Decisions, Decisions.......

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terese

Reaction score
Hi all, not posted anything for a while now, but have popped in now and again to see whats happening.

Im in a quandary with premises. I am due to sign any day now, however I am getting vcold feet. Mostly because of the rising cost of living...elec...gas....any other things. With the way the economy is going I cant afford to have this fail on me.

I am strongly thinking of mobile work to keep things ticking over and then reevaluate in the summer

Does anyone have any thoughts:)

I would advise you to go with your gut instinct.
If you aren't 100% sure DONT SIGN .

This is the quietest time of the year too! Do you have an existing clientelle already?
If you prefer to go mobile then see how things go from there, then do it hun.
Remember You will still have your rent and bills to pay whether you have any clients or not.
There's nowt like peace of mind.

On the other hand - nothing ventured , nothing gained and all that, but think whats best for YOU and you alone. Its you thats got to pay the bills hun.

Dont be afraid of backing out, its best to do that than struggle and wish you hadn't done it in the first place.

If in doubt - dont do.

Hth a bit
Good luck with your decision.

Elaine :hug::hug:

I totally agree....go with your gut instinct.

Any business takes a long while to build up and it would be a couple of years before you make a profit and the first year you could pay out more than you get in.

Don't be downhearted though. Like you say, either build your mobile biz or maybe rent a room in a hair salon in a busy high street.

Good luck. xx

I have recently relocated to Malvern and was really drawn to the prospect of a fab salon bang centre of a great high street. However, with the economic uncertainty, I have decided to resist the draw of my own premises and have settled with renting a room. It is not ideal but it will satisfy me for the time being and at least I don't have the stress of the overheads associated with leasing premises.

Perhaps take some time out to weigh up the pros and cons. You could always rent a room somewher or go mobile, build a healthy client base and then take the plunge when there is a bit more stability in the economy.

Good luck!

Thanks all for your replies, I really value them.

My gut instinct is to leave it be....the fact that planning made a mess of my application in December is maybe the "sign":confused:I needed! and everything happens for a reason.

I used to live in Malvern....you are not that far from me:)here in gloucestershrie

Thanks all for your replies, I really value them.

My gut instinct is to leave it be....the fact that planning made a mess of my application in December is maybe the "sign":confused:I needed! and everything happens for a reason.

I used to live in Malvern....you are not that far from me:)here in gloucestershrie
My hubby is originally from Gloucestershire. Maybe I have to arrange a Geek meet for this neck of the woods!:)

That would be good...yep worcestershire,gloucestershire, wiltshire...tis a small world...most people on here are in midlands and up further so its nice to be sort of local

Just to let you know, I have decided that with todays current economic limate, I have seen my solicitor this morning and decided not to proceed. My solicitor said, initially when I was due to open at the end of Nov everything seemed fine with economics but now its a greater risk her advice would have been if I was seeing her today would be to leave it and wait and see what happens with the status quo.
Regrets...nope.....I would much prefer to cut my loses now then end up with a load of debt and risk losing my house.:)
~~~~~~~Everything happens for a reason~~~~~~~~

That is sad but I am sure it was the best decision for you and I suspected last week that would be the way you would go.

What are you doing to do in the mean while?

Hi Theresa
Well I have decided to continue with Mobile Work and put more of an effort in building up a client base, which if im honest havent been that bothered about as I was going to open up a salon!!. I am still doing my nvq 3 in the evening 2 nights a week and thats due to finish in Julyish.

I am actually thinking of retraining in something totally different and keep beauty part time, however my other half has just mentioned when he rang something about a plan for the garage:rolleyes:so I will have to wait and see.

Hows things with you?

Hi Theresa
Well I have decided to continue with Mobile Work and put more of an effort in building up a client base, which if im honest havent been that bothered about as I was going to open up a salon!!. I am still doing my nvq 3 in the evening 2 nights a week and thats due to finish in Julyish.

I am actually thinking of retraining in something totally different and keep beauty part time, however my other half has just mentioned when he rang something about a plan for the garage:rolleyes:so I will have to wait and see.

Hows things with you?

I am glad you have decided that you still want to work in the beauty industry and it would be a shame if you had to look for some other career. At least your other half is still trying to find a way forward for you too which can be a big help as he is on your side.

x x x

Theresa
Its been a bone of contention, we are fortunate to have 2 sitting rooms and one is a family room and the other is a cinema room.....so you can imagine that when we moved here around 10 mths ago, a room I had ear marked for a treatment room(the cinema room) became a Mans Cave:lol:.......so I have remained calm, tried other possibilities etc etc and now he realises I need a room! and he obviously doesnt want the cinema room to go, the 4 bedrooms are taken and the only space left is a large cloakroom downstairs(with loo :)) or the garage!!!

Helloooooo

Sorry to hear about your premises not working out, but it sounds like you've got a good outlook on things.

Have you considered renting a room in a hair salon or something? This is what I have done, I only have weekly rental to pay, business rates and utility bills are included (except phone line). The way I see it is, I would spend the same in petrol if I was mobile, and this way I might get some trade from the hair and beauty salon clients.

Helloooo Michelle

Alot of the hairdressers around here dont have the room, i did a wrecky not so long ago...but im watching the local paper for rooms etc...you have to keep an open mind for sure:)

Latest posts

Back