Dear Geeks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I missed this thread too - until someone who is very passionate about the subject directed me. Regrettably, I am not able to come on here as much as I used to, purely because teaching and educating has now become a huge part of my already busy life.

Lee's wonderfully written post really sums up my own feelings, and I will be correct to say that she also speaks for the whole of the SEA nail community.

S2/CND's decision to provide education specifically for the SEA market was correct right from the start. Up until then, the SEA market has be hugely ignored by the rest of the industry for a very long time. The progress that some of my SEA students have made in the last 2 years are astonishing.

Through the CND education programme, they have acknowledged the importance of education and delivered by achieving goals in their own busy salons, improvement on their technical skills and even achieving fantastic results in competitions. They have all made me feel so proud of my ethnic background and my profession as a CND Education Ambassador.

Hopefully, by determination and persistance from the SEAs techs themselves, they will win positive encouragement from the rest of the nail industry in the near future which will enable SEAs techs to finally be completely accepted into the nail industry the way that they deserve.

Anna Lee
CND Education Ambassdor

Last edited:
I totally missed this thread! I think it's a great thread and a nice MOT reminder of how we can easily offend others when not thinking about what we are saying or doing.

One of the modules that I teach and assess is on equality and inclusion, and personal impact on others. They are great modules to teach, and a real eye opener for some, by doing classes like these, it makes for a better working/living environment.

Racism isn't a natural instinct, it's taught and bread by fear!

So let's not fall into that trap and have respect for everyone, ( which most do) agree to disagree, and show support and guidance in our communities, educate our clients/colleagues on best working practices,as well as our online forums xxxx

I have now moved this thread to the Nail Forum, although this is a Universal issue I do feel after some posts within the Nail Forum over the last few days that some of our Geeks seem to have missed the very important message within this Thread.
It is vital that all of our Nail Geeks read it......and take on board all the information given and even start passing it on to their clients when they make ethnic references about their last Nail tech!

Education is the only weapon against ignorance.

I have now moved this thread to the Nail Forum, although this is a Universal issue I do feel after some posts within the Nail Forum over the last few days that some of our Geeks seem to have missed the very important message within this Thread.
It is vital that all of our Nail Geeks read it......and take on board all the information given and even start passing it on to their clients when they make ethnic references about their last Nail tech!

Education is the only weapon against ignorance.

Thanks for putting it on here!

This is an awesome thread Chickafish and I think all nail geeks should read this!

Just because a salon is NSS or uses MMA, their ethnic origin has NOTHING to do with it...so think before you type.

Xx

Glad to see this in the main forum where it belongs. Educate don't hate!

That's exactly it. Educate don't hate. Take away the racial issue here for a min. I was on a thread last night with a girl who had just started her business and there was an issue with patch testing a client for brows. Long story short, instead of helping this girl and educating her in a productive way, a few individuals totally jumped down her throat making her feel like what she did and her professional values we wrong and bad. I just feel we are all in The same boat. We were all starting out at some time and a KIND word and positive advice could go a long way. This poor girl. I doubt she will ever ask for help oh SG ever again. Why are we so harsh with each other on here. Why do we feel its ok to break one another down instead of build each other up. There is a mannerism in which we can productively and kindly advise one other. Come on girls. Lets build one another up, be supportive and not rip another Geek apart if she is learning or starting out. Be supportive! Be kind!

I'm confused why do SEA get special training?
Can they not just do the same as everyone else? I think I have missed something? :confused:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm confused why do SEA get special training?
Can they not just do the same as everyone else? I think I have missed something? :confused:

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek mobile app

They are doing the exact same training as special as everyone else ... however to meet their special needs (as we do with anyone who has special needs) we have an educator who is full Chinese and of course speaks various languages, a Vietnamese interpreter when needed to run classes when needed ... Many join in on other classes where English is spoken ... is that not meeting the needs of those who need it when they need it and helping them to excel?? Is there a problem with that? They're a great group and have formed a team as well for competing .. I see no problem with that, any more than I see a problem with someone forming team of CND techs or whatever. We are all after the same goal whether we are Russian, French, etc .. we naturally gravitate to our own but that doesn't mean we are exclusive ... lets not make barriers where there are none. We are trying to break down barriers and it is happening. Very proud.

They are doing the exact same training as special as everyone else ... however to meet their special needs (as we do with anyone who has special needs) we have an educator who is full Chinese and of course speaks various languages, a Vietnamese interpreter when needed to run classes when needed ... Many join in on other classes where English is spoken ... is that not meeting the needs of those who need it when they need it and helping them to excel?? Is there a problem with that? They're a great group and have formed a team as well for competing .. I see no problem with that, any more than I see a problem with someone forming team of CND techs or whatever. We are all after the same goal whether we are Russian, French, etc .. we naturally gravitate to our own but that doesn't mean we are exclusive ... lets not make barriers where there are none. We are trying to break down barriers and it is happening. Very proud.

oh ok I am not quite sure if you are confused and thinking that I was having ago about it... because I am not, I didn't see anywhere about the language, it makes perfect sense now!
and I think that is a wonderful thing as I am sure the SEA agree as a lot of them prob want the education but cant because of communication problems.

Well done S2/CND x

oh ok I am not quite sure if you are confused and thinking that I was having ago about it... because I am not, I didn't see anywhere about the language, it makes perfect sense now!
and I think that is a wonderful thing as I am sure the SEA agree as a lot of them prob want the education but cant because of communication problems.

Well done S2/CND x

Exactly .. and I didn't think you were having a go but equally , I did not want anyone to have a go!! :Love:

So glad to see this posted. Good for you Chicka. I 100% agree and it's angered me also!

Am I right in thinking there is a bit of a story behind there being many Vietnamese nail techs.Wasnt a school opened for the girls to provide them with some kind of career after the Vietnam war.

I don't know how it happened in the UK, but here in the US there is an interesting story about actress Tippi Hedren (remember her from The Birds!?) and her role in getting the Vietnamese community involved in the nail industry - Nailing The American Dream, With Polish : NPR

This is a really interesting and meaningful thread. You are to be commended for initiating it. I am glad to hear everyone's thoughts on the topic. When I started in the nail industry oh-so-many years ago, it was a very different situation. Now that I have returned in a different role, I have been surprised a the racial stereotyping that occurred even within the grant we are working on. Our grant is designed to assist NSS and borderline NSS salons improve. Our definition of NSS mostly revolves around issues of sanitation and education. When we started, only Asian salons were included. I was stunned by this and demanded that any salon that met the standard of NSS should be included, whether they were Asian owned, African American focused or a fancy salon on Newbury Street. Having that diversity in the program turned out to be beneficial for everyone. As the grant moves into its last year, I reflect on how fortunate I have been to have had this opportunity. We've had a big impact on our salons and techs, but I am especially proud of the fact that we helped put an end to some of the racism and snobbery in our little place in the nail industry.

Last edited:
Loving this thread; great post Chickafish. I have a question though. How would you respond to a client when they are the ones talking about "those asian salons"? Sometimes it's just a language barrier. I've had many clients say they came to the spa because no one spoke English at the other places. I can't fault them for that, you should be able to communicate your preferences and get the service you want. However, some clients are prejudiced and referring to more than just language. I usually respond by explaining that plenty of high end American owned salons have shoddy business practices and I know of a very nice Vietnamese salon nearby that does great work. How would you respond to racist comments from clients?

I missed this first time round as I was having a break from all the squabbling that had been on here of late but that is another story!

OK, it's long and a ramble, so bear with me.

I knew the OP's background from reading her comments in the past when she was hurt and angry about something posted along the racial lines being discussed, and I think this is a very educating thread.

Firstly let me say, I lived in the Far East for 3 years or so, and have traveled extensively to the many countries over there, so I know the culture and respect the differences.

We do have NSS all around and also some regular salons where the staff do beautiful work, they are all from the Far East (V). I aim for a different market than the other salons so I think there is a place for everyone creed/color if they are playing by the rule book and trained correctly. I do hear my clients, mainly older though, say they come to me because they don't have to worry about a language barrier.

It's moved on from the days when one tech did a course (or paid a bribe to say they had done the course), the diploma was submitted and licence was applied for and approved at state level and then whoever was on shift just stuck there photo on the licence and we now have laminated licences to stop this. So positive things do happen with education (and regulation).

There is a school in Orlando which is run by a SEA company (V), and many of the new techs in the field are training there and come out very talented and leave some of the girls than came out of the other academies 3 trillion miles behind but these kids are resentful and use the racial comments to critic work carried out.

Recently I heard one person (a hairdresser) say I went to the Chinks and they messed up my nails. I was horrified to hear the word Chinks so I quite calmly corrected her and said no they are actually Vietnamese, as she was too stupid to tell the difference, not really the education I want to be dishing out but I felt I had to as I was offended by the racial connotations.

Saying all this, I do think we are fearful of saying anything negative about things in life these days but when something is factual and if a NSS is owned by Brit, American,Canadian, Vietnamese, Russian, Irish it is going to come into the equation for some, but you cannot generalize a whole race as we have already read.

I do apologise as I had to use some of the words to write the post and if it needs to be changed please let me know.

Last edited:
Loving this thread; great post Chickafish. I have a question though. How would you respond to a client when they are the ones talking about "those asian salons"? Sometimes it's just a language barrier. I've had many clients say they came to the spa because no one spoke English at the other places. I can't fault them for that, you should be able to communicate your preferences and get the service you want. However, some clients are prejudiced and referring to more than just language. I usually respond by explaining that plenty of high end American owned salons have shoddy business practices and I know of a very nice Vietnamese salon nearby that does great work. How would you respond to racist comments from clients?

I do get this a lot. I think because I'm a "well-spoken" English-speaking SEA, some clients are brave enough to ask me things pertaining to a non-English speaking salons/techs as if I'm some type of liaison. :lol: How I respond and what I say would depend on what exactly the client said. I try to be as professional and diplomatic as possible. Most of the time, I find the things said are either repeats of what they've heard or just a general fallacy made from just one bad experience, or multiple bad experiences from one place. And it's quite easy to point out (as you have) that the things they are saying- it's not just one ethnic group that's guilty of it so it easily squashes the racial stereotype. I'm not very bothered by what clients say. It's when a fellow professional is the one being prejudice and spreading these stereotypes, that's when it gets under my skin. I just feel that as a professional, they should know better.

It doesn't matter the industry or profession.
The fact is, regardless of where you are and what you do, you need to be judged by.... YOU. Not your ethnicity, heritage, language, color... anything else. People need to love or hate you based on who you are. If they use some other global reasoning for loving or hating you, then they are just ignorant fools.

I have had phenominal work done by ladies and men of various backgrounds. Some I thought did a terrible job (so I didn't see them again) and some were wonderful, so i was loyal until I moved.

Doesn't matter if I'm speaking of nail industry, hair, skin, car mechanic, physician, nurse, pharmacist... doesn't matter.

I've been poked at for my weight, my religion, my hair colour, my skin colour (I'm so pale I can blind myself in the bright sun!). I just choose not to associate with those people because obviously they are not judging me for what I deserve to be judged for - my personality, brains, talent, for how i care or love, or anything else.

When I have no choice but to care for them in my hospital job. I do that. My job. Nothing more, nothing less. I treat them as I must and kill them with kindness. When all is done. I walk away knowing I didn't let them poison me.

I cannot stand racial prejudices, and as such I do not allow it to penetrate my business. NSS come from all walks of life and when a client makes such references I do set them straight, as in, it is NOT welcome at my place of business.
Just last week I turned away 2 clients because of their rude, unnecessary remarks towards my neighbours. One lady had the nerve to say: "I can trust you, because you are white." I Managed to stay polite but I did tell her I am fully booked and have no time to book her in for the forseeable future.

I still find this thread very informative, and relevant and feel as we have a lot of new nail geeks it is a good time to bump it up for them to read.

As a new tech I appreciate the bump as I just found this last night. I'm still in school, and my class (about a dozen) are entirely SEA (V) with a couple NWA (does that work for North West Asian?) (I) and I'm the one whitey. I adore my classmates, there's great camaraderie, but there is definitely a language barrier. How can you handle the issue of acents? Some of my classmates who have immigrated and been in AU for over a decade are a challenge to understand at times, but definitely know English well. I always feel awful when I can't understand so I'm as polite as possible and ask for whoever to repeat themselves until I do, one student and I practise saying English words together. But this is obviously a massive barrier on the outside world. I would like to suggest to my trainer (also white) that possibly some kind of additional class be made available for students with challenging accents, surely that's not just an English class though, it seems more like speech therapy, can anyone tell me what I can ask for? Or if there's a better way to approach this?

As a new tech I appreciate the bump as I just found this last night. I'm still in school, and my class (about a dozen) are entirely SEA (V) with a couple NWA (does that work for North West Asian?) (I) and I'm the one whitey. I adore my classmates, there's great camaraderie, but there is definitely a language barrier. How can you handle the issue of acents? Some of my classmates who have immigrated and been in AU for over a decade are a challenge to understand at times, but definitely know English well. I always feel awful when I can't understand so I'm as polite as possible and ask for whoever to repeat themselves until I do, one student and I practise saying English words together. But this is obviously a massive barrier on the outside world. I would like to suggest to my trainer (also white) that possibly some kind of additional class be made available for students with challenging accents, surely that's not just an English class though, it seems more like speech therapy, can anyone tell me what I can ask for? Or if there's a better way to approach this?

I was explaining this to someone recently. It's more harder to speak English when your first tongue has a different sentence structure. So instead of just speaking what your head is thinking, you have to restructure it into English sentence structure before speaking. And some languages are so simplified, it gets a little complicated. For instance, my family speaks lao and khmer. When my mother speaks English, it sounds broken because there's some words not used in lao or khmer that's used in English. So instead of "I went to the store, or I'm going to the store" she says "I go the store" because that's how it translates from one language to another. English classes might help, but they'd need to keep at it til they reach advanced English classes, but it's time consuming and they probably feel they'll learn it better just by living amongst English speaking people. Hope that makes sense. My mom's been in the US for over 30 years, works in a English speaking work environment full time, and she took like 2 years worth of English classes but still struggles sometimes.

Latest posts

Back