Debate: Too young?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tan_Dan

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I just read on MSN news that a mother (who is a beautician) spray tans her 4 year old daugther.

Do you think this is too young and would you spray someone this age?

Danielle x

I can't imagine a 4 year old standing still long enough to be sprayed and I can't think they would calmly accept the spray on their face.

I would not do this for a 4 year old!!

Jacqui xx

This lady lives about 7 miles from me, and anyone who lives this way probs wouldnt be surprised..all sorts of things are attibuted to that part of the world..parties where keys are thrown in a bowl etc etc etc..not going there, its off topic!!..:o

I had a woman bring her 6 year old daughter for a tan once, it was for a dance comp. I did explain to the woman my age limits etc etc, but she became quite pushy and even offered to pay double, she didn't want to go elsewhere as someone had recommended me to her. I did relent but didn't accept extra money.

It was quite clear the little girl didn't want it done from the start, she screwed her face up and kept moving away from the spray, and became quite distressed. Of course, this stressed me out also, but despite the performance her mother insisted I carry on.

In the end I decided to leave the face and managed the little girls body. I gave her mother some self tan for the little girls face and told her how to use it etc and showed them out. I made up my mind to never allow a client to badger me into doing anything like it again and gave the girl who'd booked it in a dressing down too.

Some would say I should have stood my ground and had I been more experienced/confident etc, I would have. I won't ever do it again and I think any parent who would put their child through that much stress deserves a visit from social services.

When I was a little girl, I made dens with my friends, played with dolls and was in bed by 8 o'clock, I didn't think, or even know about tans, being fat or thin or the importance of looking and feeling confident or "sexy", I WAS A CHILD.
Its reasons such as this and over exposure to too much adult behaviour and adult activities that is robbing the future generations of their innocence and resulting in 13 year old girls becoming "mothers", in my opinion anyway.

Natalie x

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

Yes and no, I think pushing your child to tan is unhealthy for their self esteem and mental development. However, some little girls want to spray tan like their big siblings and mothers. Spray tanning in that sense is like painting their nails. It's not going to harm them, so why not?

I spray tanned when I was in elementary before vacations to the beach so I could fit in. I remember being very excited about it. I viewed it as a treat. Being a Fitzpatrick 1 I was teased a lot by other kids and continued to tan in middle school. Thankfully my insecurities about it faded in high school.

Looking back, I was probably too young but I never suffered any mental trauma from it.

You better not watch Toddlers and Tiaras, that would make your hair curl....no pun intended! All those kids spray tan and some are really really young.

Recent outcry is one toddler, about 4 was dressed up as Dolly Parton complete with Boobs and butt enhancements for a part of the beauty pageant.

Honestly what these Mothers put there kids through.

The other factor to keep in mind is your insurance. You may not be covered to treat children as yound as that, whether you want to or not, so always check your policy first.

I wouldn't have done it I think its way to young and getting some adults to stand in the correct postition was hard enough :rolleyes:

I would also question insurance situation - I know this lady was tanning her daughter but I know that my insurance company would not cover for any treatment on under 16's.

Would you also not have to be CRB checked as you will be with a child who is semi naked even if parent is present??

All in all its a big no from me :)

The other factor to keep in mind is your insurance. You may not be covered to treat children as yound as that, whether you want to or not, so always check your policy first.

was typing reply as you wrote this lol :)

kids grow up too quickly these day, its sad but its a fact . i would be happy to spraytan teens 14 upwards - in fact my daughter has been badgering me for a spray tan party, she's now 14 but no one locally will do it due to their insurance
i have however found lots of therapists promoting spray tan parties to this age group on google, just not in my area
i run teen makeup parties/lessons from age 12+ and have had the occasional parent voice their concerns .. my argument is they're going to be wearing it and experimenting anyway (with or without their parent knowledge, lol) so they may as well learn how to apply it correctly and also learn a good skin care routine from an early age

FOUR?
Are you joking??

Why the hell would a four year old want a tan .at least it's a spray tan eh because there is probably some muppet out there who would put a four year old on a sunbed and some one who'd take the parents money and probably sell them a tan boosting cream or some malanatan injections maybe .at least my parents were a little misguided and thought if you let your kids burn to a crisp this would help to protect their skin against the sun !!!

Interesting feedback people. Ive never really thought about what I would say if a parent asked me to spray their child, eek!!! Thanks for the replies, just thought I'd see what sort of response that topic would bring x

im insured with the FHT, that state that is somebody is under 16, then parental signature must be gained. It also states the client theirselves (no minimum age stated) should sign too....
i do not think a child of 4 is old enough to understand a consultation form, that would be my excuse as to why i would not do it!

Please?

My son will be 4 in 2013!!! Sorry to get on my soapbox now but what is it with people like this?

1) Why age a child unnecessarily?
2) Why make your child stand out like a sore thumb?
3) Why put products on such young, pure, delicate skin?
4) Why even have a child? Why not buy a damn dolly!

People don't come of age til they are 18, yet with parental consent can do things at 16 and some insurers even accept 14. I can live with that. But under 13? That's abuse. The child will grow up with some kind of complex!

Wrong, wrong and wrong!

Where are Social Services when you need them???

Having children is a big responsability, they are not a bloody fashion accessory!!! Grrr

kids grow up too quickly these day, its sad but its a fact . i would be happy to spraytan teens 14 upwards - in fact my daughter has been badgering me for a spray tan party, she's now 14 but no one locally will do it due to their insurance
i have however found lots of therapists promoting spray tan parties to this age group on google, just not in my area
i run teen makeup parties/lessons from age 12+ and have had the occasional parent voice their concerns .. my argument is they're going to be wearing it and experimenting anyway (with or without their parent knowledge, lol) so they may as well learn how to apply it correctly and also learn a good skin care routine from an early age

On this I agree, as you are willing to educate and that is what seperates a good therapist from a charlatan (but 4 is still too young)

Please?

My son will be 4 in 2013!!! Sorry to get on my soapbox now but what is it with people like this?

1) Why age a child unnecessarily?
2) Why make your child stand out like a sore thumb?
3) Why put products on such young, pure, delicate skin?
4) Why even have a child? Why not buy a damn dolly!

People don't come of age til they are 18, yet with parental consent can do things at 16 and some insurers even accept 14. I can live with that. But under 13? That's abuse. The child will grow up with some kind of complex!

Wrong, wrong and wrong!

Where are Social Services when you need them???

Having children is a big responsability, they are not a bloody fashion accessory!!! Grrr

I totally agree! well said!

Way too young! I would refuse no matter how much they begged or offered to pay. Women that do this to their children make me furious! Usually they are failed or want to be beauty queens that try to live their lost dreams through their daughters.

Latest posts

Back