Debate: tint lifting tint

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RX342

Reaction score
I’m a qualified hairdresser but not currently practicing.

Please settle this debate about tint NOT lifting tint.

My mum has asked two hairdressers (at two separate salons) to lighten her hair by 2 shades. She has been told that would be possible by just putting on a tint in the lighter colour. However, neither hairdresser has achieved lightening her hair by doing this.

Her natural base is 80-100% grey.
She alternates between root touch-up and full head of Wella Koleston 55/0 every three weeks.

According to what I learned about colour theory, tint does not lift tint and her hair needs lifting with bleach.

I have recommended rather than pulling through the 55/0 every other time, she has a gloss on her lengths and ends. I don’t see the point in building up more colour just to strip it.

What do you think?

I’m a qualified hairdresser but not currently practicing.

Please settle this debate about tint NOT lifting tint.

My mum has asked two hairdressers (at two separate salons) to lighten her hair by 2 shades. She has been told that would be possible by just putting on a tint in the lighter colour. However, neither hairdresser has achieved lightening her hair by doing this.

Her natural base is 80-100% grey.
She alternates between root touch-up and full head of Wella Koleston 55/0 every three weeks.

According to what I learned about colour theory, tint does not lift tint and her hair needs lifting with bleach.

I have recommended rather than pulling through the 55/0 every other time, she has a gloss on her lengths and ends. I don’t see the point in building up more colour just to strip it.

What do you think?
55/0 is an intense shade, and it does take a fair bit to lift it some.
If it was 5/0 I'd probably use tint - I know this goes against the general rule of thumb. But there's 1 shade in wella that is the exception to the rule.
This won't give noticeable results-it woukd be more obvious if it was done all over.

My advise to your mum if she was against having her hair bleached and re coloured. Is to leave it as long as possible between root touch ups. This will allow the ends to fade up some. Then if the stylist is a good one, they can formulate a root tint to match the ends. Over time I would encourage the client to keep doing this and I would keep changing the the base colour when I felt was appropriate until we achieved the level of lightness that your mum wants.

If course this is a much longer process. If she wanted a quick option, ask for the colour to be removed or have highlights.

Latest posts

Back