maybe some leave in conditioner or frizz serum

Take a look at cantu curl activator. My hair is naturally curly and frizzy. Until I found this product. You don't need a lot of it. Also using a microfiber towel to dry her hair with will help.
Another great thing to try is a silk pillow case.

She could put her hair up in a high doubled over pony tail (pineapple) to sleep in. That helps but make sure she uses an invisibobble as they don't leave marks on the hair. She could also use a leave in conditioner. Amazon have some reasonably priced silk pillowcases too. There are loads of Utube videos on hair care for curly hair.

Hi try looking into cleansing conditioners as they are perfect for naturally curly hair. They replace shampoo. A great brand is Grow Gorgeous. Also a turban is perfect after washing Never rub with a towel. And of course regular trims.

There are so many products in the market I could spend a fortune trying everything out!
it’s good to use the curl grade to get a guide - see pic - as some brands will recommend which grade curl they’re for which will narrow your choices down a bit.

Starting with shampoo/ conditioner
Teenagers do tend to get greasy roots so you need something cleansing that is not too drying - I use and love L’Oréal professional serie expert curl range and find its great for that reason - I’m a 2b curl
Aveda is good, Tigi ok but found it heavy long term, wella professional also good.
there’s so many on the market and hopefully others will post their recommendations
As for fighting frizz/styling - a Hair mask or conditioner applied onto towel dried hair and left to dry in is a good way to fight frizz. It’ll not look greasy or heavy like you’d imagine. I use L’Oréal revive dream lengths- sometimes add a bit of gloss serum and a squirt of mousse (Bumble and bumble mousse is great but a little expensive not drying though and last for ages ) mixed to a paste and drag through curls with fingers. (Don’t comb or brush curls after washing either)
Take large sections of hair and twist around your finger forming a coil so your pushing hair into curl probably 10 in total and air dry or diffuse dry really really softly.

air drying hair takes a while so you can always top knot it or plait it instead- use big sections and loose plait for a wavy rather than tight curl effect ( the larger the sections the looser the wave it’ll dry in)
There’s a few new air dry hair creams on the market that I haven’t tried yet - has anyone got any faves?
Beach style sprays tend to have salt/alcohol so are little bit drying to use long term but ok for a quick revive.
Mousse has an 80’s big hair reputation but it is still a good go to as long as you don’t go too cheap - some of the really cheap ones are awful - a good quality one gives great results but again depends on your curl grade.
also try aloe Vera gel is really good to soften curls.

E8299C6B-B554-4BD4-A650-DCFFDB903460.jpeg

I have 3c curls, use SLS free shampoo once a week, comb in the shower with cheap conditioner, then deep condition. I use leave in conditioner every day and spritz with water and sometimes a little alcohol free hair gel. It's a parlava but the only way to stop dry, frizzy, knotty hair. I also pop it in a high bun at night as it tangles in my sleep. I have tried loads of products over the years but none really stand out. Brands I currently use are Keracare, African Organics and Cantu

My daughter's hair was just like this when she was that age. It was waist long and beautiful and there was lots of it! But when we washed it, even using good conditioners, it would take me 90 minutes or more to comb the snarls out. We would do it while watching TV so she didn't get impatient. Had to take small sections, starting at the ends and moving up. If we didn't do it before it was dry, it just wasn't going to happen. I would often French braid it so it looked nice and kept the snarls out. But she liked wearing it loose too. I tried every product on the market. Professional and other. Spent a fortune and had a cabinet full. I finally found "Revlon Creme of Nature" shampoo. It's in the ethnic section of just about any store. This was a miracle! Cut my comb out time to 15 minutes! With no other product! We found that it would make her hair a little greasy at the scalp area after 1 day so I started washing the scalp with a different shampoo and use the Creme of Nature at about 4 inches away from the scalp. My daughter is 30 now but whenever I see a little girl with long wavy hair, I complement her and ask the mom if she has a hard time combing it. Then tell her about this product. 😉 Pictures are her at 10 and at 23. And my adorable son who is now 27 and handsome as he was cute! 💕

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210501-110332_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210501-110332_Chrome.jpg
    409.9 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20210415-170735_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210415-170735_Chrome.jpg
    445.3 KB · Views: 31
I have 3c curls, use SLS free shampoo once a week, comb in the shower with cheap conditioner, then deep condition. I use leave in conditioner every day and spritz with water and sometimes a little alcohol free hair gel. It's a parlava but the only way to stop dry, frizzy, knotty hair. I also pop it in a high bun at night as it tangles in my sleep. I have tried loads of products over the years but none really stand out. Brands I currently use are Keracare, African Organics and Cantu
I used to stock keracare - it’s a great range
Their detangling conditioner was amazing - don’t know if they still do it but it was great for combing out tangled hair fast! Best detangler I’ve ever come across.

Get yourself a Denman bristle brush and detangle when the conditioner is on the head under a showerhead. Soooo much easier. Then use the LOC method leave in conditioner, oil and then cream. This will help define the curls. I have corkscrew curls and find this works the best and everything else that everyone else has said. Plopping/pineappleing the hair at night, micro fibre towel or just let air dry. The less you Touch the hair after putting in the products the better and use paraben, sulphate etc products. Like cantu, olive oil orc, Cream of nature, Asiam etc.

Get yourself a Denman bristle brush and detangle when the conditioner is on the head under a showerhead. Soooo much easier. Then use the LOC method leave in conditioner, oil and then cream. This will help define the curls. I have corkscrew curls and find this works the best and everything else that everyone else has said. Plopping/pineappleing the hair at night, micro fibre towel or just let air dry. The less you Touch the hair after putting in the products the better and use paraben, sulphate etc products. Like cantu, olive oil orc, Cream of nature, Asiam etc.
Don't you mean DON'T use parabens, sulphates etc??
A curl range that's quite good and not too expensive is the Noughty range.

🙈yes don’t use parabens, sulphates etc. Whoops, sorry for any confusion caused

I’ve just bought my son Cantu coconut curling cream and it’s amazing! His hair is quite tight curls but thick and quite course, a little bit on wet or dry hair and it separates his curls beautifully. So cheap too! Would highly recommend.

I have been learning all about curly hair with my daughters tight curls! Thought I would just share what works for her after trial and error. Morning routing consists of spraying her bed head hair with water, and finger combing curling primer by Noughty, it’s amazing! I sometimes add a bit of Cantu detangler for kids. I then go in with a gel which casts a sort of shell around her waves, I only use a bit and finger rake that through. ( Soul sista amazing dream curl gel is the shizz!) and I then just let it air dry. Best routine if found yet. There’s a great curly girl method instagrammer who has helped me a lot! Called Curleamum. Hope that helps a bit!

Latest posts

Back