day courses and mma's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mowse

Reaction score
i spoke to a girl i used to work with whos a hairdresses (just qualif) and she s just done a 2 day nail course . she told me that they taught her silk and tip n dip using resin they wouldnt teach her acrylic as it has been banned and if caught using it the health and safety dudes will close you down. she now calls herself a nail tech.
wot gripes me is i have a vctc diploma which i worked a year for and got as much experience doing nails as i could before i could call myself a qualifiyed nail tech. how come it is ok for her after a day or two to be able to do nails in a salon on paying customers and i explained about mma which she had no idea about or the health and safety issues concearning sanitizing, fungus ,onychomicosis etc etc how can they get away with it i think these courses should be stopped and let us trained proffesionals do our jobs all i hear is my nails are wrecked after i had extensions and i think mm yes i wonder how much training the tech had :rolleyes:

i spoke to a girl i used to work with whos a hairdresses (just qualif) and she s just done a 2 day nail course . she told me that they taught her silk and tip n dip using resin they wouldnt teach her acrylic as it has been banned and if caught using it the health and safety dudes will close you down. she now calls herself a nail tech.
wot gripes me is i have a vctc diploma which i worked a year for and got as much experience doing nails as i could before i could call myself a qualifiyed nail tech. how come it is ok for her after a day or two to be able to do nails in a salon on paying customers and i explained about mma which she had no idea about or the health and safety issues concearning sanitizing, fungus ,onychomicosis etc etc how can they get away with it i think these courses should be stopped and let us trained proffesionals do our jobs all i hear is my nails are wrecked after i had extensions and i think mm yes i wonder how much training the tech had :rolleyes:

Even well trained techs have clients moaning that wearing enhancements has wrecked their nails. Clients cannot get their head around the fact that their nails were vulnerable to damage and thinner before acrylics so why would they be any different after. Subconciously they get used to the strength and thickness of enhancements and then when they are removed they go "hey, why are my nails so soft and bendy?", or "my nails are ruined 'cos I broke one the very next day after my acrylics were taken off!". They seem to expect miracles and then get annoyed with you when you don't deliver:irked:

Sorry for the rant, but I've just lost one of my best natural nail clients because she wore gel overlays (soak offs) for a few weeks while some broken nails grew out. I know that her nails are the same if not better than before the gels went on but she isn't having any of it:rolleyes:

I think this general attitude is partly the result of all the scare stories circulating as a result of the poorly trained nail techs bad techniques. One story feeds off the other and then all us good technicians are tarred with the same brush.

Ok, now I've got that out of my system I'll go somewhere else and say something nice to balance out the bad vibes :lol::hug::hug:

I'm currently doing my training for all things beauty and am doing it on the short, intense courses. I understand what you're saying but I also see it from the other side. It would be impossible for me to take on a full time or evening course long term as I work full time - can't cut down on hours as need to pay school fees, am a single mum and spend approx 2 & half hours a day driving!!:eek: I wish I could do a "proper" course but sometimes circumstances do not allow. I have already completed the warm waxing (1 day), eyelash perming & eye enhancement courses (both 1/2 days) and feel completely confident that the 5 day nail tech course I start on next week will be just as thorough.
Also I believe it is down to the individual not necessarily the course they take. Personally I will practice practice practice until I'm doing perfect nails before I start on paying clients!!:hug:

I'm currently doing my training for all things beauty and am doing it on the short, intense courses. I understand what you're saying but I also see it from the other side. It would be impossible for me to take on a full time or evening course long term as I work full time - can't cut down on hours as need to pay school fees, am a single mum and spend approx 2 & half hours a day driving!!:eek: I wish I could do a "proper" course but sometimes circumstances do not allow. I have already completed the warm waxing (1 day), eyelash perming & eye enhancement courses (both 1/2 days) and feel completely confident that the 5 day nail tech course I start on next week will be just as thorough.
Also I believe it is down to the individual not necessarily the course they take. Personally I will practice practice practice until I'm doing perfect nails before I start on paying clients!!:hug:

That's the way to go - plus you've found this site :green:. I've learned more from this site than I was taught at college and it's great having access to such a wonderful resource. Hats off to everyone involved :hug:

yeah it's great on here! I love it!:lol:

The red highlighted text above is complete rubbish hunny. I suggest that you give the 'tech' and the 'trainer' the website address for the Salon Geek so that they can come and learn the facts, because what they're spouting is definitely not fact.

:hug:

I was told the exact same thing on the course i done, i was also told the reason we were being taught tip and dip was because it would eventually replace l&p. Thank God i found this site which has cleared up so much.:)

i hear you jane 5 days is longer than 1 for nails . wot annoys me is shes gone straight to working with paying clients rather than offering a reduced rate until she perfects her technique. iv no dowt there are some people who are brill after a day but its all the troubles you get along the way , yellowing, splits repairs , etc anyway good luck to you on your courses you seem to have a good attitude. driving kids t school i got that one two and im married but still feels single mom most of the time i tell ya

Latest posts

Back