Days off/Christmas working?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenBella

Reaction score
Hi all,

This December marks my first year in business and this December is also seeing lots and lots of bookings which is great. I'm a bit unsure how to handle days off, obviously I don't want to turn down clients but I don't want to work myself into the ground.
There's days where I am back to back which is fine, but I'm interested in how the rest of you work and set your days. I've no problem working 7 days a week but with clients wanting appointments at all times from morning til night I do need to have some sort of structure, even if its just to eat!!

:)

You need to set yourself a working hours schedule. Have a cut off time and set aside an afternoon for paperwork/personal time. I have a salon and work seven days a week up to Xmas but if I had a home salon/mobile business this is how I'd run it. I'd also make sure I had a list of clients wanting appointments in case of cancellations as there is nothing more annoying than turning someone away then having a free spot come up at short notice.
Send a text/email to your client list detailing your working hours and then they know what's acceptable.

That's actually a great point about time for paperwork...I'm terrible at keeping on top of admin and its even more of a chore then to do it because its usually so backed up!
It's probably a good idea to have a set schedule because not having a specific timetable means I'm last minute with personal plans etc..and I feel like I'm always on call!

we work up until and including 22nd dec then are open 27th 28th and 29th then close until re-opening on sat 5th january so we get plenty of down time after christmas and dont care about how busy we are in the lead up (bring it on). we do this every year and the clients seem to really understand we need a few days grace.

I have done all my Xmas shopping and am really organised this year 2nd Xmas at the salon last year I was running around like a headless chicken. The way I see it is I will work non stop the two weeks before Xmas happily do 12 hour days 7 days a week that way I can sit back and relax in January when quiet knowing costs are covered and use January to do all marketing planning etc for the year.

This is my first year working for myself in a salon ... therefore it's been a long time since i i'll not be on a 3 week factory shutdown.

Whenever the salon is open i'll be there .... so working till about 3 on christmas eve, then back open on the Friday & Saturday after Christmas, then till about 3 on New Years eve & then the salon is shut until the 8th.

I'm undecided yet as to take my stuff home with me in case i get a phone call from someone wanting their nails doing ..... i may as well be earning while i'm off !!

Latest posts

Back