Dealing with a client with bipolar

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aimee06

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm just looking for advice on how to deal with a client of mine. So my client has Bipolar, I fitted her hair extensions and they looked lovely, she couldn't of been happier. Couple hours later she texted saying the colours not right and they are not what she asked for and wants them out. After texting back and forth explaining that the colour matched perfectly she finally texted saying it's ok just people making her paranoid. She then posts on my fb page saying how much she loves them, that I did such a good job and all this.
I then get texts last night (a week later) at home 9pm saying she still loves them and asked how she should dry them after washing (even tho it's in the aftercare). I tell her again what to do, I then get numerous texts saying it takes her an hour to curl her hair as the hair isn't curl it's straight (I ordered bodywave). She wanted deep wave but at consultation I explained as her hair was straight deep wave would look silly and she would have to curl her own hair around the extensions. She goes on to say she wouldn't of paid all that money if she knew they wouldn't be curly and feels like ripping them out. I did not entertain this at gone 9pm at night.
How do I feel with her she's constantly up and down, it's making me on edge everytime my phone goes and I see its her I feel sick. I've never experienced anything like this, I know I do a good job I've worked so hard to build a good reputation for myself I'm scared that I'll wake up one day and she's posted bad stuff all over my Facebook.
I know I have to be careful how I deal with this as I know it's due to her bipolar. Does anyone have any advice I didn't sleep a wink last night.
Sorry it's so long guys

Just take a deep breath and remember it's not your fault.
Or hers

And every time she sends a negative text, remember she could probably be at home having another bad episode. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to deal with, but just keep telling yourself. She will have her good days and bad days, but deep down she probably loves her new extensions :)

Stay strong, stay happy, stay understanding :) x

Just take a deep breath and remember it's not your fault.
Or hers

And every time she sends a negative text, remember she could probably be at home having another bad episode. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you to deal with, but just keep telling yourself. She will have her good days and bad days, but deep down she probably loves her new extensions :)

Stay strong, stay happy, stay understanding :) x
That is the best advice anyone could give !! I wanted to say something along those lines but didn't know how to put it lol [emoji3]

That is the best advice anyone could give !! I wanted to say something along those lines but didn't know how to put it lol [emoji3]

Thank you lydia, mental health can be complex and just takes understanding

Hi
My sister is a mental health nurse and I have asked her opinion on this. She said theres not alot you can do I'm afraid. You have to treat her like any other awkward client and if she keeps complaining and are genuinely worried she'll affect your business with negative comments, you may have to tell her maybe you're not the right stylist for her and to try somewhere else. But you also need to be understanding with the irratic nature of the disorder. She also said you do find a lot of people with mood disorders like that change their appearance to extremes to suit their mood, clothes, hair and makeup. I hope this helps!

Mental health problems or mentally healthy the bottom line is this is a CLIENT! Texting you & being a constant source of irritation is affecting your mental health!!!! Be content in the knowledge you have done a fantastic job & look after number 1!!! X

It really hard to deal with clients with mental health, I've got a few clients that i deal with and tbh i just smile through it. Coping strategies that i would incorporate are being extra firm, as you are self doubting yourself a bit. Make yourself crystal clear with your consultations and stick by them or let her think about it over a few days then your go about your daily venture. I know it can feel disheartening when its picked up of your techniques or skill is questioned but its always the case when money is involved, just know that some people are difficult because they are parting with hard earned cash. Sometimes its not even about mental health/bipolar, its about high maintenance thinking they're low maintenance! :) xoxo

I wouldn't blame the bipolar. I have bipolar myself and in my opinion she just sounds mega high maintenence. Deal with her the same way you would any other award client and don't entertain her x

I wouldn't blame the bipolar. I have bipolar myself and in my opinion she just sounds mega high maintenence. Deal with her the same way you would any other award client and don't entertain her x

Bipolar affects people differently, just like anxiety affects people differently. Not one person is the same

Trust me I am very aware of that :) but I still feel that she should be treated as you would any other awkward client xxx

Trust me I am very aware of that :) but I still feel that she should be treated as you would any other awkward client xxx

I definitely agree to a point, if things got really out of hand I'd suggest she finds a stylist that can provide her with a service she's happy with. But I'd be a bit more.understanding with her, if I thought she wasn't being too inappropriate

Thanks everyone for your advice. This client had been getting me down as I have never experienced anything like this before. I did not entertain her and have not heard from her since so, I'm putting her episode down to her having a moment, hopefully this will be the last however if this does happen again I will be advising her to go else where as I really can't deal with it. This may sound harsh but I put everything into my business, it's my life (like most of you I can imagine) I love what I do and I will not let anyone ruin that. I honestly do believe she doesn't mean to do it, but still she's unpredictable which puts me on edge. I will keep you updated if I hear anything else.
Thank you all so much for taking the time out of your busy days to help me I really do appreciate it. Xx

I had a customer that kept constantly saying horrible thing like it's awful it's right mess and such like yet she had me go back every two weeks to do it again in the end I just told her politely that I think she should find someone else as I couldn't put myself through it and she nearly begged me to keep coming saying she liked it :-0 but I just couldn't! You shouldn't have to feel like that for anybody I would definitely be saying goodbye to that one x

Hi everyone,
I'm just looking for advice on how to deal with a client of mine. So my client has Bipolar, I fitted her hair extensions and they looked lovely, she couldn't of been happier. Couple hours later she texted saying the colours not right and they are not what she asked for and wants them out. After texting back and forth explaining that the colour matched perfectly she finally texted saying it's ok just people making her paranoid. She then posts on my fb page saying how much she loves them, that I did such a good job and all this.
I then get texts last night (a week later) at home 9pm saying she still loves them and asked how she should dry them after washing (even tho it's in the aftercare). I tell her again what to do, I then get numerous texts saying it takes her an hour to curl her hair as the hair isn't curl it's straight (I ordered bodywave). She wanted deep wave but at consultation I explained as her hair was straight deep wave would look silly and she would have to curl her own hair around the extensions. She goes on to say she wouldn't of paid all that money if she knew they wouldn't be curly and feels like ripping them out. I did not entertain this at gone 9pm at night.
How do I feel with her she's constantly up and down, it's making me on edge everytime my phone goes and I see its her I feel sick. I've never experienced anything like this, I know I do a good job I've worked so hard to build a good reputation for myself I'm scared that I'll wake up one day and she's posted bad stuff all over my Facebook.
I know I have to be careful how I deal with this as I know it's due to her bipolar. Does anyone have any advice I didn't sleep a wink last night.
Sorry it's so long guys

I could have written this myself! I've had exactly the same recently and it didn't end well. It really got me down, she tortured me!

Just remain professional and keep any messages that prove you have done what you could, just in case it does turn sour. It took me a while to want to carry on in this business as It get to me too even though I knew it wasn't me and I'd done everything I could! Some people just can't be pleased. Just keep going and think of all the positive clients you have :)

Turn her negative into a benefit and a positive have another friend with you to also praise what you have done with bipoler you have extreme lows n highs so when she's negative towards youoffer alternatives but enforce how you like what's shes already got don't you get low from this you always get that one client and you carnt please everyone no matter what keep your chin up continue what your doing and put your selling skills of features n benefits into action good luck hun don't let it get you down xx

My gosh I had this a few days ago :( and I feel for you its horrible when someone can be so cruel about something you care about and something youve put everything in to. My client I did lashes for looked great she paid me but after she paid she was like oh I don't like them maybe its because I am not used to lashes and we left it at that. Next day I got the most abusive message on Facebook about how awful they are and that shes ripping them out!? Of course I had to advise her not to do that but she did it anyway...... I had been to this particular client a few months before and had totally forgotten what she was like :(

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back